Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2013, 12:51 PM   #1
Forum Member

Remote shutter release

Hello Folks,

Awhile ago I purchased a Vello wired remote switch for my K-5. It didn't work and I set it aside, thinking I would just get another sometime when I placed an order with BH. Today, in a moment of idle tinkering, I took it apart and checked it with a continuity tester. The device works perfectly. So I tried it in the camera again, with the same result, nothing.

Is there a setting I am not aware of, necessary to allow the remote shutter release to function?

Thanks, Tom

01-27-2013, 01:14 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tom,
The wired remote should not be anything complicated. It is just a make/break switch. But I have seen those 1/8" plugs be a little off from specification and not make good contact. Try wiggling the plug to see if there is any slop or try pushing it in and holding it with your finger or try pulling it just slightly part way out or pushing it to one side or the other to see if it works.

Short answer, even if those ideas work all they will tell you is that the plug is a little off and will not work with the k-5 properly. If that is the case you can cut off the plug end and replace it with a radio shack one. But I'm not sure if it would be worth the time and trouble depending on what you paid for it originally.
01-27-2013, 02:25 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Well, I'll be dog goned! It appears to be a firm solid fit, but I pressed on it and it worked perfectly. I'll look for a better fitting jack at Radio Shack. Thank you, Tom

P.s., I just measured the barrel diameter of the jack. It is 0.098", so I presume the nominal diameter is 0.100". I would have thought that being undersized only 0.002" would not have been a problem, and actually I don't think it is. It appears that the length is the defective dimension. The barrel fits snuggly, but pressing straight in causes the device to start working.

Anyway, thanks for the help.

Last edited by Tatume; 01-27-2013 at 05:05 PM.
01-28-2013, 10:47 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tatume Quote
I just measured the barrel diameter of the jack. It is 0.098", so I presume the nominal diameter is 0.100". I would have thought that being undersized only 0.002" would not have been a problem,
Actually I think the specification is written in millimeters and that is a 2.5mm jack which works out to about 3/32" not the 1/8" I quoted above. And 3/32" is .09375". I assume a certain amount of tolerance for fit. I just measured mine out of curiosity and the male barrel measured exactly 2.5mm.

I have come across a lot of those jacks where they just are not quite up to spec and cause problems, just cheaply made and no quality control. Anyway glad you found an answer.

01-28-2013, 02:00 PM   #5

I've found some of these smaller plugs and sockets sometimes don't click fully home, even 3.5 headphone plugs feel home but not right. Plug bodies fouling on after market phone cases are common.
Check if there is a foul or close fit with the opening, otherwise it can be just down to the strength of the spring contact in the socket.
If a foul is found trim the plug body not your camera body
With conventional 1/4" plugs for headphones, musical instruments etc,because of the size it's easier to push home due to size, reduced sizes obviously don't have the "grip size" feel hence feeling tighter or harder to insert correctly.

Alan