Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2013, 02:55 AM   #1

Sigma 10-20mm f4 vs f3.5?

Anyone have any recomendations on which one is better. I have seen a few posts regarding this yet the reviews seem to favour the older lens and a couple of hundred bucks cheaper. Plus the filters are cheaper and the polarizer for the older f4 lens.

01-22-2013, 06:46 AM   #2
Banned

Photos: Albums
This almost make sme wish that I had a direct same sensor comparison between the two different variations of the Sigma lens'. From what I can tell of the end result pics though... The Sigma 3.5 looks better; even when viewing an 11x14 screen image unmagnified.

Sure it is a bit of a disadvantage to have such a large front end filter, but that's also the major advantage - in optics. Not only the larger front end optics but also the dual eld's and the slightly better aperature. But also even if lighting conditions did allow for near identical comparison - the 3.5 is also faster at focusing. About the only other minor disadvantage is the fact that the lens cannot quite handle the full frame of a film camera, but it is terribly close on that one.

Or how about an even more interesting comparison... Comparing the Sigma 10-20mm (constant aperature through the zoom range) f3.5 to the Pentax labeled 10-17... The Sigma wins on four counts - better optically, better constant aperature, faster focusing, and better build quality.

Also noting - if you are able to wait - this is almost the exact focal length range that Sigma will eventually release in a full frame lens, but at a considerably higher price - most likely 1k++ in price
01-22-2013, 07:47 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For general use, I doubt that you would notice any difference, I have the older 10-20 and the slower lens (note it is F4-5.6 vs F3.5 constant aperture) has not been a significant issue shooting, because usually it is outside and in well lit areas. If I want speed I will take my zenitar 16mm FE or the samyang 14/2.8.

The is a full frame sigma now, the 12-24. But it is a monster