Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-29-2013, 04:42 AM   #31

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
is your place very humid? why seal the bag? wouldn't let it air dry better?
Hope it come back to life!
Not really humid, but I guess since is a small confined space the desicant can absorb quickly the humidity than in a larger space, and I don't think is going to hurt it, right? any comments on that?

I'm trying to be overkill to assure I do everything I can.

01-29-2013, 12:32 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Don't turn the flash on whatever you do until the camera has been working for a couple of days. 300 volts will find the tiniest bit of moisture.
01-29-2013, 05:45 PM   #33

Original Poster
Yes!!! yeah! It works !

I couldnt resist the temptation to know if it at least gave some signal of life after 50 long hours, when i inserted the sd it flashed red, good signal, then the turn of the famous on off button, it started!, jezzz I'm so relieved right now, thank to everybody, it might not be water proof, but yeah, this camera is a legend, I will never do that again!
01-29-2013, 05:49 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great result for a truly great camera. I look forward to seeing more of your action shots like the Dakar!!!

01-29-2013, 05:58 PM   #35

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxJax Quote
Great result for a truly great camera. I look forward to seeing more of your action shots like the Dakar!!!
thank you man, your support by mp was really encouraging and thanks for praises., although my shots are not that great is nice to get some good feedback, to know people like your work.

Now to use it to know if it suffered some consequence in the mid term.

Tragicomic thing is i recorded in HD the whole hose thing, I didnt say it earlier because i was afraid it would die, something like " don't do this to your Pentax" LOL
02-01-2013, 03:17 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PacoX8 Quote
Tragicomic thing is i recorded in HD the whole hose thing, I didnt say it earlier because i was afraid it would die, something like " don't do this to your Pentax" LOL
Excellent, you need to post that video, so that we can see how much pressure it took to effect your camera.
p.s. clad that it came back to life.
02-01-2013, 05:25 PM   #37

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Excellent, you need to post that video, so that we can see how much pressure it took to effect your camera.
p.s. clad that it came back to life.
I watched it again and it was painful to watch, I really understimate the pressure on that hose, it was more powerful than I described it at first, I'm debating if upload it, it's painful to watch and it was really dumb what I did, I might do it as a lesson learned thing! Should I?
It's recorded even when it died in my hands!

02-01-2013, 07:06 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

might do it as a lesson learned thing! Should I?
IMO you should, it could benefit future owners.
02-01-2013, 07:11 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Not really humid, but I guess since is a small confined space the desicant can absorb quickly the humidity than in a larger space, and I don't think is going to hurt it, right? any comments on that?

I'm trying to be overkill to assure I do everything I can.
Glad it come back to life.

I was thinking it should be well ventilated area, but I think I am wrong as dust can go in if left it outside..giving you another problem...
02-02-2013, 06:01 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sure glad to read that your camera is working, however I highly suggest you send it in to have all the seals checked out and at the same time have the rest of the camera checked out. I have put my K-5 through several real life water scenarios and it has never let me down, this is why I am thinking you are having some seal issues.
02-02-2013, 08:04 AM   #41

Excellent news! Glad your camera is working again! Go ahead and post the video, now that we know it has a good ending!!!
02-02-2013, 12:07 PM   #42

Original Poster
02-02-2013, 02:59 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ouch, that was some considerable pressure...glad your camera works again, thanks for posting the video.

Cheers.
02-02-2013, 04:36 PM   #44

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Ouch, that was some considerable pressure...glad your camera works again, thanks for posting the video.

Cheers.
Don't mention it, is the least I can do for the community after you guys helped me.
It's painful to watch but it was necessary to post it.

Cheers
02-03-2013, 08:47 PM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I found this thread too late to be useful, but my wife's Canon P&S got water logged in a backpack with a leaking water bottle. I sealed it in a zip lock bag with little packets of silica gel (packets that arrived with purchases of electronic stuff) for a couple of days. I left the battery/card door open. After two days it turned on OK but wouldn't take a picture and droplets were still visible under the LCD. After another week, it seemed to be working OK. Since we had already bought a replacement (holidays without a camera leave a bit to be desired) we gave it to 8 year old granddaughter so her father could do some training. The damn thing chewed up batteries like crazy; the good news is that the batteries were old rechargables and past their best, the camera is now working fine.
I have now purchased silica gel from a commercial supplier - it comes in a perforated aluminium case with a button that indicates if the silica is still dry and instructions for recharging it after use. I don't think I can advertise the supplier here, but google silica gel and you will find plenty of hits.
So glad your camera still works.

ps - Using a sealed bag was the correct use; that prevents the silica from absorbing ambient moisture from the air instead of from the camera.