Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2012, 11:26 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sometimes one K5 feature too many

Sometimes new technology adds features that get away from me. This weekend I was shooting an awards ceremony. I had an area set up in the corner with light stands and a background for the winners. I use wireless triggers of the low cost variety, and they work 95% of the time sync'd at 1/180 at longer distances, but 100% of the time at 1/125, so I generally shoot in manual at 1/125 rather than X mode. This place was dark, and ambient light was not an issue anyway.

Halfway through, my K5 would no longer allow me to set 1/125 as a shutter speed. After muttering a few words to myself about sending it for service, I set it at X and finished, luckily without missing a sync. ( I was only a few feet from my strobes). Back at the house, I opened the manual for my year-old K5 and found the issue in part of the manual I had missed. I had somehow pressed the green button, and changed the program line. Manual mode has a program line? I disabled this feature.

I've had the feeling that the K5 was a bit quirky, compared to the K20d. Perhaps the answer is to RTFM. How many other little "features" are out there in this and other advanced cameras, waiting to trip up those of us with multiple bodies who don't know the depths of all our menu trees?

11-12-2012, 11:52 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That's why you just have to read the manual

I wouldn't say there's anything illogical/annoying/wupsie about latest Pentax dSLRs. I've seen books and workshops for Canikons. A concept I kind of find funny, but perhaps I'm just igno/arrogant on this area.
11-12-2012, 12:03 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With all of these RTFM or RRTFM will answer a lot of questions. Been there, done that.
11-12-2012, 12:08 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I understand and have had similar issues with my K-5. That is why I have the manual in PDF and available on both my iPad and phone for viewing in the field. I suggest that might help in the future.

11-12-2012, 12:36 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have read the manual several times. The manual is helpful, but at close to 3/4" thick, it is hard to carry around in your head, and reading something in a dark hall in the middle of a shoot is also not always possible. It seems to me that a mode which defaults it to work like a previous model would help--especially when you are using both in the same shoot.

I'm just curious, but why do you need a program line in manual mode, and why does it need to limit the available shutter speeds?
11-12-2012, 12:39 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I have read the manual several times. The manual is helpful, but at close to 3/4" thick, it is hard to carry around in your head, and reading something in a dark hall in the middle of a shoot is also not always possible. It seems to me that a mode which defaults it to work like a previous model would help--especially when you are using both in the same shoot.
Couldn't agree more.
11-12-2012, 01:51 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote

I'm just curious, but why do you need a program line in manual mode, and why does it need to limit the available shutter speeds?
Just FYI, the PDF is searchable (unlike the hardcopy) and my iPad and phone are not hard to read in a dark hall given that they are both lighted.

11-12-2012, 02:14 PM   #8
Banned

Just change your cameraset to one camera and buy K-5 II extra.
11-12-2012, 02:21 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The situation is made even worse when owning one of the mid-market cameras (K-01, K30) and one of the top-market cameras (K5, K5II). There is enough variation between the controls and menus to make even the similarities dissimilar.

Heaven forfend one should also continue to use a K10 or K20 body from time to time since it still works and still does some things better than a newer model.

These are, however (IMHO) relatively small complaints.
11-12-2012, 04:08 PM   #10

I have both the K5 and the K7, so far I haven't encountered any of your problems, yet. I guess thats why they say just keep shooting. That's how we learn to take better pictures. Lucky for you, you were able to figure out your problems and correct them.
11-12-2012, 04:45 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Almost not a complaint but an observation.