Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2012, 09:18 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
View finder vs Live View on K5 II

The K5 is my first camera with live view, so I am use to using the view finder. I shoot mainly landscape or cityscape with a tripod. Other than maybe battery usage, is there any advantage using either the view finder vs live view. Since the actual view seems about the same, is it easier or more accurate focus using live view? From the few tests I have done it appears focus accuracy is about the same. For ease of use, I like the view finder when hand holding the camera, and use the live view when on tripod or when it's too awkward to position my eye to look through the view finder. Which gives the best focus accuracy?

12-07-2012, 09:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

If manual focusing you can use the LV to get focus more accurate, this is especially important with fast lenses (f2 is about the limit) as you cannot see accurate DOF through the stock focusing screen.

Overall I don't think too much difference will be noticed in the AF accuracy but Lv (CDAF) is from what I understand slighty more accurate but slower than through the viewfinder (PDAF). But to be honest I just use the viewfinder 90% and manually focus with Lv the rest.
12-07-2012, 09:48 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Live view AF isn't susceptible to front focus/back focus, so if you want to ensure that you get the best focus possible, try using it.

I usually stick to the viewfinder unless I'm shooting in a crowd, etc., and can't get to it

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-07-2012, 10:35 PM   #4
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Live view AF isn't susceptible to front focus/back focus, so if you want to ensure that you get the best focus possible, try using it.
Really? Isn't live view done with the lens wide open? If so then any lens that has a focus shift when stopping down (e.g. spherical abberation) will have some change of focus point when you take the photo.

12-08-2012, 01:48 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
So? PDAF is also done wide open, therefore it's a moot point.
12-08-2012, 03:47 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I had to Google this, but found it: Other wise I didn't know what PDAF was.

CDAF (Contrast Detect Autofocus) is used when there is no SLR mirror present, which would include LiveView on any camera (using the back LCD),
PDAF (Phase Detect Autofocus) is used on an SLR with a mirror, shooting through the viewfinder. Phase Detect requires a separate sensor under the mirror, while CDAF reads off of the actual imaging sensor.
Autofocus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia