Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2013, 06:25 AM   #1

How do I set my K5 to shoot RAW

This has been puzzling me for a while, do I just press the RAW button or are there other stages I have to go through? I am considering using my K7 for JPEGS and keepiing my K5 just for RAW.
I will use Lightroom to process the RAW images.
Can I keep in AUTO or do I need to do some manual adjustments to keep in RAW?
Thanks
Dobson

01-12-2013, 06:29 AM   #2
Ari
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The RAW button on your camera is to shoot RAW on the "fly." Go into your menu - page one, under "file format." You can choose jpeg quality, RAW, RAW+ (that will shoot a RAW and jpeg file), RAW PEF (Pentax's RAW format) or RAW DNG (Adobe Digital Negative Format). I shoot RAW DNG - one less step when processing in Photoshop.
You cannot shoot RAW in auto. Use "P" instead.
01-12-2013, 06:31 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
In record mode (Rec. Mode) there are a number of shooting options under the heading File Format. Take a scroll through your menus and check out the choices. Use camera in any of the modes except auto.

2 mins after previous post.
01-12-2013, 07:13 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Press the INFO button on the back. In the left bottom corner it shows which format you are usung (RAW, RAW+, JPG). Use the 4-way button to go the the field and then ue the scroll wheel to select required RAW format. Press INFO again, start shooting in RAW

01-12-2013, 07:41 AM   #5

There's three ways to set it to RAW - the RAW button, the menu and the control panel. The RAW button is the least recommendable, since there is a considerable risk of it being pushed inadvertently and then it takes you into something else instead. Since it's now programmable I recommend that you set it to do some other change, for example a slight exposure bracketing which will at least not ruin many shots at once. Probably the best way to switch between RAW and JPEG is the control panel, but remember that you can choose between PEF and DNG and that can only be done in the menu.
01-14-2013, 04:41 AM   #6

Original Poster
RAW-Thanks Guys

Thanks for all of the advice, now I know how to get into RAW at last. This weekend I've been playing around with a SanDisk Eye-Fi Pro X2 8GB+Wi-Wi memory card and I have no complaints, it downloads RAW and JPEGS.
It has geotagging and with SanDisk software (extra cost) the card (camera) uploads images from anywhere.to a server and then downloads to the PC.
Thanks again,
Dobson
01-14-2013, 05:18 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Dobson Quote
Thanks for all of the advice, now I know how to get into RAW at last.
Payback time

Tell me if you need to have an external WiFi network for this Eye-fi transfer to work, or is it OK if you for example set the computer (or the iPad or the phone) to create a network? Or is it the Ey-fi that creates the network, and you can join it with your computer? And just about how quickly (seconds per frame) does it take to transfer a RAW file?

01-14-2013, 05:24 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
i suggest you to read the K5 manual, there is many usefull things in it !
01-14-2013, 08:05 AM   #9

Original Poster
SanDisk Eye-Fi Pro X2 8GB+Wi-Wi memory card

During the initial setup you connect the card to your local PC network just as though you were connecting a Smart TV etc. using the router's code allocated to you initially.
Afer the setup, the card is withdrawn from the PC and inserted into the camera.
Then take a few shots and within a few seconds the images appear on the screen. The camera has to stay switched on until all the photos are uploaded, but it is very quick even the RAW images.
After that even though the computer is not switched on, out in the field the camera(card) finds a hotspot and uploads the shots to SanDisks server where they stay until the PC is switched on and then
the photos are downloaded to the computer.
As I said extra SanDisk software is needed to do this but the photos are stored at the server.
I hope I've written clearly enough, you do need the Pro X20 for RAW images.
I suggest you visit the SanDisk website where perhaps they can explain it more clearly.
But so far I have not encountered any problems.
Dobson