Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2012, 08:30 AM   #1

MAJOR issues with my K5!!

Okay now I bought my K5 used from someone, but it was NOT abused, dropped or anything, couldnt even really tell it was used. i believe it had 12k shots on it when I bought it. I had no real issues with it at first but Ive been using it pretty heavily now and now the problems are starting....

Ive read others have had this issue but the battery life on it is TERRIBLE. I have 2 off brand batteries (I realize thats part of the issue) and 1 offical. not only that but it FREEZES when it dies and its only about 1/4 away from being "dead" it seems the offical battery is a LITTLE better at indicating when its dying and it doesnt freeze up.

The next problem is what worries me. I was trying to change my mem card and it was STUCK... I was staying calm and it FINALLY comes out and one of the little plastic strips where the cards read was BROKEN. it was DANGLING. I took it off and was jsut so upset... BUT the card is about 2 years old so I was like okay.... no idea how this would wear out like that but OKAY, first time for everything. Today I was trying to use my BEST card (SD extreme 8gb) on my K20 and it wasnt reading... I last used it in my K5 so I take it out to see if maybe the card is dirty. THERE IS A SMALL CORNER MISSING FROM IT. How does this happen??? the K5 read it perfectly. This had to have happened cuz of the K5!!! ALSO, the write speed is SO SLOW. Im thinking I may have to upgrade cards at this point lol but I think my highest class card is an 8, I suppose the K5 with the 2 extra mega pixels is just writing slower... and YES I did the firmware update!

Has anyone else had this problem or is this just a freak conicidense??

12-07-2012, 08:38 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Ok, first off ditch the crap off brand batteries if they are not holding a charge. Fully charge your original K-5 battery

Ditch the off brand crap memory cards, stick with the sandisk. All SD cards have a corner "missing"

How fast is that card? You should have class 6-10 but more importantly a card that can do 30 mb per sec, like the higher end Sandisks, they work great on my K-5

The issues as far as I can tell are due to using poor quality accessories and have nothing to do with the K-5.

So replace those bits and go have some fun

Last edited by Deimos; 12-07-2012 at 08:49 AM.
12-07-2012, 09:05 AM   #3

Original Poster
I usually stick to just using the pentax battery but it dies within 4 hours so I need to use the off brands sometimes

I use Sandisk and Lexar cards, I wouldn't shoot with a crappy card and they are ALL class 6 or above. and no there was an actual PIECE missing off the corner of the card.

Maybe I just have really bad luck, weird things have been happening to me lately!
12-07-2012, 09:10 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Hmm, well maybe just try to replace a battery and card with new ones. If your K-5 keeps eating them though I guess it'll need service. I get quite awhile from my k-5 battery like 800+ shots, also depends on how much LiveView you use.

12-07-2012, 09:32 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
a sigma lens with os will also eat the battery
12-07-2012, 10:08 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I use a Pentax and Lenmar (Adorama) battery without issue. I've used about 4 brands of cards without issue.

I have had the occasional freeze which is unrelated to the battery used, and it was not low.
12-07-2012, 12:36 PM   #7
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

New batteries and SD cards and your K-5 (and you) will indeed be happy again. All the best with that.

12-07-2012, 02:00 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Does sound like battery and SD card issues to me.

Agree that off brand cards / batteries can be fine. I have both and the off brand products are every bit as good (in fact my AData class 10 SD card is a bit quicker in use than Sandisk card).

However, there are differences in quality for different off brand SD cards and batteries. If you are going to use off brand then you need to be prepared to:
1. Research the brand / product before you buy
2. Be prepared to replace it, if it does not work out (so far I have not had any problems but the price difference was so great I would not mind if I had to replace). I usually try one and if that works out buy another.
So if thats not you then buy Pentax exclusively (which is a pretty safe bet if you are Ok with price).
12-07-2012, 02:10 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Stupid question, but are you removing the memory cards by pushing them in and letting them pop out, or are you just grabbing them and pulling them out?
12-07-2012, 02:14 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Deimos Quote
Ok, first off ditch the crap off brand batteries if they are not holding a charge. Fully charge your original K-5 battery

Ditch the off brand crap memory cards, stick with the sandisk. All SD cards have a corner "missing"

How fast is that card? You should have class 6-10 but more importantly a card that can do 30 mb per sec, like the higher end Sandisks, they work great on my K-5

The issues as far as I can tell are due to using poor quality accessories and have nothing to do with the K-5.

So replace those bits and go have some fun
Agree 100%. It's not the K5.
12-07-2012, 06:56 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On a related question about SD cards, what is the suitability of the latest and fastest cards on the K5? Will all new cards work, and is the latest version of software important?
12-07-2012, 07:26 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
On a related question about SD cards, what is the suitability of the latest and fastest cards on the K5? Will all new cards work, and is the latest version of software important?
Arnold. The K5 can use all the latest SD cards but there is no speed benefit of UHS-1. It is no faster than a class10. I have a Sandisk 16GB with UHS-1 and it works great in my PC and K5/Kr! You will probably save big by sticking with a good quality class10 over a UHS rated card.
I think its posted on the forum that the transfer rate of a K5 is around 20mbs
12-07-2012, 07:37 PM   #13
Site Supporter

I know mine will take a Sandisk Ultra 64gb UHS1 30MB/s one with no problem.
12-07-2012, 08:23 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you PentaxJax and VoiceOfReason, for the good information.
12-07-2012, 08:47 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Senseriffic Quote
I usually stick to just using the pentax battery but it dies within 4 hours so I need to use the off brands sometimes

I use Sandisk and Lexar cards, I wouldn't shoot with a crappy card and they are ALL class 6 or above. and no there was an actual PIECE missing off the corner of the card.

Maybe I just have really bad luck, weird things have been happening to me lately!
Just how much do you shoot at one go for the battery to die in 4 hours? There are some 3rd party batteries that last as long the the originals and I have used 3rd party batteries without issues.

Show us pics of the card with the missing piece so we can understand better in order to provide further advice.