Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-29-2012, 01:47 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My 2 cents results on K5IIs

I have received my K5IIs 3 weeks ago and I'm really pleased with it. I'm covering the Mahone Bay Father Xmas Festival here and all my hopes are coming true: this camera is a winner in low light conditions and other daytime situations.
I'm finding out every day that I have to tone down all the corrections I was applying to K5 image files: vibrance, saturation and all others, USM is better at way less than 100% (raw sharpening at 50-60 may be a lot better than USM...) In short, each pixel seems to be "fatter" than before and doesn't require as much kicking to perform. My images are turning out stronger in all respects...
It might be fun to read technical comments and comparisons about this new bee but in day to day use, I'm turning out much better images than before.
Well done Pentax, worth every buck and keep on truckin'...!

11-29-2012, 03:00 PM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Thanks a lot for the very useful user report on the new technical wonder!
11-29-2012, 06:50 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yeah, thanks for sharing your thoughts. I have one coming and reports like this are making waiting torture!
11-29-2012, 07:05 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rnovo Quote
I have received my K5IIs 3 weeks ago and I'm really pleased with it. I'm covering the Mahone Bay Father Xmas Festival here and all my hopes are coming true: this camera is a winner in low light conditions and other daytime situations.
I'm finding out every day that I have to tone down all the corrections I was applying to K5 image files: vibrance, saturation and all others, USM is better at way less than 100% (raw sharpening at 50-60 may be a lot better than USM...) In short, each pixel seems to be "fatter" than before and doesn't require as much kicking to perform. My images are turning out stronger in all respects...
It might be fun to read technical comments and comparisons about this new bee but in day to day use, I'm turning out much better images than before.
Well done Pentax, worth every buck and keep on truckin'...!
Evening Rnovo,

I know that its not a fair question, but how much difference is there if you were to guess? 1%, 3% 5%, 10%?

Thanks!

11-29-2012, 07:25 PM   #5
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Evening Rnovo,

I know that its not a fair question, but how much difference is there if you were to guess? 1%, 3% 5%, 10%?

Thanks!
Can't say it like that, the whole image is better. It does remind me of my 6x7 of the 80's: just solid negative density, if you see what I mean...
I did a whole shoot in RAW of a rock band performance during the festival at ISO 3200 wide open at f2.8 1/6 to 1/15 hand held with my DA 16-50 and the good ones are really good with hardly any noise showing and minimal levels and sharpening. Its all less PP time...
That's my 2 cents.
11-29-2012, 08:35 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I also notice k5IIs are more resilient to aggressive luminance noise reduction without looking funny. Damn.... my expectation for K3 is going to be sky high.
11-30-2012, 09:56 PM   #7
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
QuoteOriginally posted by lightbulb Quote
I also notice k5IIs are more resilient to aggressive luminance noise reduction without looking funny. Damn.... my expectation for K3 is going to be sky high.
This is what I turn out with my K5IIs

11-30-2012, 10:55 PM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by vagrant10 Quote
I have one coming and reports like this are making waiting torture!
Ditto… I held off on the K-5—so I've been waiting to scratch this itch for a long time. I can't wait…