Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-21-2012, 06:10 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K5 Baptism

One of my last pictures before my K5 took a dive in a stream. The camera is now dead. Hopefully it will come back to life after it dries out.

I know, the K5 is supposedly waterproof and has indeed lived up to that claim so far. The battery compartment had a few drops of water in it. The connections (HDMI, USB) cover was not properly closed so water got in that compartment as well. Water also got into the mirror box via the lens. I was using a brand name non-pentax lens that was not weather sealed. Always knew that was an archilles heel but the lens in question is otherwise wonderful, in dry conditions of course..

Most likely I will have to send both the lens and the camera in to be professionally cleaned. In the case of the camera, maybe serviced by Pentax if it does not come back to life after drying out. As for the pictures, the SD card was fine and so were the pictures on it. Interestingly the picture I am posting here was one of the best I shot that day, and recently. Over the past week I have been creating some great images, and was on a roll when I got dunked.
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/dvTfpv2ezCRnx0yTbZr2CJi6lIhWoVCRZLtx1m...eat=directlink

Will post in the forum - once I am back up and firing way. WIll also be seriously considering an investment in a weather sealed lens.

Last edited by theEight; 10-21-2012 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Inserting the picture
11-28-2012, 08:47 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Ouch.
If it was fresh water, things might end well for you.
Best of luck!
11-28-2012, 09:07 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by theEight Quote
One of my last pictures before my K5 took a dive in a stream. The camera is now dead. Hopefully it will come back to life after it dries out.

I know, the K5 is supposedly waterproof and has indeed lived up to that claim so far. The battery compartment had a few drops of water in it. The connections (HDMI, USB) cover was not properly closed so water got in that compartment as well. Water also got into the mirror box via the lens. I was using a brand name non-pentax lens that was not weather sealed. Always knew that was an archilles heel but the lens in question is otherwise wonderful, in dry conditions of course..

Most likely I will have to send both the lens and the camera in to be professionally cleaned. In the case of the camera, maybe serviced by Pentax if it does not come back to life after drying out. As for the pictures, the SD card was fine and so were the pictures on it. Interestingly the picture I am posting here was one of the best I shot that day, and recently. Over the past week I have been creating some great images, and was on a roll when I got dunked.
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/dvTfpv2ezCRnx0yTbZr2CJi6lIhWoVCRZLtx1m...eat=directlink

Will post in the forum - once I am back up and firing way. WIll also be seriously considering an investment in a weather sealed lens.
My brother in law's (not weather resistant) camera got soaked and stopped working for a couple of days before it dried out completely. As tempting as it is, I'd leave the battery out for a few days to let it dry. Hope it works out well for you.
11-28-2012, 09:13 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
To be clear - the camera isn't "waterproof". It is "weather resistant" - but regardless, good luck with the drying process. My non-WR k-x took a big hit of water at the end of this video:

Even with the rainsleeve on, it fritzed out shortly after and was in bad shape. I stuck it in a bag with rice for about a day and a half, and it's alive again (without any obvious consequences). So stick it in a bag with dessicants, give it a day or two, and see how it goes!

11-29-2012, 01:29 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by davek Quote
My brother in law's (not weather resistant) camera got soaked and stopped working for a couple of days before it dried out completely. As tempting as it is, I'd leave the battery out for a few days to let it dry. Hope it works out well for you.
Thanks....need the optimism
11-29-2012, 04:11 PM   #6

JinDesu has a great recommendation for virtually any water-meets-electronics scenario - unless it was saltwater. Rice is extremely effective at wicking moisture and bringing things back to life.
11-29-2012, 07:49 PM   #7

Had a similar experience a couple of years ago with my k100d. Took it tubing on the Chattahoochee river in GA and we both (me and the camera) got dunked -- twice. I wrote about it here in the forum.
Didn't do anything other than let it dry naturally.

Not only came back to life, it's still fully functional to this day. Pretty amazing. I'll post some pics sometime.

One of the reasons I stayed with Pentax.

Blackberry and car key fob didn't make it. Lol

11-29-2012, 08:53 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Years ago myself and a Canon S-30 point & shoot fell into bay (salt water) and we both were soak and camera dead. I removed the battery, when I got home I rinsed it out with tap water and let it sit for a number of days. Put the battery back in and it worked fine for a number of years until I replaced it. Good luck.
11-29-2012, 08:56 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
As far as salt water goes - if you had distilled water to rinse the camera completely for an extended period of time, it would be best.

Otherwise, let it dry completely (the damage is done) and then rinse it with distilled water... then let it dry for like 3-4 days with the rice.

Mine was hit with salt water, but I was pretty lucky.
11-29-2012, 10:45 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Ha, I couldn't imagine other make of DSLRs talking about this topic. Simply surreal. I am a believer!