Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2012, 12:21 PM   #1

Long journey to a K-5

Back in the 1960's -70's used Pentax Spotmatics,did a lot of photography including my own dark room and 2 1/4 cameras.Went threw periods of Pentax k-1000 and Canon f series but always had a Spotmatic even today but don't use it now.Life changes until there was no longer time for photography.In 2002 got my first digital amd left film behind.Couple years ago became very unsatisfied with low light images and the K-X looked liked the best choice for a low investment as I already had good fast lens,turned out to be a good choice and got me back into serious photography.About a month ago sold my K-X and got a K-5 from Adorama during a good sale and am very pleased with it.Can't tell if image quality is any better than the K-X but more time and images my prove that they are.Autofocus and controls are a big improvement with more outside buttons which lets me switch and change functions easier and much faster without going to the menu.At first was disappointed with the high iso results from the K-5 as I could good or acceptable images from the K-X at iso 3200 but the first few from the K-5 at iso 1600 were unusable but with more shooting and properly exposed images am satisfied with the high iso quality from the K-5.Introduction of the K-30 got me interested in upgrading and intended to get one but more careful study and the K-5 being deeply discounted convinced me the K-5 was the better choice.Anyone wanting to upgrade from a K-10-K-X-KR to a K-5 or K-5II will be happy with the move.

12-28-2012, 12:31 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulations on your new K-5. I'm glad you are happy with it. I too upgraded from a K-x to a K-5 and found the initial weeks...challenging
12-28-2012, 01:37 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats on the K-5 ... I like mine a lot over the K-r & the K110D - J
12-28-2012, 02:24 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Congrats on the K-5, I too started in DSLR photography with a K-X, I just love that little camera, I still have it and use it all the time, I refuse to get rid of it

12-28-2012, 02:26 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I used the K-x again after leaving my k5 at my mom's house by accident. Pictures turned out awesome, so no real loss at using the K-x for that trip. But weather sealing, quiet shutter, more controls, pentaprism, improved AF, and built in level make the k5 more cherished. Recently sold the k-x to fund k5iis - the white stormtrooper will be missed...