Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2012, 05:22 PM   #1
Veteran Member

"Preliminary" K-5IIs Review.

Pentax K-5 iis First Impressions - YouTube

10-26-2012, 05:34 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
holy cow...........this sounds very exciting!
10-26-2012, 05:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Looks good. Ed's a pretty down to earth guy, I watched a few of his videos on his channel.
10-26-2012, 05:55 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm getting two as I don't want to favor one '5 over the other. I'm curious as to how the '15/'31/'43' & '77 will hold up. Aid or impede?

10-26-2012, 06:22 PM   #5
Veteran Member

It's nice to see the K-5 IIs will most likely be successful in some areas such as resolition. However, it can't of course achieve things related to the physical size of sensors.

I handled a K-5 IIs at a camera shop today. It does seem to have smarter auto-focus. I tried AF with macro focusing on the 100mm f2.8 WR in indoor store lighting conditions and it felt a bit better than a K-5 would have. It did still hunt though.
10-26-2012, 06:34 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just watched it 5 times over, there could go my hard earned savings.
10-26-2012, 07:22 PM   #7

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Looks good. Ed's a pretty down to earth guy, I watched a few of his videos on his channel.
Exactly. That's what makes his videos unique comparing to those from other gear review channels, who need to care about those sponsors' brand images, and tend to say things not so critical.

Last edited by kesong; 10-26-2012 at 07:32 PM.
10-26-2012, 07:37 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just watched the video. Just prior to that I looked at Adam's initial shots between the II and IIs which show improvement that a couple of other threads don't. Maybe, the IIs is significantly better. I'll just sit back and continue reading. I do have a couple of more lenses I could sell that I am no longer really using....

10-27-2012, 10:16 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kesong Quote
Exactly. That's what makes his videos unique comparing to those from other gear review channels, who need to care about those sponsors' brand images, and tend to say things not so critical.
Unique, well it is that!

Critical, yea, although I have to admit I sometimes think (know) I get a little too worked up... (I'm thinking the Pentax marketing department isn't too thrilled with me! Oh well, we always hurt the ones we love... )

Thanks for the comments everybody, nice to get positive feedback!

Edward
10-27-2012, 10:29 PM   #10
Veteran Member

What a poor review... rambling, incoherent and a complete waste of time.
10-27-2012, 10:55 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
You're obviously not used to the American vernacular! Or, maybe, stream-of-consciousness presentation styles.

I think your judgment is a little harsh. Communication is often (admittedly, inaccurately) stated to be 20% verbal and 80% non-verbal. In this case, the non-verbal stuff is as important as the spoken word, possibly more so, because the speaker's heightened interest is plainly visible. Is that important to us, though? Some Forum members think so, on the basis of his past reviews, so I would reserve passing judgment until reviewing that history.
10-27-2012, 11:05 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
You're obviously not used to the American vernacular! Or, maybe, stream-of-consciousness presentation styles.

I think your judgment is a little harsh. Communication is often (admittedly, inaccurately) stated to be 20% verbal and 80% non-verbal. In this case, the non-verbal stuff is as important as the spoken word, possibly more so, because the speaker's heightened interest is plainly visible. Is that important to us, though? Some Forum members think so, on the basis of his past reviews, so I would reserve passing judgment until reviewing that history.
Well, I am American (born and raised) and I have to side with creampuff. The blogger (Ed) obviously liked the K5 IIs, but he definitely had two problems:
  • Showing us evidence of why
  • Expressing himself well enough to convince us in the absence of evidence
My impression after watching the entire video was that he has been looking for a good reason to move away from Canon FF and now has a decent excuse.

Steve

P.S. I have to admit that part of my opinion was based on watching a few other of his videos on the subject of religion. Same style, same issues, very frustrating to watch and listen to.
10-27-2012, 11:17 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Well, I am American (born and raised) and I have to side with creampuff. The blogger (Ed) obviously liked the K5 IIs, but he definitely had two problems:
  • Showing us evidence of why
  • Expressing himself well enough to convince us in the absence of evidence
My impression after watching the entire video was that he has been looking for a good reason to move away from Canon FF and now has a decent excuse.

Steve
I don't mean to start a culture war: just pointing out different styles are just that - different.

And, I don't disagree with what you say, in relation to the evidence. However, it is a blog, and he does say that there will be more to come. If it was a written blog, which presumably would have had the verbal gap fillers and hesitations edited out, would we be so critical? I suspect not.

We're all coming to terms with the changes to the way people provide information with the new medium. I expect both presenter and viewer will change as things progress further. If you read some journalists' work from two hundred years ago, you will most likely find much the same verbal peregrinations, because they were exploring a new presentation form, having been used to oratory, previously. The more things change, and all that.
10-28-2012, 02:02 AM   #14
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by tabl10s Quote
A lot of words...And nothing else.
10-28-2012, 09:51 AM - 1 Like   #15
HSV
Veteran Member

In defense of the youtube poster, which also happens to be one of us PF members...the videos is about initial impressions, not about technical comparisons.

Most people would want to know objectively the difference between the K-5, II, and IIs...and APS-C vs FF or whatnot, but I think that was not the objective of the video.