Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2012, 03:16 PM   #1

contradictory battery readings

Before going out today to shoot some test frames with my new 300mm lens, I checked the battery reading in my K5; it seemed fine. But when I got to my destination and changed lenses, the battery symbol in the top panel indicated it was nearly depleted. After shooting a few frames I returned home and checked the reading with several lenses. All but the one I usually keep on the camera (21mm DA*) showed the same low reading; the 21mm continues to report a fully charged battery. When I put the battery into the charged and plugged in, the indicator light was green. I'm perplexed (and have ordered another couple of batteries). Any thoughts?

10-23-2012, 03:29 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I often see a red indicator at times when I know the battery is full, turn the camera off and back on and it usually goes to green. I have never seen it manifest just on one lens or another though. In general I really pay no attention to battery indicators, I do not think they are all that accurate and with the number of shots you get with the k-5 battery it has never been a concern for me. I always carry a spare and if I'm going on a trip or outing I charge both before leaving. That should be enough for over 1,000 frames and that is far more than I'll ever take in one day. On a trip I carry a portable charger and swap batteries and charge regardless of how many shots I took that day.
10-23-2012, 03:31 PM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Virginia Bill Quote
...When I put the battery into the charged and plugged in, the indicator light was green. I'm perplexed (and have ordered another couple of batteries). Any thoughts?
The green light indicates that the battery is charging, and that it is not full. Once the battery is 100% charged, the green light indicator is off on the battery charger.

This might suggest that your battery was not fully charged.

Generally the battery level indicator in the camera does not show any difference between 100%, 80%, 70% charged, and it only start to decrease when you are left with a small battery capacity.

Hope that the comment may help.

Last edited by hcc; 10-23-2012 at 03:56 PM.
10-23-2012, 03:32 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Any thoughts?

10-24-2012, 04:51 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
All but the one I usually keep on the camera (21mm DA*) showed the same low reading; the 21mm continues to report a fully charged battery.
I've seen the same thing with my K-5. When I mount an SDM lens it shows 1 bar of battery. When I mount a screwdrive or manual lens it shows 3 bars. At least that's how I remember it, it's a rare occurrence.

Regards,
--Anders.