Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2012, 10:58 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K5 Too Dang Small

I received my new-to-me K5 this week and compared to the K20D it's just too dang small. My long fingers just don't fit the small grip. It's hard for me to remove the SD card too which is so easy on the K20D. I don't mind the new button placement and some of the new buttons I can really appreciate (the ISO button for one). I do like the higher frame rate too because I always shoot multiple frames (I'm a little shaky). I feel the same way about my ME Super compared to SV. I've got a battery grip on the way so I'll withhold further comment about size until I try it out with the grip.

I'm also not getting the quality of images that I see here. That's anywhere between from ISO 100-12800 and it doesn't matter which of my dozen Pentax lenses I use either. I'm a little stymied about this. The K5 had about 2400 clicks when I got and I've taken about 400 images so far. I've also to reset a lot of the menu items. It was set to 'soft' focus. Duh. I'll be spending some time in this forum!

11-02-2012, 11:05 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Definitely get a grip. I would say that without one, the K-5 handles much more poorly with large lenses.

Let's see some sample photos and maybe we'll be able to tell you what's gone wrong. It could be an AF issue, slow shutter speed, or a camera problem.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-02-2012, 11:15 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There is definitely a learning curve on the K5! The SD card is just fun to pop out of the slot. I usually get a few feet of air when I remove it. Regardless I will say that once you get used to it, going back to the K20 (as I do from time to time), I actually get confused as to why the controls are now just all wrong...
11-02-2012, 11:27 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I would add as others have said...get a grip for your K-5. I'm a bit over 6'3" and 240 lbs. +....I have big mitts and I have bought grips for both my K10D and K-5. W/o a grip...my bottom 2 fingers have nothing to hold on.

Also hard for me to get my big fingers on the SD card to remove it...much easier with my K10D. I've experimented with backhand grip...it's not too bad now...but definitely not the easiest thing for large people with big hands.

But I find that with many products...hard to find a vehicle that I can fit in comfortably and when it comes to buying clothes...I have to go to Mr. Big and Tall shops...thanks heavens for them.

11-02-2012, 11:36 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Regarding the K-5 IQ, try this for starters: In the Custom menu, turn on Expanded Sensitivity (item 3). Shoot only at ISO 80 for a while (it will help give you better color and overall IQ). Then select the right button of the 4-way control and choose Portrait mode. Change the sharpening in Portrait to FS, +1.

While Portrait and this level of sharpening may not be your final preference, it's a good starting point until you can give us more specifics about what's lacking in the photos.
11-02-2012, 11:50 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Re: IQ. There's no magic. The majority of the great pictures you are referring to were taken in RAW, for which most settings won't affect (ISO and sharpness is about the only ones). It's all in how they were PP'd not to mention the skills of the photographer. Assuming the camera isn't defective (which is doubtful), then its a matter of you to learn how to use it. If I were you, I'd perform a firmware reset to factory defaults before I do anything. Then take it one step at a time (start with reading the manual if you have not already ;-)

Good luck.
11-02-2012, 12:19 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think the big thing with the K5 is to under expose a little bit, keep iso low when possible and use lightroom to massage files to the point that you like them.

As far as size of hands, I shoot with grip in place nearly all of the time and it works for me. If you can't afford brand name, there is a knock off one that is available (not quite as nice, not weathersealed) that would help considerably.

11-02-2012, 12:49 PM   #8
Veteran Member

The grip transforms the K-5 in my opinion. I got so used to mine that when I had to send it into CRIS for repairs I bought a knock-off to tide me over - I just couldn't get used to not having it Funny how quickly you get used to something. The knock-off wasn't too bad for $35. A grip is definitely useful for the K-5 - don't forget about the SD card slot in there too, it's saved me more than once
11-02-2012, 01:13 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the input guys. I should have mentioned that since I first got a K10D I've been shooting RAW DNG. I have also had a grip on the K20D and the K10D before it. Unlike Les I'm a lot smaller at 6' 2" and 198 lbs. Another thing I like about the K5 is it's light weight and if the grip is light too it'll make it easier to lug about when I go traipsing around Yellowstone, etc. I've been using LR since Ver 1 beta and it does 99% of my workflow. Here are a couple of test images PP in LR 4.2. Oh. did I mention that I've been shooting with a Pentax for 50 years now?

ISO 12800

ISO 12800

ISO 12800

ISO 12800

ISO 400

ISO 400

ISO 100

ISO 100

[/CENTER]
11-02-2012, 05:55 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I too am a big guy (6' 240 lbs) I bought my K-5 without the grip, I realized that I really needed a grip for it, because like others have said here before-"my last two fingers have nothing to hold onto" once I got the grip, the total setup "just fit" perfectly in my hands, I rarely take the grip off unless I want to pack lite and want to hook the camera onto my belt holster (the Capture made by Peak Design)

With larger lenses on the camera the grip really helps out when it comes to holding the camera still, a lot of my shots are a lot sharper since I got the grip, however I don't know for sure if it is because of the grip.

Another note- I recently realized (after reading a few threads in here) that I can just plug in the USB cord to my computer to upload images off of my camera. When I first used a digital camera (ever) it was one of those AOL digicams (probably around .1 megapixels) I tried pluggin it in to upload my images but learned very quickly that it took forever to get the images on the computer, the camera would heat up pretty bad, and it would drain a good set of batteries each time, so ever since then I shied away from using the USB connection. Nowadays the USB connections have improved in major leaps and bounds. I used to pull the SD card out and just plug it into my computer, and then when I was done I just put it back into my camera. about two weeks ago I decided to try the USB and I am literally impressed!. There really is no difference in transfer time compared to the SD card, but I exclusively use the USB connector now because of a few reasons-
1) easier
2)Less wear and tear on the camera and card
3)My fingers are just way too big to try and fish out those tiny little SD cards, but I will change them out if I have to.

I use Light Room almost exclusively for my workflow, and yes you can really do some awesome things to your photos with just a few tweaks here and a few tweaks there.

No matter what some folks may say in here about the K-5 classic, it is still a performer and has loads of potential, ya I could look for all kinds of excuses to go out and buy the next big thing (K-5IIs) but I am not that type of person who feels he needs to justify that kind of "pipe dream" chase.

I may one day get the IIs but I want to wait until they come out with another model, and thus I can pick one up on the cheap from one of those types of "pipe dream" chasers I just spoke of. I like getting a new model of something that is at the end of it's "run" because that usually means they most likely have all the bugs and issues ironed out of them by then.

Once you figure out your new K-5 I am sure you will really like it and amaze yourself at the images this little camera can put out.
11-02-2012, 06:29 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
The SD card is just fun to pop out of the slot. I usually get a few feet of air when I remove it. .
Which is strange, because on mine it gets stuck half the time and I have to push it back in and try again.
11-02-2012, 07:08 PM - 1 Like   #12
Forum Member

Small ?
That's the magic of it.
Just have your hands surgically altered to fit the K-5 and enjoy.
11-03-2012, 08:03 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by uptheriver Quote
Small ?
That's the magic of it.
Just have your hands surgically altered to fit the K-5 and enjoy.

You mean these? K5, DA 35 Ltd, 1/15 @ f/3.5, ISO 100.

Last edited by wtlwdwgn; 11-03-2012 at 08:31 AM.
11-04-2012, 11:19 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
Thanks for the input guys. I should have mentioned that since I first got a K10D I've been shooting RAW DNG. I have also had a grip on the K20D and the K10D before it. Unlike Les I'm a lot smaller at 6' 2" and 198 lbs. Mostly I'm a big guy...around the waist ....the doc says I should be around 195-210 lbs....just where you are. Another thing I like about the K5 is it's light weight and if the grip is light too it'll make it easier to lug about when I go traipsing around Yellowstone, etc. I've been using LR since Ver 1 beta and it does 99% of my workflow. Here are a couple of test images PP in LR 4.2. Oh. did I mention that I've been shooting with a Pentax for 50 years now? You have me beat by a few years....I've been using Pentax since 1968.

ISO 12800

ISO 12800

ISO 12800

ISO 12800

ISO 400

ISO 400

ISO 100

ISO 100

[/CENTER]

Very nice photos by the way.

Les
11-04-2012, 01:50 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'm glad I started this thread to get so much feedback. Now that I've had an opportunity to shoot with the K5 some more it's starting to 'feel' better. I look forward to trying it out with the grip.