Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2013, 08:11 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K-5 Sensor Replacement Cost

Anyone know how much it is?

I have some funky brown staining on the bottom edge of my sensor showing up in my shots at and above f/7.1 that's getting on my nerves. I know it was not there when I got it but I did do a lot of lens changing and extension tube work while adjusting to the camera. As such it's possible the staining is in some way my fault so I'm assuming Pentax will say it is and not cover it under the extended warranty. I don't know what I could have done to cause it either. With the exception of way too many dead pixels in video mode that's my only issue with the camera. There's a scratch on the LCD but I know that is my fault, I usually hate wearing straps. I wore one for 1 friggin day and it somehow scratched the LCD! Never again I tell you!

01-13-2013, 09:25 AM   #2

If you do have an extended warranty, try that first, before you assume it's your fault. You have nothing to lose.
01-13-2013, 10:16 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When I had my K20 it started showing a very high amount of noise. I sent it in to CRIS and they just replaced it (took 3 weeks) - no questions asked. Granted, its not the same symptoms - but using tubes and changing lenses such should not lead to this condition. Send it in and see what they do.

01-13-2013, 10:18 AM   #4
Banned

You have tried all possible cleaning methods?

01-13-2013, 10:37 AM   #5

Check if your camera has sensor stains, sensor replacement is still free for that! Maybe you can kill two birds with one stone!
01-13-2013, 10:47 AM   #6
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
You have tried all possible cleaning methods?
Is the "brown stuff" present on the sensor cover (that is, the glass plate covering the sensor) or is it actually underneath the cover? Is it within the senor itself?

I agree that, unless you are absolutely convinced that the problem lies internally to the sensor, an attempt at cleaning would be my humble suggestion before you send the camera off for repair. Trying to clean the sensor cover yourself (with an approved cleaning solution) should NOT void your warranty.

There are a number of sensor cleaners (as opposed to simple "dust removers" ) now on the market . Personally, I'm partial to the swabs and liquid cleaners marketed by Visible Dust , but there are many others of equal quality also marketed by other firms.
01-13-2013, 01:10 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Your camera is designed to allow you to change lenses and use extension tubes. It's not your fault. Send it in for warranty repair.

01-13-2013, 02:28 PM   #8

Original Poster
Ya, the brown stuff is not visible on the sensor cover no matter what angle I hit it with light. It's something behind the glass I think.

Either way I plan to send it back to claim my free one time complete checkup just because it's the off season for me and I can afford to not have my camera right now.

I'm just concerned about what it will cost if they decide to tell me I have to pay for a new sensor.
01-13-2013, 02:41 PM   #9

Original Poster
I shot this just a moment ago against a blank wall the exaggerated the blacks and levels to make all the dust and stain stand out. Lots of dust and stainage.

Just looking at it will probably give you nightmares.

Full Res Image 18mb
01-13-2013, 03:31 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looks to me as if a thorough sensor clean should be the first step - then see what remains to decide on what to do next.