Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-30-2012, 11:04 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Weather sealed without flash slot cap

Dumb question, but my 300 F4 is showing up in the next hour or so, and it is raining. The flash slot cap disappeared sometime in the last year+ that I owned this K5, and am wondering if lacking it would cause a problem.

11-30-2012, 11:06 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would sincerely imagine it wouldn't be an issue, considering the flash cap isn't really a sealed piece of plastic.
11-30-2012, 11:06 AM   #3
Veteran Member

The hotshoe contacts are a dry contact so it shouldn't pose a problem, however I still would not use the K-5 without the hotshoe cover on it just to make sure. Take a piece of duct tape and tape over the hotshoe before you take it out in the rain.
11-30-2012, 11:07 AM - 1 Like   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Dumb question, but my 300 F4 is showing up in the next hour or so, and it is raining. The flash slot cap disappeared sometime in the last year+ that I owned this K5, and am wondering if lacking it would cause a problem.
On the Pentax JP site, it is one of the FAQ question. To make it short, you will need the hot shoe cap for the weather protection.

11-30-2012, 11:09 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crassus Quote
On the Pentax JP site, it is one of the FAQ question. To make it short, you will need the hot shoe cap for the weather protection.
Ah good to know, I was wrong.
11-30-2012, 11:48 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks crassus.
11-30-2012, 12:45 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
That is a surprise to me that you would need it for WR. I've lost mine. Where does one get replacement? I probably need half a dozen! How do you NOT lose them?

11-30-2012, 12:47 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by seadog Quote
That is a surprise to me that you would need it for WR. I've lost mine. Where does one get replacement? I probably need half a dozen! How do you NOT lose them?
Heh. I remember taking it off when I got the body and putting it somewhere. I emptied out my drawer of camera junk and found it and the viewfinder cap. I wonder how many of them are floating around somewhere.
11-30-2012, 01:20 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I've lost both the hotshoe cap and the battery grip cap, but haven't really seen any adverse effects. Maybe I'm playing with fire, or more like water?
11-30-2012, 01:29 PM   #10
D0n
Banned

used to be Pentax neck straps had snapped enclosures for the hotshoe cap and viewfinder cap...
11-30-2012, 01:34 PM   #11

It does not have to a Pentax hot shoe cover. One can buy them on Ebay very cheaply. Whether it is Canon or Nikon, the hot shoe cover still works.
11-30-2012, 03:44 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by crassus Quote
Didn't know that. All this time using the K7 and K5 in rain and sleet without the hot shoe cover. Good thing they still function fine.
11-30-2012, 04:30 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
I've lost both the hotshoe cap and the battery grip cap, but haven't really seen any adverse effects. Maybe I'm playing with fire, or more like water?
I haven't had an issue without the flash cap. I don't think the battery grip contacts would be an issue either...they look exactly the same as the contacts on my handheld GPS...which are not covered at all, and it has a higher/standardized weather sealing rating (one of the IPX standards or whatever it is).
11-30-2012, 04:34 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I find this quite amazing, because the hotshoe cover is just a plastic slide-in thing with no gaskets in the area.

If one of you is daring, you could try this in heavy rain, then remove the hotshoe cover when you get back indoors, and let us know if you see water pooling in the wells where the contacts are.
11-30-2012, 09:10 PM   #15

It is not just the hot shoe cover that has to be on for the weather sealing. I am copying and pasting this directly from the Pentax JP site. My translation are also given.

Q 防塵・防滴構造ですか? Is the contruction sealed from dust and moisture?
A 各ダイヤルやボタン部、ボディの接合部、開閉部などに防滴・防塵処理を施しています。
※防塵、防滴性能を発揮するにはホットシューカバーFK、シンクロソケット2Pキャップを付けた状態でご使用下さい。

Each dial button, gaps in the body and on off switch etc. are made with the consideration of being sealed from dust and moisture.
* In order for this fuction (moisture and dust sealing) to work fully, please use it with the hot shoe cover FK, sync socket 2P Cap.