Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2012, 08:44 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K-5 Frame Wobble

I have been doing a lot of product photography lately, and I'm noticing that, shot to shot, my frames shift slightly on a vertical axis. I have shake reduction turned off, and i have a very good tripod (purchased when my school's photo dept. was requiring students to shoot on 4x5 cameras), and I'm even using either PK Tether to fire the shutter or my wired shutter release. I am not touching the camera or tripod while I shoot. And now that I think of it, I had the same thing happen when I did a time-lapse once.

Has anybody else noticed this? If so, is there a fix?

11-09-2012, 11:47 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do you have automatic horizon correction enabled? It could be that either (a) what you're shooting is crooked or (b) your electronic level is misaligned.

If you suspect it's the latter, try upgrading your firmware, or get the camera serviced. Also, a quick fix would be to disable auto horizon correction entirely

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-09-2012, 12:11 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tzeentchiangod Quote
Has anybody else noticed this? If so, is there a fix?
I noticed this myself just yesterday. Well, actually I've been seeing this for a while, but I put it down to some play in my tripod quick release. However, now I have a different quick release. I was using live view and I noticed that even though I framed the shot level, when the review image came up, it was tilted. I turned off horizon correction, and that *seemed* to take care of it--more testing is called for.

I'm not keen on sending my camera for repairs, so if doing without horizon correction is what it takes, so be it.

My firmware is up to date and my camera was manufactured in June of this year.

Should there be any further observations, I'll report them here.
11-11-2012, 08:10 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks for the tip, Adam. As johnyates says, this will take some further testing.

11-11-2012, 09:44 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I did some testing, and found I could not reproduce the tilting. Go figure.
11-28-2012, 12:12 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Update:

I went out Sunday and shot handheld with horizon correction turned on. It seemed to be working really well--all, except for a very few, of the horizons were perfectly horizontal. The ones that were tilted were tilted to such an extent that they were beyond the capabilities of the horizon correction feature. So, that's good.

Did a few shots yesterday, horizon correction turned on, with the camera mounted on a tripod, triggered by the two second self timer. The horizons shifted between shots.

Conclusion:

Just as it is advised to turn off shake reduction for tripod work, it seems also a good idea to turn off horizon correction when using a tripod--probably for the same, or similar, related reasons.

So, from here on in, that's what I need to remember to do.