Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2012, 03:59 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
k5 histograms?

Recently my images taken with K5 have resulted in histograms like these. Do they look OK?

10-22-2012, 04:07 AM   #2
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Please post the related images; hard to tell what's happening here althought you do appear to be underexposed.
10-22-2012, 04:19 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jac Quote
Please post the related images; hard to tell what's happening here althought you do appear to be underexposed.
They are underexposed but I have never seen that comb effect before even with underexposed images.
10-22-2012, 05:10 AM   #4
Veteran Member

That's normal.
Also depend on dark/light background or dark/light subject - the photo may/may not under exp.

10-22-2012, 05:40 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by everydaylife Quote
They are underexposed but I have never seen that comb effect before even with underexposed images.
Same. I not remember also seening comb effect that strong in my RAW pics that are not edited yet, even sometimes pics have little. Comb figure means that there is missing colors between comb spikes and it is not very good sign. Maybe there is reason that ur original pic target not have those colors or ur lens is not cabable to record them...maybe, just guessing.
10-22-2012, 06:40 AM   #6
Veteran Member

You often get a comb when you mess with the contrast of an image in pp.
10-22-2012, 07:05 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 123jippo Quote
Same. I not remember also seening comb effect that strong in my RAW pics that are not edited yet, even sometimes pics have little. Comb figure means that there is missing colors between comb spikes and it is not very good sign. Maybe there is reason that ur original pic target not have those colors or ur lens is not cabable to record them...maybe, just guessing.
These histograms are taken from imported raw files. I first noticed them on the camera display. I will have to try the DA 15 on my K30 to see if the same thing happens.

10-22-2012, 07:09 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
You often get a comb when you mess with the contrast of an image in pp.
This also happens with over processed jpegs which is a sign of missing information but these are taken from raw files.
10-22-2012, 07:35 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I often get the comb effect when shooting through the glass at the hockeyrink. I guess the glass got some brutal optical properties.
10-22-2012, 07:37 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I don't know how you can judge any histogramm without seeing any corresponding picture

Regards,
Arno
10-22-2012, 07:50 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Couscousdelight Quote
I don't know how you can judge any histogramm without seeing any corresponding picture

Regards,
Arno
I understand and I will upload an image with histogram when I can. My point is I have not noticed this until recently. I hope it is because the images have high contrast,
10-22-2012, 08:50 AM   #12
MSL
Pentaxian

Any histogram represents a binning of the information into compartments. It isn't unusual to see these sorts of spikes where one bin is high, the next is low, the next high, etc., and if you re-analyzed the data using a different number of bins you would find a lot of the peaks disappear. I went through a bunch of images I shot yesterday in bright sun using only one lens. Most have smooth histograms, but quite a few showed this sort of spikiness. I don't see it as a problem.
10-22-2012, 08:52 AM   #13
MSL
Pentaxian

I just looked at the Similar Threads that the forum suggested and this one may be of use to you:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/61337-newbie-qu...istograms.html
10-22-2012, 01:18 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
They look OK to me. My take is you've got a fairly contrasty scene and your exposure is set to not blow out the highlights. I would expect the images would be fine with some fill added in PP. And it's the appearance of your images that's important.
10-22-2012, 03:18 PM   #15
Veteran Member

The histogram is calculated from the embedded JPEG in the RAW file, and is therefore representative of the PP JPEG, not that of the un-processed RAW. Hence it will be affected by the settings used for PP the JPEG image in the camera (contrast, colors, WB etc.)