Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2012, 10:16 PM   #16
Closed Account

P.S. - DNG files contain a JPEG preview so I guess your PEF JPEG preview file was also the Camera processed version. LR displayed the JPEG preview but when ACR opened the raw file, it hadn't been processed by the camera so you got the as shot in accordance with your Camera Raw settings.

11-14-2012, 11:40 PM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ponosby Britt Quote
The camera LCD Display is a JPEG display. The RAW file has to converted to be displayed on the camera LCD. The camera histogram is also displaying the JPEG conversion. It has nothing to do however with the Raw DNG file.
I understand that, and knew that before getting in to what I was saying later (the original post alludes to this).

My following argument was that Pentax shouldn't alter the RAW JPG preview, and should have reserved these settings for JPG only exposures.

But the more I think about it, I can also understand why Pentax allows users to set the "auto develop" settings to affect the RAW preview, especially now understanding that some select software (anyone know which?) can read the auto develop settings. In a controlled environment or preference of artistic interpretation, (say someone who likes B/W high contrast) they may want to see the preview as a close(r) or final approximation of that development and have them wired in as a preference.

I think that I've changed my "wish" from wanting Pentax to disable this for RAW, to Pentax setting this as ACR settings when saving DNG files.
11-15-2012, 10:47 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I shoot RAW+JPG in monochrome a lot. Lightroom will import the image, and it will show the black and white JPG aside the black and white RAW. If I select the RAW, Lightroom will retrieve all the color data and display it that way for when I go to work on it, and it will stay that way from then on.