Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-28-2013, 07:15 AM   #16

Oh jeez... RIP K-5.
Thanks for the heads up though. I know I wont be pulling the hose on my k-5. It sounds like something I'd too

Incidently, if it was covered in sand and dust, how WOULD you wash it?

01-28-2013, 02:13 PM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by cpho Quote
Oh jeez... RIP K-5.
Thanks for the heads up though. I know I wont be pulling the hose on my k-5. It sounds like something I'd too

With a dry brush(brushes) blower and/or vacuum and a VERY final wipe with wet wipes (more damp than wet). that's how we clean off Afgan sand from aircraft instruments!

Alan
01-28-2013, 03:20 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cpho Quote
I would use the same method as I did for getting rid of chocolate-milk.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 11-11-2014 at 05:46 PM.
01-28-2013, 03:45 PM   #19
Veteran Member

That had to be quite a bit of water for several seconds. Typically my electronics are pretty resilient unless you really douse them. You can always try putting it in a bag of rice.

01-28-2013, 04:18 PM   #20

Don't assume it's dead. My k100d went under water - completely, twice -- while tubing down the river (I know, stupid). Didn't do anything special, just let it dry naturally. Still working two years later. Search Chattahoochee if you want the details.
01-28-2013, 06:41 PM   #21

The K5 is able to handle a lot. If for some reason water got inside, just take the battery out, open small doors and seals and let it dry. Put it next to and air conditioning outlet (lens mount facing down so no excessive dust gets in) and try recharging the battery after you let it dry for a day. The rice bag trick worked for my K20D some years ago. My K5 has able to handle this:

Good luck.
01-28-2013, 06:57 PM   #22

Original Poster
Thank you all, great experiences and advice, specially PentaxJax for his support.

It's Been more than 24 hours is in the bag with disecant and Phase II is ON, I bought cat litter of pure silica gel and made my own silica bags with tea bags, put one inside the battery hole, one little inside the lens mount and left open all main doors, put six more around and the others I had sorrouding the whole camera, and the glasses of rice nerby in another space but in the same bag. So this is it, I couldnt put more disecant in the play, in 24 hours I will try to turn it ON. I'm in the edge, i don't know what I will do if it doesnt start... Sure, i would love to buy a K5 II but my finances are really tight at this moment, awful I would say.

Wish me luck

01-28-2013, 07:07 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PacoX8 Quote
in 24 hours I will try to turn it ON
I would give it longer than that, possibly 3 days.
01-28-2013, 07:12 PM   #24

Just to make sure...all the silica bags and the camera and INSIDE a bigger sealed bag? Remember to include the battery in the drying procedure and then charging it.
01-28-2013, 07:21 PM   #25

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
I would give it longer than that, possibly 3 days.
mm yeah that's reasonable... 24 hours more

QuoteOriginally posted by CRPhoto Quote
Just to make sure...all the silica bags and the camera and INSIDE a bigger sealed bag? Remember to include the battery in the drying procedure and then charging it.
Nop, should I do that ? Don't have a bag completely sealed.
But is inside a lowepro bag closed :s
The battery is inside too
01-28-2013, 07:22 PM   #26
Pentaxian

I once lost a film camera that was good until 12 feet. My sister in law took it scuba diving and came to the beach to change film. When she opened the backdoor a few grains of sand got onto the rubber seals on the back of the camera, and that was enough to let in enough sea water to ruin it. The fact that something is designed to be WR doesn't mean you've kept it that way. Something you didn't notice can make a difference. Once you have lost a camera or two you'll start to get the hang of it.
01-28-2013, 08:01 PM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by PacoX8:
Nop, should I do that ? Don't have a bag completely sealed.
But is inside a lowepro bag closed :s
The battery is inside too
Well that's just to make sure the silica bags get all the moisture from the camera only, not from the ambient air. If your house has Air Conditioning then maybe the relative humidity is already low so you should be ok with the closed lowepro bag. Here in Costa Rica most houses don't have AC and the normal humidity is always high so I used a sealed bag for my K20D when it suffered a similar incident.
01-28-2013, 08:49 PM   #28

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CRPhoto Quote
Well that's just to make sure the silica bags get all the moisture from the camera only, not from the ambient air. If your house has Air Conditioning then maybe the relative humidity is already low so you should be ok with the closed lowepro bag. Here in Costa Rica most houses don't have AC and the normal humidity is always high so I used a sealed bag for my K20D when it suffered a similar incident.
Found one in home, now is totally sealed and sorrounded with silica, will leave it for 48 more hours, this is THE last real resource to make it live again, thanks for your time
01-28-2013, 09:31 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PacoX8 Quote
Found one in home, now is totally sealed and sorrounded with silica, will leave it for 48 more hours, this is THE last real resource to make it live again, thanks for your time
is your place very humid? why seal the bag? wouldn't let it air dry better?
Hope it come back to life!
01-29-2013, 01:42 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I was taking pics under heavy rain, my K-5 with not sealed KIT lens (actually the AL version from k-x) was literally soaking wet and nothing bad happened. Also, at the same night I put an old MF lens with remade bayonet to fit Pentax (read:not faultless or gapless when put on) and still took many pictures. Lucky me I guess.