Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: K-5II or K-5IIs, which one? (assume prices are the same)
K-5II 2328.05%
K-5IIs 5971.95%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2012, 10:01 AM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by halfspin Quote
I got the IIs yesterday for CHEAPER than the II. But even if the IIs was at its current price I'd buy it because I want as much sharpness is as humanly possible (for the money). I want to print at least one acceptable landscape shot @ 8 feet wide (2 row pano). The small risk of moire in other shots is not an issue. No risk, no rewards. The only reason not to get the IIs is fear.
I couldn't agree more. That's why i bought a 5iis rather than cowering behind the "moire"argument

11-27-2012, 10:03 AM   #17

I had to make the decision this weekend between the II and IIs. Since they were the same prices, I immediately ordered the IIs for the increased resolution. However, I wanted the 18-135WR lens, and if I bought that with the IIs, it would have totalled $1500 (1050+450) instead of the $1350 for the II+lens. Also, as I read more and more pages here on the forum, it seemed like there was definitely a higher (of course, YMMV) chance to get moire in all types of photography, and I didn't want to bother with the nagging worry that it would show up in my pictures.

So I decided that I would probably not need to worry about the increased resolution since I wouldn't be pixel peeping all my pictures, and that the II would still be an awesome upgrade from my K-x, so I cancelled the IIs and bought the II instead. So the cost savings and realization that I would enjoy the II just as much as a IIs with a little less worry on the side.
11-27-2012, 12:51 PM   #18

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gooseta Quote
I couldn't agree more. That's why i bought a 5iis rather than cowering behind the "moire"argument
I chose the same thing yesterday. Price was the same, and if I can get more out of it, I will go with it. I know it will be a massive upgrade for me from my GX10 I have been shooting with for the past 5 years. Can't wait to see it arrive...
11-27-2012, 01:04 PM   #19

I keep wondering if Pentax thought the II would sell more than the IIs. It doesn't appear to be the case here.

11-27-2012, 06:07 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all who participated, I can see most of you guys want a K-5IIs over K-5II. Let's keep it rolling and see how this end.

For those who haven't tried either camera yet, give it a try, you'd be amazed at how much improvement you'd get, especially under low light
11-27-2012, 06:20 PM   #21

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I bought the K5 IIs at Black Friday's price! I do aerial photography and the extra detail should benefit my pictures. I got an email today saying that it has been shipped! yeei!
11-27-2012, 06:38 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I'd go with the K-5IIs simply because the fears of moire are overhyped imo. I've tried the Nikon D800E over a weekend and I didn't find moire to be a problem, so for me the overall increase in sharpness that the K-5IIs can deliver far outweighs the tiny percentage of moire rearing its ugly head. Even if it did, Lightroom 4 can take care of the moire very easily. I've also been shooting with the Ricoh GXR and the lack of an anti-aliasing filter is a revelation because the sharpness is great straight out of the camera, so one can skip an additional step to sharpen images in post processing.

At any rate even the K-5II is obviously going to be a good camera, certainly better in the AF department than the preceding K-5 which for me had real issues with AF accuracy, especially indoors in incandescent lighting. So while the K-5II is good and addresses the shortcomings of the K-5, the K-5IIs is definitely the one I'd choose.

11-28-2012, 02:25 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
I'd go with the K-5IIs simply because the fears of moire are overhyped imo. I've tried the Nikon D800E over a weekend and I didn't find moire to be a problem, so for me the overall increase in sharpness that the K-5IIs can deliver far outweighs the tiny percentage of moire rearing its ugly head. Even if it did, Lightroom 4 can take care of the moire very easily. I've also been shooting with the Ricoh GXR and the lack of an anti-aliasing filter is a revelation because the sharpness is great straight out of the camera, so one can skip an additional step to sharpen images in post processing.

At any rate even the K-5II is obviously going to be a good camera, certainly better in the AF department than the preceding K-5 which for me had real issues with AF accuracy, especially indoors in incandescent lighting. So while the K-5II is good and addresses the shortcomings of the K-5, the K-5IIs is definitely the one I'd choose.
Agreed!! It's just a case of overhyped info here... I mean, how many complains can you actually see from users of D800E, or even from Ricoh GXR users, with regards to moire with their AA-less sensors? -_-"....

With a price difference of only $100, it's a no-brainer to go for the K5-iiS... Unless of coz for those who's financially strapped.

Nevertheless, an upgrade for the brand is better than nothing at all..
11-28-2012, 04:48 AM   #24

Photos: Albums
I'v ordered "es"!

Zamówiłem "eskę"!
11-28-2012, 09:16 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
I'd go w/ the K-5II.

One reason is that I'm pretty happy w/ the results from K-5 classic, the other is that I'm pretty lousy in post processing photos, don't really know how to remove moire if it's in a photo. And also, since the cost is the same, I'd rather have more (w/ the AA filter) instead of less

Why they charge more for a camera w/o AA filter than a camera w/ AA filter is beyond me.

Well, thought I'd go with a K5II, bought a K5IIs instead . I think his will be my last APSC dSLR camera.
11-29-2012, 07:07 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Well, thought I'd go with a K5II, bought a K5IIs instead . I think this will be my last APSC dSLR camera.
Congrats bro. Join the club.
You made the right choice.
11-29-2012, 07:28 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Congrats bro. Join the club.
You made the right choice.
Thanks Bro. I've gone through all those photos I took w/ the demo K5IIs, couldn't find one photo with any moire problem. And I really love how those photos look even before much process.

Now I just need to find some time to shoot some macros and landscapes to see how well this camera performs there.
11-29-2012, 07:33 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Well, thought I'd go with a K5II, bought a K5IIs instead . I think his will be my last APSC dSLR camera.
N-user?
05-15-2013, 04:17 PM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
B) The colors are different in the IIs, and I'm not so sure I like the overall results as much as from the K-5, in most cases.
Excuse me, since i'm very new to photography, but what the heck does that colors are different? Should I be scared to take the sky green?
05-15-2013, 05:19 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My main (digital) is a Leica M9, which also has no AA filter like the IIs. I wouldn't hesitate to choose the IIs, since I know the moire issue isn't of much concern. But I already have the K-5 for those things where I want an SLR instead of a rangefinder. I won't get another Pentax unless they come out with a good FF that handles MF much better. Otherwise, the D600 looks like the way to go.