Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2013, 01:38 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
New K5 wrong lens

I just received my new K5 and kit lens from buydig, but unfortunately they sent me the wrong lens. They sent me the DAL 18-55 instead of the DA 18-55. Which of course means I'm also missing the PH-RBA lens hood. I was wondering if its worth the hassle to exchange the plastic mount DAL lens for the metal mount DA lens. And of course I would receive the lens hood as well. I like the lens they sent me and was wondering if there is a significant difference in quality other than the mount between the two?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon PowerShot G7  Photo 
01-06-2013, 01:45 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I thought the K-5 kit came with the WR lens, I don't see the K-5 bundled with the DA or DA-L on BuyDig anywhere.

You should check your invoice, you'll definitely want the WR lens if it was supposed to be part of the kit.

Last edited by elliott; 01-06-2013 at 01:53 PM.
01-06-2013, 01:51 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
I thought the K-5 kit came with the WR lens, I don't see the K-5 bundled with the DA or DA-L on BuyDig anywhere.

You should check your invoice, you'll definitely want the WR lens if it was supposed to be part of the kit.
Nope, it was not supposed to include the WR lens, hence the cheap price of $849 for both camera and DA 18-55mm lens and hood.
01-06-2013, 01:54 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I just looked closer, it comes with the DA-L from there, they just show the picture of the WR and put "Weatherproof" in the listing. That just seems like a bait and switch, but they get away with it because they say "LENS IS NOT WR" in the description.
http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=PKK51855

I would have spent the $50 more and went to Amazon and got the kit with the WR lens.

01-06-2013, 01:58 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are a couple differences. The DA L lens doesn't have quickshift, doesn't allow CiF, doesn't have a hood on it, and has a different filter size. And its not WR, of course. I'm not quite sure which of these features the DA and DA WR versions allow. You should check up in the lens database or some other place to see what exactly you are "missing out on."
The fact that it is all black and has a plastic mount is not very important. You should consider the other things I listed first. I haven't heard of anyone having problems with the plastic mount. And these plastics are quite good. If I were you, I would at least demand they send me a hood. Even if it doesn't fit the lens they sent me, it might fit another lens.
01-06-2013, 02:20 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
There are a couple differences. The DA L lens doesn't have quickshift, doesn't allow CiF, doesn't have a hood on it, and has a different filter size. And its not WR, of course. I'm not quite sure which of these features the DA and DA WR versions allow. You should check up in the lens database or some other place to see what exactly you are "missing out on."
The fact that it is all black and has a plastic mount is not very important. You should consider the other things I listed first. I haven't heard of anyone having problems with the plastic mount. And these plastics are quite good. If I were you, I would at least demand they send me a hood. Even if it doesn't fit the lens they sent me, it might fit another lens.
I don't know what quickshift or Cif is. All I know is it doesn't have that cool green stripe around the lens and I'm missing the hood. I've been using it taking pictures of my model train layout and so far have been quite impressed. It was a big jump from my Canon G7.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
01-06-2013, 03:03 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Quickshift allows you to manually focus while the camera is still in auto-focus mode. More useful than you might think. CIF is Catch in Focus, which allows you set the camera to take an image as you slowly focus. When it gets a focus lock it fires. Neither are deal breakers but both are useful.

That ad is a little misleading as it clearly shows the WR lens in the picture but in the description says it is not the WR. That is not all that strange plenty of ads for the k-5 have shown the wrong lens in the past. But it also looks like what they are selling you is the k-5 body and then the DAL 18-55 lens. Which is strange as I thought the DAL was only available in the kit.

Nothing wrong with what you got and I doubt you would get anywhere complaining but you can certainly try. I would much rather have the WR version if only for the quickshift.

01-06-2013, 03:18 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Quickshift allows you to manually focus while the camera is still in auto-focus mode. More useful than you might think. CIF is Catch in Focus, which allows you set the camera to take an image as you slowly focus. When it gets a focus lock it fires. Neither are deal breakers but both are useful.

That ad is a little misleading as it clearly shows the WR lens in the picture but in the description says it is not the WR. That is not all that strange plenty of ads for the k-5 have shown the wrong lens in the past. But it also looks like what they are selling you is the k-5 body and then the DAL 18-55 lens. Which is strange as I thought the DAL was only available in the kit.

Nothing wrong with what you got and I doubt you would get anywhere complaining but you can certainly try. I would much rather have the WR version if only for the quickshift.
Well, I sent off an email stating what was ordered and what I got along with the invoice number so we'll see what happens. I really like the combo even if it wasn't exactly the lens I thought I was getting. I've got an older SMC A 1:2 50mm lens that shoots great as well. I'm considering buying another prime lens 35mm for layout pictures as well. Not sure if I should go for 17mm instead.
01-06-2013, 03:26 PM   #9
Pentaxian

The ad is very poorly worded in more than one location. I would have checked it out first.

The plastic mount is no big deal. You need a lens hood. I've used the quickshift maybe twice. WR would be nice if you actually need it.
01-06-2013, 04:57 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
The ad is very poorly worded in more than one location. I would have checked it out first.

The plastic mount is no big deal. You need a lens hood. I've used the quickshift maybe twice. WR would be nice if you actually need it.
I don't need the WR. If I was living in London like my brother, then yes, but here in Iowa, not so much. It looks cool though.
01-06-2013, 05:05 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
I just received my new K5 and kit lens from buydig, but unfortunately they sent me the wrong lens. They sent me the DAL 18-55 instead of the DA 18-55. Which of course means I'm also missing the PH-RBA lens hood. I was wondering if its worth the hassle to exchange the plastic mount DAL lens for the metal mount DA lens. And of course I would receive the lens hood as well. I like the lens they sent me and was wondering if there is a significant difference in quality other than the mount between the two?
Did you pay for a WR lens ($150) or the DA L lens ($50)? If it's the former, then I'd definitely get them to send you the right one!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-06-2013, 05:29 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Did you pay for a WR lens ($150) or the DA L lens ($50)? If it's the former, then I'd definitely get them to send you the right one!
I paid for the DA Lens, NOT the DAL for $150, but that was a package deal. Camera AND lens for $849.I probably should have gotten the WR lens for that. Maybe I can return the DAL lens and get a WR lens for a few more bucks......
01-06-2013, 05:32 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Boy this is confusing. So many lenses.....so little time.........

There are five versions of this lens:
SMC Pentax-DA 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 AL (first version)
SMC Pentax-DA 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 AL II (revised version with greater sharpness)
SMC Pentax-DA L 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 AL (lightweight version with plastic mount)
SMC Pentax-DA 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 AL WR (weather-resistant version)
Samsung D-XENON 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 AL (Schneider-KREUZNACH branded version)

The DA II, DA L, DA WR and D-XENON versions all share the same optical construction.
01-06-2013, 05:37 PM   #14
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
Boy this is confusing. So many lenses.....so little time.........

There are five versions of this lens:
SMC Pentax-DA 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 AL (first version)
SMC Pentax-DA 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 AL II (revised version with greater sharpness)
SMC Pentax-DA L 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 AL (lightweight version with plastic mount)
SMC Pentax-DA 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 AL WR (weather-resistant version)
Samsung D-XENON 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 AL (Schneider-KREUZNACH branded version)

The DA II, DA L, DA WR and D-XENON versions all share the same optical construction.
Only the DA L and the WR are currently available, though.

$849 sounds a bit low for a WR kit, but if the ad said you'd be getting the WR lens, then you should try to secure what's yours!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-06-2013, 05:38 PM   #15
Veteran Member

If you paid for the DA and not the DA L, I would get it returned and replaced ASAP.