Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2013, 07:41 PM   #1

K5 lls focusing improvements

Do those of you that own a K5 lls or K5 ll find the focusing greatly improved over the K5? I know the low light is much improved but what about daylight? You know how the K5 just seems to think to much when focusing? Is the new model more precise?
Still wondering about a upgrade. The focusing fixes would be the deciding factor for me.
Peter

02-19-2013, 07:50 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Petey44 Quote
Do those of you that own a K5 lls or K5 ll find the focusing greatly improved over the K5? I know the low light is much improved but what about daylight? You know how the K5 just seems to think to much when focusing? Is the new model more precise?
Still wondering about a upgrade. The focusing fixes would be the deciding factor for me.
Peter
The K-5 II still thinks to much, but IMO it is a bit faster during the day. It is only noticeably faster in low light though, because let's be honest, the K-5 is already pretty darn good all around. In continuous mode there's hardly any improvement, and that's the area that Pentax says they're going to fix up next!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-19-2013, 08:08 PM   #3

Original Poster
Yes, there's no doubt the K5 performs very well. I'm just looking for some improvements to justify a purchase. I shot with my two K5's at last years BOA Chicago Marathon. I've been asked back to do another race in April. I may also be at the finish line this time. That's where I need the extra performance. I guess I'll just need to work a little harder to get the shot!!!
Thanks for your reply Adam,
Peter
02-20-2013, 02:01 AM   #4
Veteran Member

IMO, the K5IIs is more accurate in any light than the K5 is, and hunts a bit less. I daily shoot in light that goes from super bright to heavy shadow and it never misses a beat, and the regular K5 used to mis-focus a good 10% of the time. We have a good 20,000 shutter counts on the K5 and over 3,000 on the IIs, so this is very real for us. If it helps, the IIs feels faster to focus than our Nikon D3X did, is just as accurate, but still does not recognize faces in PDAF or predict fast moving subjects as well as the Nikon. K5IIs does track our dogs much better though, if that helps. Why not rent one for a few days?

David

02-20-2013, 10:07 AM   #5
Pentaxian

It is always the corner cases that matter. I regularly run into the limits of the K5. In good light with something contrasty, it works fine, but in first light or in the shade, I'm down to manually focussing my DA*300. Even in decent light it often doesn't differentiate foreground and background. I've been tempted by the IIs, but reading of further AF developments coming from Pentax I think I'll wait for the next body release. Full frame or not.
02-21-2013, 07:14 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks all for your comments. I have a few weeks to make a decision. When you're out on the course and surrounded by media and other Pro's it can be a little nerve racking. I know my equipment is perfectly capable of capturing what I'm paid to do. Having the best I can offer myself at this time may be worth the investment.
Peter