Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2013, 01:00 AM   #1

My K5 has sensor stain

Hi everybody,
I bought one Pentax K5 body in Sep 2012. A few days ago, i found about 20 stains on sensor. As I've known, the body that has this sensor failure was exchanged for a new body in the past. But now, K5 body is discontinued, so I don't know how producer deal with my case? If case they don't exchange body or replace sensor, how to clean stains?

IMGP2520

01-20-2013, 02:28 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That looks more like dust to me. I'd try cleaning your sensor with a rocket blower and then seeing if they're still there.

Here are some photos of what sensor stains look like:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/125009-stains-your-k5d-sensor-poll.html

If it is a stain they will fix it for you under warranty. Servicing it should be no problem because the K-5 uses the same parts as the K-5 II.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-20-2013, 02:44 AM   #3
Veteran Member

It was really only the very early K-5s that had this problem anyway, like mine. As Adam said that is most likely dust, easy to clean.
01-20-2013, 04:04 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks Adam and AussieTrev. I've tried to clean but they're still. Perhaps the previous image has low contrast, so they look like dust. In follwing hight contrast image, they look like more stain.

IMGP2520b

01-20-2013, 04:14 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Definitely just run of the mill dust, happens to every interchangeable lens digital camera. The K-5 sensor stains had a very specific pattern, nothing like the random spots yours is showing.
01-20-2013, 08:23 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Looks like dust to me (hopefully a jet blower will take care of it); the sensor stain we have seen in the early production appears to have a 'string' of oil drops - it also appears only if the shot is taken at the min-aperture like f22.
01-20-2013, 08:30 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Have you tried a good wet-cleaning?

This is what the K5d sensor stains looked like during the "epidemic" on the first run K5d's:

Notice the "stains" have a halo around them, sort of like cells, and they clump together.

Pat

01-20-2013, 10:39 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Here is another example, typical and may be more visible than the ve2fvd one. The stains are ALWAYS located at the center of the sensor
The body is currently back to pentax - under warranty- to fix it.
You have no stain, only dust that can be removed - by the way, the Pentax sensor cleaning kit works well
Regards
01-20-2013, 12:40 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's another actual stain (my old K-5, exchanged under warranty). Typically its a string of marks, or in some cases a clump. Yours definitely look more like dust. If you've already tried a good blower, suggest you do a wet clean of your sensor (or have it done if you don't want to try yourself). I'm sure it will sort out your problem.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo