Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2012, 07:47 PM   #1

K5 eyecup for glasses

Anyone ever try putting an eyecup made for another brand of camera on a k5? The reason I ask is because I wear glasses and as far as I know no one makes an eyecup for glasses and the k5. I don't care really if it stays on well or if it wobbles around a bit, I was thinking maybe I would be able to modify one to work also. I know hoodman makes eyecups for glasses for Nikon and canon owners, I just don't know which one to start with. I might even try to conjoin the factory k5 eyecup with the hoodman cup. Any help is appreciated and by the way contact lenses are not an option

12-05-2012, 08:23 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have the KPS eye-cup and you literally have to remove the rubber flap to put your glasses right against the eyepiece to see most of the view, otherwise it still cuts of a tiny bit. But if you have the rubber flap on the KPS eyepiece, it cuts the view by almost half. Just stick with the good old regular eyepiece that came with the K-5, you'll like it better, although smaller view.
12-05-2012, 11:43 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wear glasses and I use the Pentax Magnifying Eyecup 0-ME53 and find it to be great with no loss of viewer size.
10-05-2013, 11:16 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mtnberner Quote
Anyone ever try putting an eyecup made for another brand of camera on a k5? The reason I ask is because I wear glasses and as far as I know no one makes an eyecup for glasses and the k5. I don't care really if it stays on well or if it wobbles around a bit, I was thinking maybe I would be able to modify one to work also. I know hoodman makes eyecups for glasses for Nikon and canon owners, I just don't know which one to start with. I might even try to conjoin the factory k5 eyecup with the hoodman cup. Any help is appreciated and by the way contact lenses are not an option
Did you ever find a good solution? Glasses drive me crazy and I have tried numerous solutions.

10-08-2013, 12:39 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
Did you ever find a good solution? Glasses drive me crazy and I have tried numerous solutions.

Hi Bob,
I wear glasses and they drive me crazy too.
I have tried an eyecup, but found it impossible to see the whole image and exposure details in the viewfinder.
I have tried dioptre adjustment to the max (just right for my right eye) and slipped my glasses up onto the top of my head, good vision through viewfinder but risky for glasses particularly when looking up.
I'm back to dioptre = 0, glasses on and pressed hard against the standard rubber eyecup, (this leaves sweat and oil from my nose on the LCD and generally my glasses need a polish after as well).
Do I have a "good" solution? No. But I don't know what else to try.

Rod
10-08-2013, 02:26 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Hi Bob,
I wear glasses and they drive me crazy too.
I have tried an eyecup, but found it impossible to see the whole image and exposure details in the viewfinder.
I have tried dioptre adjustment to the max (just right for my right eye) and slipped my glasses up onto the top of my head, good vision through viewfinder but risky for glasses particularly when looking up.
I'm back to dioptre = 0, glasses on and pressed hard against the standard rubber eyecup, (this leaves sweat and oil from my nose on the LCD and generally my glasses need a polish after as well).
Do I have a "good" solution? No. But I don't know what else to try.

Rod
Thanks Rod
I have arrived at the same place. I am using my year old glasses for shooting so I do not have to be concerned about scratches, drops, etc. I am hoping the K-3 eyecup is even better than the K-5
11-19-2013, 05:13 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
I am hoping the K-3 eyecup is even better than the K-5
Nope! It isn't

11-20-2013, 05:48 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
I wear glasses and I use the Pentax Magnifying Eyecup 0-ME53 and find it to be great with no loss of viewer size.
Same here and very happy with it on both my previous K-5 and now K-5IIs. Being I am a left eye shooter I still get lots of nose prints on the LCD screen, but nothing a quick wipe with a micro fiber cloth won't take care of.
11-20-2013, 07:38 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

+1... Me, too... no problems...

Cheers... M
11-20-2013, 08:35 AM   #10
Veteran Member

+1 for Pentax 0-ME53

I can not see near left and right border same time when using classes but easy solution is just move head little. I keep it on all time except when doing landscapes.
11-20-2013, 11:10 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I find regular eye cup and glasses work best for me so I use the glasses just prior to my current prescription, almost no difference, keep them attached to my head with a pair of original croakies and also keep a micro fiber cloth handy to wipe the glasses. I don't care if these glasses get scratched a little, they will be replaced with my current pair when I get my next prescription. This way I can see the action - for example spotting an eagle - find it in the viewfinder, check out all the settings and shoot - just as if if I did not wear glasses. ust use the cloth to occasionally wipe of the moisture and clean the glasses. The key for me was using hte original croakies that keep the glasses mounted tight on my head. They are cheap Amazon.com: Croakies Solid Mix: Sports & Outdoors and unlike other glasses holders the glasses do not move around or fall down.
11-20-2013, 12:13 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Hi Rod.

I have a small bag on the belt of my camera bag, where I can leave my glasses. If sufficient, I think diopter adjustment is clearly the best option.

Cheers - Klaus
11-20-2013, 01:53 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I'm not sure if I understand. Can you see most or all of the frame through the 0-ME53? I figured that since it magnifies the view, it must cut out a significant part of the margins of the view.
11-20-2013, 02:12 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There have been several discussions on eyecups, including the Hoodman models. See, for example: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/115-pentax-k-5/238539-deeper-eyecup-k-5-iis.html#post2526659

- Craig
11-22-2013, 02:40 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Search eBay for 'tenpa eyepiece pentax' or 'KPS universal eyepiece' or just 'eyepiece pentax'. There are even some 1.08x-1.58x zoom eyepieces.