Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2013, 12:20 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My first extended shooting day with my K5 was last winter when I spent 3 days at the winter Dew Tour. Yes, it was very cold but I had no mechanical issues or battery issues from either my K5 or K10D. I use the snug fitting Mechanix gloves available in auto stores and hardware stores everywhere. I also have a tight fitting pair of fleece gloves that work well. They are useful as liners under a large pair in extreme cold also. When I took breaks, I put on large mittens with those chemical hand warmers inside. They last several hours and a pair in your boots is wise also, especially if you're standing on ice for long periods and not moving around. I left my cameras outside in my car rather than bringing them inside. The warmest it got was 8F by mid afternoon and mornings were below zero and the wind was howling. I really don't think coating the whole camera would help much. The other guys weren't smiling much. Since my daughter was skiing and finished in the money, I was smiling.

01-05-2013, 12:55 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It may just be me, but I find myself getting frustrated with even quite thin gloves (and the thinner they are, the less effective). I've only had discomfort from the K7 being too cold a couple of times, but if Pentax brought out a self-heating grip, I just might try it.
01-06-2013, 07:12 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thicker gloves force you to take them off to work the controls. I prefer to use my K10D in the cold as I can operate most of the button and controls with my ski gloves on. I can't with the K5. Extreme cold is an occasion when carrying 2 cameras can be a benefit. When I'm at ski races and half pipes, one has a long lens and the other a wide. Once they're set, I probably won't have to change anything very often. If I'm just out xc skiing or snow shoeing, I'll just bring the K10D. I carry it mounted on a Cotton Carrier vest which has been a big benefit to me when lugging around cameras. Now if I could only find a ski pole that can function as a monopod..........