Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2012, 05:01 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Shutter release failure

I was very upset when my 11 1/2 month old K-5 suffered a failure that meant it did not register a half-press of the shutter release button. I have become very accumstomed to setting my focus and also if I want to my exposure, prior to composing my overall shot. It was effectively unuseable.

I googled and learned it had happened to some others, and tried the simple recommended fix (turn it upside down and press a lot of times, in case dirt falls out and it works again) but no joy. So I reluctantly took it to Jessop's (UK chain where I bought it), 367 days after I bought it. Pentax UK manafacturers' warranty I was suprised to learn is only 1 year

Anyway Jessop's agreed to send it off for me and request it as a repair under warranty as I was only just out. I was told I should expect a call in 2 to 4 weeks with a price quoted if the repair would be chargeable, or potentially the camera would just come back fixed if they agreed it was covered, but the whole process would be expected to be 4 to 8 weeks.

I started to look at buying a K-30 for my K-mount lenses since I did not want to miss either Christmas or my honeymoon at the end of January

3 days later I received an e-mail saying it was back, ready to collect!!!

I did not even believe it could have been fixed, call me skeptical but I imagined a shop assistant finding it took pictures and thinking it wasn't even broken or something - that was actually very unfair of me since all the Jessop's staff have actually been extremely knowledgeable about photography and cameras I guess I am just jaded. And wrong, because it was wrapped with a note from Pentax UK saying the shutter release mechanism had been replaced and the firmware upgraded (I didn't know I didn't have the latest already). Literally, I dopped it off on December 17th and was told it was ready on 20th

So big-up for Jessops and Pentax UK - wow! Even though, it would have been better if it was more reliable in the first place, of course...

12-27-2012, 01:24 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for sharing the success story- happy to hear the repair went smoothly, and was so unusually quick!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: