Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2012, 04:48 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
GPS Data not Importing into Lightroom 4.2

I'm shooting RAW DNG with my K-5 and an O-GPS1 attached. The camera is telling me that I have a 3-D satellite signal. When I import the DNG images into Lightroom 4.2, the GPS data does not show up in the metadata. Anyone know why this is or have a solution? It's very frustrating having to drag images to the map to geocode them!

10-25-2012, 09:01 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have had zero problems with lightroom 4 and lightroom 4.2 with my GPS coordinates although I am shooting JPG. Are you sure your GPS is working. It should be reading with a green icon on the rear camera screen. It worked brilliantly while taking thousands of images in Africa for 5 weeks.

I assume you have the correct software in your camera or you wouldn't be reading anything on your camera. Having tried a couple of other methods, I am really happy with my O-GPS 1

Just checked my DNG files from Victoria falls - the GPS works fine.

Last edited by Bob from Aus; 10-25-2012 at 09:08 PM.
10-25-2012, 09:17 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Get a metadata viewer to see whether the data is in the files or not before import. Or get geosetter and they should show up on the map. I can't comment on setting up O-GPS1 correctly, but I use an external logger and add the gps info to the DNGs before I import to LR -- never had a problem with LR4 seeing the data.
10-26-2012, 04:17 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Get a metadata viewer to see whether the data is in the files or not before import. Or get geosetter and they should show up on the map. I can't comment on setting up O-GPS1 correctly, but I use an external logger and add the gps info to the DNGs before I import to LR -- never had a problem with LR4 seeing the data.
The O-GPS1 is working perfectly and the coordinates are applied to the photo EXIF just as they should. It's only when I import the DNG files into Lightroom that they are not showing up in the metadata. I tried loading the files into a geoencoding program (HoudahGeo) and they showed up just fine. Why won't they show up in Lightroom? I am using the latest Lightroom 4.2. I am going to try and switch to PEF files that use XMP sidecars and see if that makes a difference.

10-26-2012, 04:54 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by glennbp Quote
The O-GPS1 is working perfectly and the coordinates are applied to the photo EXIF just as they should. It's only when I import the DNG files into Lightroom that they are not showing up in the metadata. I tried loading the files into a geoencoding program (HoudahGeo) and they showed up just fine. Why won't they show up in Lightroom? I am using the latest Lightroom 4.2. I am going to try and switch to PEF files that use XMP sidecars and see if that makes a difference.
Huh. So if you import them and then go to the "map" tab, you just get nothing?
10-26-2012, 05:15 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Huh. So if you import them and then go to the "map" tab, you just get nothing?
That is correct, but I just thought of something. I was using an new Eye-Fi 16GB card and it's possible that the geocoding capability of the card was canceling out the GPS data on the files. This is just a theory, but I'll check it out this weekend with a different card (not Eye-Fi) and let you know.
10-29-2012, 01:20 PM   #7

Original Poster
Well, as it turns out the GPS metadata was present on all the images. The reason Lightroom was not recording it is because I was using a metadata preset that simply overwrote the GPS coordinates. The choice then is use the preset and then add the GPS data manually or don't use a preset and add other IPTC data manually. It seems you can't have both which strikes me as a bit weird.

10-29-2012, 01:35 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by glennbp Quote
Well, as it turns out the GPS metadata was present on all the images. The reason Lightroom was not recording it is because I was using a metadata preset that simply overwrote the GPS coordinates. The choice then is use the preset and then add the GPS data manually or don't use a preset and add other IPTC data manually. It seems you can't have both which strikes me as a bit weird.
What metadata preset? Seems like you should be able to only include the metadata you are actually setting in the preset, and the rest should be unaffected. After all, your lens data, etc is preserved, right? But I'm curious what you would be presetting in the metadata -- I have some copyright stuff in there, but it has no effect on GPS or anything else...
10-29-2012, 01:40 PM   #9

Original Poster
I 'preset' my copyright stuff and a few other fields like city, state, etc. When I apply the preset, it 'erases' the GPS data. Maybe I'm checking (or not checking) the preset template correctly? I'll have to play with it and see.
10-29-2012, 01:51 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Only the stuff you are setting should be checked, and then it should be fine. As long as "camera info" is unchecked (which is where the GPS stuff goes), it shouldn't overwrite that data. Even if it is checked, as long as the "GPS" field itself (on the right) is unchecked it should still work. Sounds like I have pretty much the same preset as you do, which is automatically applied on import. The only things I have checked are the "IPTC Copyright" and "IPTC Creator" sections...
10-29-2012, 02:19 PM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks! That appears to have done the trick. All the check boxes plus red and black text and then the instructions printed in the text boxes was confusing me for some reason. I'm normally a pretty bright guy so I'll just chalk it up to a 'brain fart' and leave it at that. Thanks again!