Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2012, 08:30 AM   #1

K5 mirror/shutter behavior

I have a question about the K5's mirror and shutter operation in live view. (I'm an ex-Canon shooter considering my next camera - D7000 or K5.)
Anyone who's used one (or researched) knows the D7000's live view leaves something to be desired. When the sutter's pressed in live view, the mirrror drops (to cock the shutter?), then raises again, then the shutter opens/closes, then the mirror drops again, then raises again to resume live view. What??!! Rube Goldberg obviously headed that design team. Canons, on the other hand, start the exposure in live view with electronic first curtain (mirror remaining up) so there's no movement in the camera body until the shutter closes. On low-end models the mirror then drops to recock the shutter and raises to resume live view. On xxD models and up the mirror remains up - in fact if AE bracketing is set, one shutter press will take all three exposures with the mirror remaining up the entire time. This is great for exposure stacking when you need to work quickly - but of course with Canon sensors you have to do a lot of exposure stacking .
So my question (sorry for the long prelude) is: What's the k5's mirror and shutter behavior in those situations?
Thanks!

12-19-2012, 10:17 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pretty much the same as the Nikon, as far as I know. It's done that way so the sensor can be devoid of light to "Purge" and artifacts left from being enabled in LV. At least that's in theory, doesn't really seem to be an issue in real life.
12-19-2012, 12:12 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Eulogy Quote
Pretty much the same as the Nikon, as far as I know. It's done that way so the sensor can be devoid of light to "Purge" and artifacts left from being enabled in LV. At least that's in theory, doesn't really seem to be an issue in real life.
But of course, Canon's electronic first curtain accomplishes this with no mechanics. And the coupling of the mirror and shutter seems unnecessary. Unfortunate, because it pretty much renders live view useless for anything with slower shutter speeds.
12-19-2012, 12:26 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What Eulogy said. Unfortunately there are no Pentax models that have EFSC.

12-19-2012, 12:57 PM   #5
Pentaxian

When shooting in live view the shutter will first close, then open for the exposure, close, show the instant preview (if enabled) then open again to show live view. The mirror stays up the whole cycle, (so it can also be used as a sort of mirror up mode) during bracketing the mirror also, naturally, stays up.
12-24-2012, 08:02 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
When shooting in live view the shutter will first close, then open for the exposure, close, show the instant preview (if enabled) then open again to show live view. The mirror stays up the whole cycle, (so it can also be used as a sort of mirror up mode) during bracketing the mirror also, naturally, stays up.
Thanks much - that's what I wanted to know. So another point in the K5's column.........