Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
12-19-2013, 12:55 AM   #91
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I'd recommend starting a separate topic about the freezing issue. Was your battery fully charged?
Hi Adam:

Hope this thread is okay for my question.

I just got BH K-5II, and enjoying it very much. However, I cannot locate any instructions on how to shoot in square format as opposed to rectangular 3x5 etc.
Can you help me on this?

Thanks,

ivan

12-19-2013, 01:08 AM   #92
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
Hi Adam:

Hope this thread is okay for my question.

I just got BH K-5II, and enjoying it very much. However, I cannot locate any instructions on how to shoot in square format as opposed to rectangular 3x5 etc.
Can you help me on this?

Thanks,

ivan
Again, you might want to start a separate thread on this. To get square images with the K-5 (or any Pentax DSLR for that matter), you need to crop in post.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-19-2013, 06:07 AM   #93
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Again, you might want to start a separate thread on this. To get square images with the K-5 (or any Pentax DSLR for that matter), you need to crop in post.
OK, thanks. My K-1 spoiled me, and I found I liked shooting square with it, wishing K-5 had the feature, but I will have to start learning about post processing.
09-25-2014, 05:00 PM   #94
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax K-5 IIs vs Canon 7D no contest

I owned both the Canon 7D and the K5 IIs. As a matter of fact I sold my 7D to purchase the K5. To me the K5 IIs wins hands down in almost every category. The pictures in that review don't tell the whole story, the 7D is way bigger and heavier than the K5. The 7D looks HUGE sitting next to the K5. Some might say this is good, but not for my style of shooting . The 7D had a lot of useless "customization" features that were jammed into the camera and that one would never use(at least I didn't). What the 7D had going for it was a wider selection of huge lenses, faster download speeds and much better photo editor, but sadly that's about it.

Last edited by hjoseph7; 09-25-2014 at 05:10 PM.
12-10-2014, 01:38 PM   #95

The Pentax K5ii and 18-135 WR lens is quite heavy for handle a long time
12-20-2014, 10:30 PM   #96
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

But the K-5II with a DA/FA Limited set is probably the most capable and best quality photographic kit one could get for the size and weight. Travelling with a sub-2kg bag is doable in any situation for me, and the results are always excellent.
12-21-2014, 03:06 AM   #97
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by letuongkha Quote
The Pentax K5ii and 18-135 WR lens is quite heavy for handle a long time
I suppose. It depends on what you are comparing it to. You really won't find a similarly specified camera with an 18-135 lens that weighs less than the K5 II. If you don't need all the features or the weather sealing, cameras like the K50 or K-S1 will certainly be lighter.

I guess I'm used to the weight, because I don't really notice it at this point (I shoot a lot with the DA *16-50 which is quite a bit heavier than the 18-135).

01-08-2015, 12:41 AM   #98

so ive had my Kx since like 09, and one got stolen so ive been through 2! love it to pieces, but im thinking now that the k5 IIs is discontinued and SUPER affordable. i remember it being the mac daddy of the pentax line, along with the k7 i believe? would this be a reasonable upgrade? should i wait? is the k-3 really that much better? i imagine theres gonna be a pretty substantial difference between the kx and k5, but im wondering if its worth the investment as its being discontinued will it be futureproof for the next 2-3 years (amateur use ) like my Kx has held up? thanks guys!
05-27-2015, 08:00 AM   #99

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Why JPEG samples of K-5II and K-5IIs so soft...?
Because they are not like the RAW data, but 8 bit JPG worked within the SW of the Camera.
01-08-2016, 09:08 AM   #100

I have taken some great shots with the K5 and various lenses, but I have had recurring problems with mirror lock up. Bought the camera in 2012. February of last year I had to send it away to be repaired. It just happened again. I did all the stuff that was supposed to help. Finally my husband slapped it on the side and the mirror finally behaved. The battery was was out of the camera overnight. This is a Pentax problem. I have under 50,000 shutter actuations, which I understand might be related to the problem if you haver over 100,000 actuations. What can I do to stop this from happening? Do other systems have this problem? You are out in the field and it locks up and you are stuck. I don't have another camera. I have used continuous shooting mode even for stills. I was advised to do that long ago when I was learning about photography. This was to insure that one frame would be in perfect focus regardless of circumstance. Maybe I should stop that.
04-19-2021, 06:20 PM   #101

Photos: Gallery
K5iis review

Thanks for the reviews. They helped my decide to buy the K5iis. Cant wait to posy photos.