Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-05-2013, 04:30 PM   #1
Veteran Member

K5 Silver v. Black - Worth How Much $

K-5 owners - Would you like a silver body more than a black body? How much would you (or did you) pay for silver, if you could just change it instantly for a fee? I am presuming that silver will be the "preferred" version - please correct me if that is not the case. Thanks. Glenn

01-05-2013, 05:30 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Silver, No. Camo, maybe.
01-05-2013, 05:47 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Silver is so very pre-millenium-ish
01-05-2013, 05:57 PM   #4

Both my K-x and K5 are BLACK. Just the way I like it. I would pay LESS for a fancy colored camera.

01-05-2013, 06:15 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by GlennG Quote
K-5 owners - Would you like a silver body more than a black body? How much would you (or did you) pay for silver, if you could just change it instantly for a fee? I am presuming that silver will be the "preferred" version - please correct me if that is not the case. Thanks. Glenn
There are only a couple hundred silver bodies in the US. I had a silver K-7 and it looked worse than the black one IMO.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-05-2013, 07:55 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Black for me. I think the colors "cheapen" them somehow.
01-06-2013, 03:22 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I liked my silver K5 to match those silver lenses:

But I sold most of those shiny silver ones, most of my lenses are black ones now, I don't mind having a black K5IIs

01-06-2013, 04:58 AM - 1 Like   #8
Banned

I have a K-5 Silver Limited Edition and had some luck on the purchase (due to the sensor stains that made it possible to trade ablack one in for the silver one). Yes I'm happy with it and payd 200 euro extra for it at that point, but it was on the high price at the time.

01-06-2013, 07:55 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I have a K-5 Silver Limited Edition and had some luck on the purchase (due to the sensor stains that made it possible to trade ablack one in for the silver one). Yes I'm happy with it and payd 200 euro extra for it at that point, but it was on the high price at the time.
..those eyes..
01-06-2013, 10:41 AM   #10

The silver ones look ok I guess but they are not worth anymore than the black ones.

If they were the same price today, I would still choose black personally.
01-06-2013, 05:44 PM   #11

I remember when I bought my first Nikon 35mm SLR, an FE. It was silver (as was the majority of cameras back in the day...). About a year later, the FE was also available in black (wow... just like the F3, how professional!), but at a higher price.

Kinda reminds me of Dr. Seuss' Star Bellied Sneetches...

-Matt
01-07-2013, 03:44 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rottie*Lover Quote
I remember when I bought my first Nikon 35mm SLR, an FE. It was silver (as was the majority of cameras back in the day...). About a year later, the FE was also available in black (wow... just like the F3, how professional!), but at a higher price.

Kinda reminds me of Dr. Seuss' Star Bellied Sneetches...

-Matt
Same w/ FA Limited lenses. They first came out in silver, Pentax started to make them in black some years later, and they were sold at higher prices, hard to find too, prices were higher for black ones on second hand market. And now Pentax sell both the silver and black ones at the same prices, but somehow the silver ones have better second hand market values (due to better surface finishing/paint)
01-07-2013, 07:25 AM   #13
Veteran Member

33 years ago, Black was an expensive option. I remember the Canon A-1 as the first black camera i ever saw.
01-07-2013, 07:52 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies, all. I have been looking at an e-bay deal for a K-5 silver and DA 40 XS combo for starting bid of $800. The description claims it is very lightly used. This appears to be a kit that was offered by Pentax in earlier 2012 with a limited worldwide distribution of only 1500 units. So, allowing a modest $150 for the lens, that would allow $650 for the body, so I was trying to gauge the value of the package, even at the starting point of $800.

Thanks again for the replies.

Classic set of eyebrows there, Ron! Keep up the good work!
01-07-2013, 05:57 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GlennG Quote
Thanks for the replies, all. I have been looking at an e-bay deal for a K-5 silver and DA 40 XS combo for starting bid of $800. The description claims it is very lightly used. This appears to be a kit that was offered by Pentax in earlier 2012 with a limited worldwide distribution of only 1500 units. So, allowing a modest $150 for the lens, that would allow $650 for the body, so I was trying to gauge the value of the package, even at the starting point of $800.

Thanks again for the replies.

Classic set of eyebrows there, Ron! Keep up the good work!
GlennG,

Just so you know, the Silver Edition with the 40mm XS lens was the second offering of a Silver Edition. This version is the exact same as a regular K-5 aside from the color. There was also an earlier version (a year earlier) also limited to 1,500 worldwide that had a redesigned grip and shock-resistant, scratchproof reinforced glass on the rear LCD and top status panels.

I don't expect this to change anything for you but just wanted to put the info out there.