Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
12-31-2012, 07:31 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-01 offers mic-in, mpg4 and h264 compression, but no vf. K-30 has no mic-in but also offers both formats (overheats also like other slrs). No Pentax is "perfect" for video, but what they offer right now is already very good, even with the Q.

12-31-2012, 08:18 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
for about a year after buying my K5, I had forgotten it could record video. Many months after that, I still have not used it. The feature is that unimportant to me, BUT I do understand why a maker would want to remain competitive by offering it.
12-31-2012, 08:43 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AlessioOo Quote
K30 have a poor video mode (but with a little improverment in front of the K5) and K5II is worst : why ?

I feel Pentax have no will to do a good video mode, and I think it's stupid because there're able to do something great, a full manual mode or a lot of presets, something better than magic lantern would be possible if ever they wanted it !
Why is the K5ii worst?
12-31-2012, 08:45 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
for about a year after buying my K5, I had forgotten it could record video. Many months after that, I still have not used it. The feature is that unimportant to me, BUT I do understand why a maker would want to remain competitive by offering it.
Kind of agree, although I do think having great quality video is a asset, getting round to actually using it is another matter.

12-31-2012, 08:55 PM   #35

Photos: Albums
I'd quite like to "upgrade" to the K-30 from my K-r (same battery/AA adapter to use between both is great) however since it can't take an external microphone, it holds me back. The mic on the K-r is completely worthless and I imagine the K-30 is no better. For video to be usable a third party "real" mic is necessary, I think.

However, ultimately I don't really care; I got my DSLR to take photos, not video. I just like video occasionally because I can. Even if the quality is really depressing.
01-01-2013, 01:28 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I find 1080p to be actually sorta overkill already for basic video-taking... Back then when SD was the standard only a few wanted HD, but now it seems a lot are askung for 4k video in tools made for stills...

But well to each his own I guess.
01-01-2013, 04:54 AM   #37
Veteran Member

OK. If you take video on that level the K-5 won't be sufficient. But for casual shooting it is fine.

A Pentax with all the magic lantern stuff would be great. It is true, while Canon hurts their video camcorder sales Pentax has nothing to loose. They could open up a new big market for them.

Keep in mind the sampling rate of audio in Pentax DSLRs is quite poor. Even when you use an external mic.

AFAIK the K-01 also doesn't use the sensor shift SR for video, so it is as bad as the K-30. You can see that in test videos of the K-01.

01-04-2013, 06:19 AM   #38
CDW
Site Supporter

Here is my take regarding video production using DSLRS:

Few, if any DSLRs, including the latest Nikons and Canons deliver what would be considered professional video quality. They deliver video that looks good to the average person and can be massaged with post processing, making it acceptable but in no way is it broadcast quality video as compared to that delivered by $50,000.00 studio cameras.

The big draw of DSLRs with small indie film makers is the ability to use primes, control DOF, etc. For news gathering organizations, it's the dual purpose (still and video) capability and compactness. For the average person, a small mid price palm sized HD cam will deliver better overall results for family and travel video. My previously owned 5D2 did not even come close to delivering the IQ of my lowly Canon HV20 HDV format. Certainly there are hacks to improve the features and video performance of several DSLRS but why bother? Why not work with a dedicated video camera with professional features and inputs/outputs instead of creating a Rube Goldberg monster with add-on hacks and hardware? To my knowledge, only Panasonic is delivering a consumer DSLR product that incorporates high bit rate video and time code. Even then, the product is hampered by lack of professional grade input/outputs, requiring clunky adapters to interface in a professional workplace.

Looking ahead, the reality is that 3-D 4K video is here in the professional cinema arena and in 2-4 years it will be pervasive as the delivery format for the high end consumer market and 1080 will be relegated to the same position now filled by SD. If you don't believe that, simply have a look at what's coming next week at the Winter Consumer Electronics Show from SONY, SAMSUNG, etc.
01-04-2013, 08:20 AM   #39
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by CDW Quote
Here is my take regarding video production using DSLRS:

Few, if any DSLRs, including the latest Nikons and Canons deliver what would be considered professional video quality. They deliver video that looks good to the average person and can be massaged with post processing, making it acceptable but in no way is it broadcast quality video as compared to that delivered by $50,000.00 studio cameras.

The big draw of DSLRs with small indie film makers is the ability to use primes, control DOF, etc. For news gathering organizations, it's the dual purpose (still and video) capability and compactness. For the average person, a small mid price palm sized HD cam will deliver better overall results for family and travel video. My previously owned 5D2 did not even come close to delivering the IQ of my lowly Canon HV20 HDV format. Certainly there are hacks to improve the features and video performance of several DSLRS but why bother? Why not work with a dedicated video camera with professional features and inputs/outputs instead of creating a Rube Goldberg monster with add-on hacks and hardware? To my knowledge, only Panasonic is delivering a consumer DSLR product that incorporates high bit rate video and time code. Even then, the product is hampered by lack of professional grade input/outputs, requiring clunky adapters to interface in a professional workplace.

Looking ahead, the reality is that 3-D 4K video is here in the professional cinema arena and in 2-4 years it will be pervasive as the delivery format for the high end consumer market and 1080 will be relegated to the same position now filled by SD. If you don't believe that, simply have a look at what's coming next week at the Winter Consumer Electronics Show from SONY, SAMSUNG, etc.

You do realize that studios are using 5DII and likely the III for shooting movies and among the most popular shows on TV, right? The last couple seasons of House, for example, were shot with 5DIIs and when there was word of the discontinuation of the II, studios started buying them up like crazy.
01-04-2013, 09:28 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Yeah, House was shot on the 5D Mk II. The IMDB page lists two Arricams (35mm film) and the 5D Mk II. I have seen several TV shows/documentaries (the good looking ones) in Germany using DSLRs, probably 7D and 5D Mk II. Making of for a Singaporean drama show (one of those with high production values, which is actually quite rare, most are rather crappy and cheap) where you could clearly see a DSLR.

Heck, even the BBC used a Sony NEX for at least one of their productions. According to Wikipedia a BBC Two comedy series was produced with the 5D Mk II, then a TV movie by the BBC. The BBC One (!) drama Hustle seems to be shot on the 5D Mk II as well. Hawaii Five-O? 5D Mk II. Even the Avengers is supposed to have shots done with the 5D Mk II.

Wikipedia also claims that the 7D was used for 127 Hours (Danny Boyle of Trainspotting and Slumdog Millionaire fame, together with some 35mm cameras, 5D Mk II and 1D Mk IV amongst others), The Avengers, Black Swan (together with the 5D Mk II and 16mm film cameras), Red State (Kevin Smith, used alongside the Red One MX), Act of Valor (together with some Arriflex 35mm cameras, the 5D Mk II and the 1D Mk IV), Tiny Furniture (only 7D) and some other movies.

It is kind of a big deal, then.

Also 3D is good for some... well, few sorts of movies. 4K... yes, nice. But not for every production, though big ones will probably be 4K as far as possible. Canon already offers something in that area. Why not Pentax?

Anyway you criticised the audio inputs: For wedding videographers I see the problem. Or perhaps even smaller indie productions. But don't they record the audio seperately anyway in big cinema productions? Often times after the video was shot? DSLRs are rather useless for consumers who just want simple video. For them a decent video camera is clearly the better choice. But when it gets more professional...
01-04-2013, 10:11 AM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
You do realize that studios are using 5DII and likely the III for shooting movies and among the most popular shows on TV, right? The last couple seasons of House, for example, were shot with 5DIIs and when there was word of the discontinuation of the II, studios started buying them up like crazy.
One *episode* of House was shot with a DSLR, basically as a gimmick. The professionals are not shooting movies and TV shows all the time with these things, these use REDs.
01-04-2013, 10:17 AM   #42
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
One *episode* of House was shot with a DSLR, basically as a gimmick. The professionals are not shooting movies and TV shows all the time with these things, these use REDs.
Incorrect.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EOS_5D_Mark_II#Independent_film_and_television

There are references all over the place about what and which episodes were shot because they are trying to be pioneering in this mode of video shooting.
01-04-2013, 10:31 AM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
Incorrect.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EOS_5D_Mark_II#Independent_film_and_television

There are references all over the place about what and which episodes were shot because they are trying to be pioneering in this mode of video shooting.
What's incorrect -- your link says the same thing. They did one whole episode and then it says "portions" of the seventh season -- isolated bits and shots where it suited them I guess. I'm not saying no one ever uses them, they have advantages in some situations, but they are hardly taking over. Why not post all the links to the professional cinematographers/videographers who hate and ridicule them because they want to use a real professional tool?
01-04-2013, 10:35 AM   #44
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
What's incorrect -- your link says the same thing. They did one whole episode and then it says "portions" of the seventh season -- isolated bits and shots where it suited them I guess. I'm not saying no one ever uses them, they have advantages in some situations, but they are hardly taking over. Why not post all the links to the professional cinematographers/videographers who hate and ridicule them because they want to use a real professional tool?
Wow, history revision.

On top of that, you're ignoring series being filmed and shots for major productions.

And actually, I am mentored by pro photographers and videographers (not too hard to figure out who they are at this point) and they ALL have 5DIIs they are using professionally, alongside their studio equipment.
01-04-2013, 10:39 AM   #45
Pentaxian

You said the last couple of seasons of House were shot on it, and they weren't, and you own link backed me up on that. Anyway, nevermind, getting off-topic...
Closed Thread