Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2012, 03:20 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Show Us Your Moire

I always thought moire is a mostly exaggerated problem in the DSRL world, now we got IIs and moire issue is always a concern, now in several threads I would like to know if I am right and wrong, IIs users increasing, so as D800E users, so would you please post here your pictures suffered with moire, only this way we'll know there is such an issue.

Pictures with moire which is created unintentionaly will be more logical because you can produce moire with any camera if you force them. If RAW files can be uploaded when requested somewhere that'll be more useful so we can personally analyze and test the issue with different software's we have.

Last edited by cbaytan; 11-29-2012 at 04:54 AM.
11-29-2012, 03:51 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If I get a photo with serious moire, I'll let you know.
11-29-2012, 04:06 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Just received my IIs yesterday. If I find any moire in any shots I'll be sure to post it.
11-29-2012, 04:09 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Interesting project.

Speaking of D800E users, I just browsed the last two pages of threads in the Nikon FX forum on dpreview, and there wasn't a single word or post there about moire. It may also be the case that at the end of the day, after some initial anxiety, K-5IIs moire is not of day-to-day concern to anyone.

11-29-2012, 05:54 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've had my IIs for a few weeks now and have seen ZERO moire................
11-29-2012, 08:45 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I've seen quite a bit of moire with my K-30...it is ironic :P
But it doesn't botter me
11-29-2012, 09:11 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cbaytan Quote
I always thought moire is a mostly exaggerated problem in the DSRL world, now we got IIs and moire issue is always a concern, now in several threads I would like to know if I am right and wrong, IIs users increasing, so as D800E users, so would you please post here your pictures suffered with moire, only this way we'll know there is such an issue.

Pictures with moire which is created unintentionaly will be more logical because you can produce moire with any camera if you force them. If RAW files can be uploaded when requested somewhere that'll be more useful so we can personally analyze and test the issue with different software's we have.
I think Adam did a good job demonstrating moire in the K-5 IIs review: Pentax K-5 II / IIs Review - Moire: Real World Examples - PentaxForums.com

That being said, I've been beta testing the new Topaz Detail 3 beta that is sporting a brand-new deconvoluted sharpening engine, which I believe will be a real game changer for camera's like the K-5 IIs and D800E. ie. I've been doing some tests with the K-5 II and found that it is actually rendering more detail or better IQ than the K-5 IIs in equivalent scenes. In contrast to what I'd call too close to call in the past. And so I'm thinking AA'less camera's(such as: the D800E and K-5 IIs) will soon loose favor as we see this technology making its way into Raw Developers, as they will likely be no remaining benefits in using such technology. In fact, I'd go as far as saying that they will likely be viewed as deficits in the end.

Anyways, I know you weren't looking for AA vs AA'less opinions, but I figured the information was significant enough to share for all who are interested in such thing.

Last edited by JohnBee; 11-29-2012 at 10:18 AM.
11-29-2012, 09:49 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
And so I'm thinking AA'less camera's will be a thing of the past once we see this technology arriving in Raw Developers as there will likely be no benefits whatsoever in using them.
Them's fighting words.
Now all you need to do is test cameras like the D800E, 645D, Leica M9 etc to see if your observations match other non-AAs.
11-29-2012, 09:52 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Them's fighting words.
Now all you need to do is test cameras like the D800E, 645D, Leica M9 etc to see if your observations match other non-AAs.
Sorry, this was with reference to: ... camera's like the K-5 IIs and D800E
I've since added a quote to clarify.

PS. I did a case study with the D800/E when they first came out and the results(back then) were too close to call. However, I'm confident this new deblur technology will produce similar results with the D800 as it has with the K-5 II.

Last edited by JohnBee; 11-29-2012 at 10:15 AM.
12-02-2012, 03:01 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
I think Adam did a good job demonstrating moire in the K-5 IIs review: Pentax K-5 II / IIs Review - Moire: Real World Examples - PentaxForums.com

That being said, I've been beta testing the new Topaz Detail 3 beta that is sporting a brand-new deconvoluted sharpening engine, which I believe will be a real game changer for camera's like the K-5 IIs and D800E. ie. I've been doing some tests with the K-5 II and found that it is actually rendering more detail or better IQ than the K-5 IIs in equivalent scenes. In contrast to what I'd call too close to call in the past. And so I'm thinking AA'less camera's(such as: the D800E and K-5 IIs) will soon loose favor as we see this technology making its way into Raw Developers, as they will likely be no remaining benefits in using such technology. In fact, I'd go as far as saying that they will likely be viewed as deficits in the end.

Anyways, I know you weren't looking for AA vs AA'less opinions, but I figured the information was significant enough to share for all who are interested in such thing.
You say that more detail can be extracted from the k5ii with sharpening, who says you cant extract detail on the k5iis, I have seen many cases in my images where a lot of feather detail has been extracted with a bit of sharpening
12-02-2012, 06:06 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Here's a close crop of Perth in Australia using my new K5-IIs. You can clearly see strong Moire on a number of the buildings. This is pretty hard to spot in the full image, I had to hunt around a bit to find it.

12-02-2012, 06:11 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Here is the full picture.

12-02-2012, 06:21 AM   #13
Inactive Account

It's worth noting that moire is persent more subtly on the building on the far left. It's much less dramatic, but the repeating structure is much coarser.
12-02-2012, 06:29 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Shown with arrow pink and green building face is not a moire, is it? If not I am not seeing any moire.
Attached Images

12-02-2012, 06:41 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Yes, that's the main example. That building is not pink and green, it's regular office block grey. You can see colour artefacts on the one to the left of it too.