Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
12-22-2012, 11:49 AM   #1

Ins Replacement - K-5 II or go with D600 kit?

Hello,

I have a unique choice to make and could use some second opinions...

I lost a camera bag with a K-5 and some filters/lenses and am going through insurance for replacement. I had planned on getting the K-5 II and the DA*55mm 1.4 that the claims guy wrote up as an equal replacement, but the replacement company said I could apply the cost to any camera they carry and the D600 kit would effectivley be the same price for a D600 and Nikon 24-85mm lens... He is recommending the D600 as a better overall deal right now and it would be an even swap.

I have been a Pentax guy for a while and prior to that used Canon. I have a couple of decent Pentax lenses, but no major investment at this point, so jumping to Nikon is not a big deal, except that I have never owned a Nikon. I like the Pentax K-5, but have had some occasional trouble with auto-focus being mildly hit or miss and flash shots being average at best.

The idea of a Full Frame upgrade intrigues me for essentially no out of pocket cost to me. Plus I could sell my other two Pentax lenses and pick up some Nikon 1.8 primes to compliment the D600 for a reasonable price. I know this is a Pentax forum and would be biased to the brand and admit I am biased to Pentax somewhat myself with no experience with Nikon... Any advice??? Is this really to good of a chance to pass up in making the jump to Full Frame for free?? Thoughts on a D600 versus a K-5II? I love the K-5 build quality and have not held a D600 but know it is a little bigger and maybe less well constructed, but have heard good things on Nikon lenses versus Pentax with SDM...

Let me know any input anyone has so I can try and get off this fence before the Nikon deal runs out.

I appreciate any input provided! Regards!

12-22-2012, 12:37 PM   #2
HSV
Veteran Member

As much as I love Pentax, I'd tell you to get the d600...because it's worth more than the K-5II, you get FF, and a better sensor. You won't have to pay anything, you don't have several thousands invested in the Pentax hardware, you might as well get the best images possible.

Even though the K-5 sensor is the best APS-C ever, (in reports) it does not rival the d600 sensor. Also, if you use any TTL, the Nikon system is a lot easier to setup and the performance is a lot more predictable than Pentax.
12-22-2012, 12:40 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

You can be a loyal and faithful camera owner devoted to your brand never wavering in moments of weakness when other cameras wink at you with those big, pro zooms. Or you can be a camera slut sleeping with any camera brand that offers you up a shutter button.

You may not be respected - looked down upon even - by the monogamous crowd with all their sanctimoniousness talk but deep down wishing they too could see those larger sensors and feel that fast focus. It's a choice you will have to make for yourself. Try one out even in a sleazy, no-tell-motel.

But being a camera slut myself sleeping with many different cameras at the same time, I can say that a camera is just a tool to be used. Black ones, silver ones, some with sexy sensors and even some with old, wrinkly film rolls it doesn't matter to me. I just go with what I feel and that is all the advise I can offer.
12-22-2012, 12:44 PM   #4
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by atl32 Quote
Hello,

I have a unique choice to make and could use some second opinions...

I lost a camera bag with a K-5 and some filters/lenses and am going through insurance for replacement. I had planned on getting the K-5 II and the DA*55mm 1.4 that the claims guy wrote up as an equal replacement, but the replacement company said I could apply the cost to any camera they carry and the D600 kit would effectivley be the same price for a D600 and Nikon 24-85mm lens... He is recommending the D600 as a better overall deal right now and it would be an even swap.

I have been a Pentax guy for a while and prior to that used Canon. I have a couple of decent Pentax lenses, but no major investment at this point, so jumping to Nikon is not a big deal, except that I have never owned a Nikon. I like the Pentax K-5, but have had some occasional trouble with auto-focus being mildly hit or miss and flash shots being average at best.

The idea of a Full Frame upgrade intrigues me for essentially no out of pocket cost to me. Plus I could sell my other two Pentax lenses and pick up some Nikon 1.8 primes to compliment the D600 for a reasonable price. I know this is a Pentax forum and would be biased to the brand and admit I am biased to Pentax somewhat myself with no experience with Nikon... Any advice??? Is this really to good of a chance to pass up in making the jump to Full Frame for free?? Thoughts on a D600 versus a K-5II? I love the K-5 build quality and have not held a D600 but know it is a little bigger and maybe less well constructed, but have heard good things on Nikon lenses versus Pentax with SDM...

Let me know any input anyone has so I can try and get off this fence before the Nikon deal runs out.

I appreciate any input provided! Regards!
I have the K5, had K10, K20 and have quite a few pentax lenses. For that reason I will likely stay with Pentax. I don't think the K5II or K5IIs are enough of a jump from the old K 5.

Even though I like my Pentax equipment-also have K-01 and Q- in your situation I would jump at the chance to go to Nikon FF. The AF and other factors: video, etc. are beyond what Pentax has. Basically Pentax is usually playing catch-up with the bigger companies, with an occasional great feature. It's not a criticism of them it's just fact.

If you are thinking about going pro in the future, your'e better off with Nikon, if this is just a hobby then stay with what you know.

Also you should try to find a place with the D600, read up on it's features and controls beforehand, bring your own sd card and play with it to see how it feels. One of the good things about N and C are their availability in many areas. What I do like about K5 are it's ergonomics and size--(like I said occasional great feature).
Everybody else on the Forum: please don't hate me. He wants opinions.

12-22-2012, 01:09 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Go with the K-5 II, it's got better build than the D600, plus it's a Pentax. Come on man, a Pentax!
12-22-2012, 01:23 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Isn't the key thing the fact that you'd be replacing the DA* 55 with the 24-85? Great as a full frame sensor is, I wouldn't be too happy with that switch myself.

I think tuco has it right, if you don't need the camera for pro work, go with what feels best, not what has the best IQ or whatever.
12-22-2012, 01:43 PM   #7
Veteran Member

A stated above the d600 has a better sensor, but I hardly think it brand sobishness to select the better camera which is undoughtedly the k5 derivities

In the end you have to make the choice yourself, can you live with a performance hobbled camera built to a price point below really what the current tech will support.?

If you could stretch to a d800 I's say go for it but k5ii/s Vs d600 close but I'd stick with the Pentax.

12-22-2012, 01:55 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

While I'd normally recommend going FF if the price is the same, you have to keep in mind that Nikon primes aren't stabilized, which can be annoying at times. You'll get better IQ with the D600 for sure, but if you like shooting with primes more than zooms, then you might miss the in-camera SR from time to time

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-22-2012, 01:58 PM   #9
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

To me, there isn't enough of an advantage the D600 has over the K-5 II to vouch for the D600 over the K-5. Its sensor may be good but its resolution provides less density than that of the K-5. Plus as mentioned, the K-5 is a sturdy design with a better UI (and in the end a better photography experience). I agree that the FF advantage only occurs with the D800 at this stage, and value for money as well as good reliable performance would be on the side of K-5. With what you'd save by getting the K-5 II, you should consider the awesome DA/FA Limited primes and a grip, as opposed to going down the DA* line and worrying about SDM.
12-22-2012, 02:04 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Actually, I'm advocating the D600 as a camera slut having had my way with many different cameras. Fast, good in low light focus that nails the shot almost all the time with a build quality that is insignificant when it comes to the end results (your picture). The D600 brings new life to the the D series primes (automatically correcting most CA) that can be had really cheap on the used market. But you brand thumpers can beat me with your holly camera manual if you want. I can take it.
12-22-2012, 02:40 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tough choice. I am heavily invested in Pentax glass so no question I would go with the k-5II but without that investment it would be a difficult decision.

No question on the IQ with the FF sensor and all the other FF advantages especially using the lens at what they were designed for. You also get access to the Nikon flash system which is far and away better than the Pentax offering. I am not as sure the Nikon AF is so much better like others think but then I never use AFC only AFS. If you shoot moving stuff then maybe it is better, I don't know.

On the other hand I've handled a D600 and I think the k-5 is better made, feels better in my hand and has better ergonomics.

And you have to ask yourself, "will the difference in IQ be apparent in the images I take"?

APS-C has advantages too, I shoot a lot of stock and depth of focus is very important, big DOF not small. I struggle constantly to get everything in the image in focus because that is what the client demands. But if you are into narrow DOF then a FF has the advantage.

I don't think you will be unhappy with either camera but I do think you should try a D600 in your hands before you make a decision.
12-22-2012, 02:50 PM   #12
Veteran Member

check out all the negative press re the D600. Shutter problems splashing debris and oil on the sensor and it is very wide spread
12-22-2012, 03:00 PM   #13
Banned

At least get a good sensor cleaning kit with that D600.

Well I'm not very impressed with the zoomlens you can get, so that would annoy me a lot in the future.
12-23-2012, 03:31 PM   #14

Ask that question in a brand-specific forum & what did you expect to get in response? Let me just pipe in with a few things. The build quality and sealing of the K-5/II series is much more robust than the D600. I would trust the K-5 II in wet conditions, whereas I would not even subject my D600 to the same conditions. I own zilch in terms of Pentax gear, but everything I've read from owners since the release of the K-5 has swayed me into believing it, along with the K-5 II, is as robust as the Oly E-3 or E-5, the former of which I used since it was first released. I'm kind of in the opposite position as yourself because I own a D600 and am looking at getting the K-5 II for the weathersealing. I can tell you right now that the kit lens, 24-85VR, is a fantastic little lens. There are a number of online comparisons between it and the 24-70 2.8 from Nikon (non-IS), along with the Tamron 24-70VC 2.8. It competes quite well with both. It won't trounce the Nikon 24-70 2.8, but it does have VC. A little softer in the corners at some focal lengths, but also similar for the most part in the center.

I personally like big, chunky camera bodies. I was highly impressed when I got the D600 because it is both smaller and lighter than my old Oly E-3, which was unexpected & nice. From what I've heard, the K-5/II/IIs grip is great. If you want a better visual as to the size difference between the two, have a look here: Compare camera dimensions side by side

Yes, there have been a number of people posting all over about the oil spots/dust on the D600 sensors. Mine was dirty as well, and I would guess I spent about 3 hours of time & about $100 worth of various products (electric blower, sensor pen, swabs, etc.) for it. Mine is now clean. Not sure how long it will remain so since one of the theories floating around is that the oil spots are the result of oil splattering off the shutter mechanism. Some have claimed it will go away in a couple thousand shutter releases, but who knows. I know I can clean it myself, so it isn't a huge dramatic deal.

Even though I own nothing Pentax, I can say that I have a few thousand RAW files that I have downloaded from various sites from the K-5, K-5 II and IIs. The D600 IQ is just superb in comparison, and extremely malleable. I'm positive others here will disagree. To answer your question, if I absolutely needed weathersealing, I'd go for Pentax. If weathersealing were not important, then the D600 by far. One of the guys on DPR was arguing with me that the D600, which has the same sealing as the D800, is just as weathersealed as the K-5 II. I do not believe him whatsoever, and the argument fizzled out because I was not about to subject my D600 to the same conditions as I have my Oly E-3. That would be an expensive test, especially if I am right.

Lenses are also a consideration, or the ONLY consideration depending on what kind of shooter you are & how many lenses you will need. I'm a zoom kind of guy myself. If I am on the side of a ledge out backpacking in the desert, I'd like to be able to zoom in or out as needed. A prime just would not be beneficial to my needs, although I did pick up the cheap 50mm Nikkor for fun. There are a lot of zoom lenses to choose from, and some of them can be quite expensive if you absolutely need the widest aperture possible. But, there are also quite a few 3rd party lenses that do 95% of the same for much less. As for myself & Pentax, I will only be buying the 18-135WR as the sole lens for the K-5 II or IIs. I simply do not trust any of the SDM lenses, and my whole point of buying into Pentax would be for the weather sealing.

Best of luck in your decision.

Last edited by NVSteve; 12-23-2012 at 05:51 PM.
12-23-2012, 03:38 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Go for the full frame.And pick up one of the awsome 1.8 primes to get you going I made the jump from a K-5 at the start of the year and have zero regrets, in fact I wish I had jumped sooner. I'd never go back to crop sensors again.
Plus Nikons Autofocus, lens selection and flash system blows Pentax out of the water.

Last edited by TOUGEFC; 12-23-2012 at 03:44 PM.