Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-17-2013, 02:46 PM   #1

Just Ordered A K-5 from Adorama

I'll post something with regards to my impressions soon. Upgrading from a K200D, which I am keeping along with my K2000D and Pentax ESII (black) film. I have manual M-42 & K mount, A, and autofocus lenses, so it will take a while to cycle through them all with the K-5.

JB

02-17-2013, 02:51 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats! The K-5 is a pretty big upgrade, and I'm sure you'll enjoy it

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-20-2013, 10:02 PM - 1 Like   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Congrats! The K-5 is a pretty big upgrade, and I'm sure you'll enjoy it
K-5 arrived today. Adorama packaged it well. Put the battery on charge and covered the displays with clear protection. Looked through the manual and hope to get outside some shortly. I put the battery in and went through setting up and things like allowing aperature ring and setting some buttons. Put my Tamron 70-200/2.8 on it and focused on the window sill since it was way past dark. I focused on the faint reflection in the window of the kitchen refrigerator with the magnets and stuff whose reflection was just beside the frame of the window. The autofocus zipped right in and gave a clear image of the front of the fridge with the magnets in the viewfinder (lens at 70mm & 2.8). There was no hunting or hesitation and I could select the focus spot on the window frame and get it in clear view. I know this is not a quantifiable test, but I am thrilled and looking forward to some lowlight shots to see how this K-5 works. I think I am going to like it!!

JB
02-21-2013, 10:39 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Hi JB, congratulations for owning the best APS-C camera as per DxO com. I request you check thoroughly if you got the Pentax original "new in the box" item, and not customer returns or un-boxed items. Check for the shutter count and manufacturing date on the Pentax Forum as released by Adam. Check also that you have the Ricoh produced camera and NOT the Hoya era one.
In April 2009 B&H sold me a new K20D with over 600 shutter actuations and manufactured one year earlier ie April 2008. I have till today received no satisfactory reply from Mr. Henry Posner, who is the Pentax Forum co-ordinator. This despite being a loyal B&H Customer for over (14) years.
Have attached a few photos from my recent shoot with the K-5 and Sigma 10-20. By the way, bought the K-5 with DA 18-135 WR from Henry's in Toronto this January for CAD 1108 including taxes + shipping - USD & CAD are almost at par.
Regards. Bipin.

Last edited by nanhi; 03-25-2013 at 11:41 PM.
02-21-2013, 09:28 PM   #5

Original Poster
Bipin,

Thanks for the heads up. Before purchasing, I spoke with a person at Adorama to confirm that their stock was Pentax Ricoh and not the older Hoya ones. I will check the shutter count. I really like the shot with the lamps for the colors, all the designs (even the wall in the background on the right). The fine details are clear. I am looking forward to capturing some fine images with this camera.

JB
02-21-2013, 10:30 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Take-5-JB Quote
Bipin,

Thanks for the heads up. Before purchasing, I spoke with a person at Adorama to confirm that their stock was Pentax Ricoh and not the older Hoya ones. I will check the shutter count. I really like the shot with the lamps for the colors, all the designs (even the wall in the background on the right). The fine details are clear. I am looking forward to capturing some fine images with this camera.

JB
JB, I forgot to mention the lamp shot was at ISO 1600. Exif data is attached. I was testing the high ISO capability of the K-5 as my older K-20D was limited to ISO 800 to 1200 for a clean noiseless shot. Sharpness has been lost ofcourse when shrinking the photo to some 400 KB from 16 MB.
Enjoy your K-5.
Regards. Bipin
02-22-2013, 06:56 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I also just purchased a K5 from Adorama. I checked the ID tag on the bottom and it says Pentax Ricoh Imaging Co., but had firmware 1.01 in it. Waiting for the weather to break so I can give it a workout!

02-23-2013, 03:40 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by birdman59 Quote
I also just purchased a K5 from Adorama. I checked the ID tag on the bottom and it says Pentax Ricoh Imaging Co., but had firmware 1.01 in it. Waiting for the weather to break so I can give it a workout!
Yep, mine too came with Firmware version 1.01 - how sad?? So I upgraded it to the latest version 1.14. It made a big difference overall. Enjoy a great machine.