Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-13-2013, 06:28 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Get Ripped Like A Climber! – A K-5 Shoot.

Hey folks!

Back in December I got to work on a super fun project for Climbing Magazine's currently on the stand Training Issue. The idea was to write an in depth article on training for climbing which was to be broken down by body part, and to illustrate the kind of body climbing can give you if you keep at it. We decided to go with a set of high contrast, black and white, semi fine art pictures of actual climbers as the literal embodiment of climbing fitness. Here's the link to the web version of the article:

New climbing workouts to refresh your gym training and guarantee spring sends | Climbing

Three late night shoots with young, ripped, greased up climbers, and this is what we got. This was definitely one of my favorite projects of the year; always fun to do something a little outside of your usual projects. Be sure to click on the images and view them larger. If you get a chance, check them out in the print issue, or better yet, on the iPad. Wishing I had the K-5IIs in time for this shoot, would have been a great fit.

What do y'all think? Would love to hear your feedback!

Cheerio.

02-13-2013, 06:35 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Those are great shots and article. Both the photography and the sport are out of my league, but congrats on a job well done
02-13-2013, 06:57 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Very nice Ben. Congratulations!
02-13-2013, 07:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Those are great shots and article. Both the photography and the sport are out of my league, but congrats on a job well done
My thoughts exactly.

02-13-2013, 07:11 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Pictures are amazing, this one in particular:

Enjoyed the article too!
02-13-2013, 07:11 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by FullertonImages Quote
Hey folks!

Back in December I got to work on a super fun project for Climbing Magazine's currently on the stand Training Issue. The idea was to write an in depth article on training for climbing which was to be broken down by body part, and to illustrate the kind of body climbing can give you if you keep at it. We decided to go with a set of high contrast, black and white, semi fine art pictures of actual climbers as the literal embodiment of climbing fitness. Here's the link to the web version of the article:

New climbing workouts to refresh your gym training and guarantee spring sends | Climbing

Three late night shoots with young, ripped, greased up climbers, and this is what we got. This was definitely one of my favorite projects of the year; always fun to do something a little outside of your usual projects. Be sure to click on the images and view them larger. If you get a chance, check them out in the print issue, or better yet, on the iPad. Wishing I had the K-5IIs in time for this shoot, would have been a great fit.

What do y'all think? Would love to hear your feedback!

Cheerio.
Great lighting Ben. Always enjoyed the Backpacking/Climbing images in the print versions. Is there a Q in one of your bags?
02-13-2013, 07:25 PM - 1 Like   #7
Banned

Photos: Albums
Good pics.

Ironically that a look at pics and video of the worlds best rock climber; someone who almost always does literally any climb - and without ropes of any kind

The world's best climber is named Alex Honnold and weighs in at about 175 pounds

02-13-2013, 07:43 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Great work Ben! Congrats!
02-13-2013, 07:51 PM   #9
Closed Account

Very good photographs. I doubt the K5-IIs would have made any discernible difference.

The comment by Medium Format Pro is straight from the Dilbert cartoon character "Topper"

Dilbert comic strip for 01/06/2008 from the official Dilbert comic strips archive.
02-13-2013, 11:16 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Excellent shots there, Ben! Great job on the lighting and posing. I don't think you needed a K-5IIs for this photoshoot.
02-14-2013, 12:55 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Excellent work, A good example of High contrast B&W photography.
02-14-2013, 01:07 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Great captures - Very well done - Congrats - J
02-14-2013, 01:33 AM   #13
Veteran Member

nice shots
02-14-2013, 09:07 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hcarvalhoalves Quote

Enjoyed the article too!
That one is awesome!
02-14-2013, 10:32 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
As a climber, i can say the pictures are beautiful and very representative of indoors climbers not excatly outdoor climbers

QuoteOriginally posted by hcarvalhoalves Quote
You never get the arm that "pumped" when you rockclimb or bouldering, only in training session
but saying that doesn't mean the picture is dirty or whatever. The picture is really cooooool

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
Ironically that a look at pics and video of the worlds best rock climber; someone who almost always does literally any climb - and without ropes of any kind
QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
The world's best climber is named Alex Honnold and weighs in at about 175 pounds
What's ironical is that this guy isn't very appreciated from daily climbers : he gives a bad and scary idea of this sports, and he's far from being the best - the strongest.
This guy is doing exactly the thing no one ever do (better climb with a rope to stay alive, or jump from a cliff if you want to commit suicide ... why do the worst of both : scare the hell out of yourself, and possibly failling to commit suicide ?).

Adam Ondra proposed a new route 9b+ "Change" at Flatanger cave in Norway probably one of the 10 hardest route ever done.

Check Chuck Fryberger films like "The Scene" / "Core" / "Pure", the last and best film so far about true climbing and bouldering.

Did i say the pictures are awesome ?