Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2013, 04:41 PM   #1

Freeze Issue Redux - K5 IIs

Hi -

I know there have been some discussions about the K5 freezing. Some have returned the camera, others have seen the issue disappear after a while.

Here's what's happening with mine. My understanding that most of the reports of freezing have occurred while shooting in AF-C. Mine has occurred in AF-S, while shooting relatively rapidly (although not more than say 2FPS).

I start getting blue and other color lines both vertically and horizontally. If I notice it immediately, I stop shooting, and after a few seconds, it seems to correct itself. But if I'm not chimping and keep shooting, not realizing there's an issue, the camera freezes. Power off, doesn't matter. I have to remove the battery and restart, which then resolves the issue.

I'm attaching a sample image. Is this what's considered "sensor stain"? If so, with body still under warranty, should I return for service? I purchased directly from Pentax.

I should also note that in both instances where this happened, it was in cold (15-30F degrees) outdoor temps, with rain/mist.

Thanks,

Jay

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
02-23-2013, 04:42 PM   #2

Original Poster
This is a K5 IIs, to be clear

Just reread post and wanted to clarify this is a K5 IIs. About a month old.
02-23-2013, 05:17 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would try a different SD card, if it made no difference, I would send the camera back. That is not a sensor stain BTW.
02-23-2013, 05:31 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That looks brutal so test another card as suggested or you really should return or service it.

02-23-2013, 05:33 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

That's definitely not a sensor issue, looks like a corrupt file- but that's nasty! Shouldn't ever happen in the first place.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-23-2013, 06:36 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not sensor stain, looks like a corrupt file. I have had a few vaguely similar. Try a different SD card before you do anything else. If you can duplicate it on two different cards then you might have a problem, but I would suspect the card first. What brand and speed are you using?
02-23-2013, 07:15 PM   #7
Veteran Member

That happened to me a few times when I had a D70s....it turned out to be bad cards.

02-23-2013, 08:29 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. At first I thought it had occurred on two separate cards, but I think it may have been the same one. SanDisk Ultra SDHC 8GB 30MB/s.

Shooting RAW. Will attempt to replicate on a different card, no luck replicating on same card or different card yet.
03-21-2013, 02:25 PM   #9

Original Poster
Well, a month later, and it's now occurring on multiple cards. Contacted Pentax support, sent them images, and they think it's a sensor issue. So I just shipped off my K5 IIs to Arizona, and already miss her. Will let y'all know what happens.
03-21-2013, 05:56 PM   #10
Inactive Account

I've just bought a K-5 IIs and installed latest version, 1.3, and found that twice on first day's shoot already the camera has "frozen" electronically. The only way to be able to fix it is remove battery, replace and re-start! It may be something to do with so easily accidentally pressing buttons like LV which are too easy to press by accident?
I love the camera (in theory and for sharpness) BUT thumb-grip not ergonomic, buttons too easy to accidentally press, especially with gloves on and this "freeze" issue is just plain annoying! No "stain" or "bleed" BTW.
The body needs re-design (wider & better thumb-grip angle) and Firmware 1.3 updating to elimintae lock-ups.The shutter/mirror, althogh muffled due to sealing, is quite a camera jogger, even when being held really still. Bummer, considering the price! It's got real potential; pity that Pentax doen't seem to consult real photographers when designing!!!
03-21-2013, 08:37 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Get yourself a grip then try it again. My IIs thankfully has zero problems.
03-21-2013, 08:54 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Old_Taoist Quote
I've just bought a K-5 IIs and installed latest version, 1.3, and found that twice on first day's shoot already the camera has "frozen" electronically. The only way to be able to fix it is remove battery, replace and re-start! It may be something to do with so easily accidentally pressing buttons like LV which are too easy to press by accident?
I love the camera (in theory and for sharpness) BUT thumb-grip not ergonomic, buttons too easy to accidentally press, especially with gloves on and this "freeze" issue is just plain annoying! No "stain" or "bleed" BTW.
The body needs re-design (wider & better thumb-grip angle) and Firmware 1.3 updating to elimintae lock-ups.The shutter/mirror, althogh muffled due to sealing, is quite a camera jogger, even when being held really still. Bummer, considering the price! It's got real potential; pity that Pentax doen't seem to consult real photographers when designing!!!
I really like the thumb grip and find it really hard to accidentally push any buttons, it's like a glove in my hands. So the last sentence you wrote should be "Pentax doen't seem to consult me when designing".

Mirror/shutter shake is pretty much a DSLR issue, most cameras seem worse at this. The 645D on the other hand really jumps in your hands when shooting,, still I really really want one!
03-22-2013, 03:33 PM   #13
Inactive Account

@Jbinpg & VD: Sorry guys, but it does not "fit like a glove" in my hand (my 35mm Contax used to though ;-). I have normal hands, slightly small but cannot say that the thumb-grip is at all comfortable for me. The LV button is too close to the 4-way buttons and it is too easy to press the LV and sometimes others when you are, for instance, adjusting grip or moving position.
OK, I was going to avoid names, but the issue has been forced! My EOS has a shutter release button in the right place and where my index digit should be. I find the Shutter Release on the K5 something I had to search for on occasion; this may be of course the fact that I am used to having one under my finger, rather than a few mm back and there is a difference in body sizes!

The concept I love. Pentax has always been a favourite since I used 35mm (except that the Contax was superior!) and I have been involved in photography virtually all my life; just "framing" when I was a kid, but from Art College in 1960 onwards in both keen Amateur and pro modes. I know when a camera suits, or not and am not biased.

Just to set the record straight, before someone else jumps in with remarks that are not thought through;
Having looked at my first results the images are better at 100% than my EOS + "Bigma"; using K-5 IIs with Pentax 55-300 - which is reviewed by me.
But, like I said, there could be improvements to this camera and I can think of a few.

In recent years I have used and owned Nikon (full frame), Canon (aps-c) and various Compacts, and now this... in my quest to find a Digital that actually provides good results with compact zooms, but is lighter, "snappier" and almost ideal for walk-about wildlife and landscape, close-ups and general whilst using non-primes: Come on, how many people really want to change lenses outdoors when its damp, frosty, dusty or with pollen blowing into the camera?

As one review concludes "We find that the risk of moiré is low to non-existing in most situations, especially when shooting anything that's non man-made." and I bought this because I am seeking better pictures of animals - to get more detail in fur and feather - and so far, am not disapointed with my first results in comparison to the more expensive EOS and "Bigma" kit I normally use for this (hand held morte often than "propped").
03-23-2013, 11:02 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How the grip feels and what button placement you prefer is obviously a personal decision based on both your hand size and what you have become accustomed to. I have also tried a number of other brands and greatly prefer the Pentax ergonomics which is why I stay with Pentax. With most DSLRs being so close in IQ today that it really takes pixel peeping to see any real world difference the ergonomics are the primary factor for me. The camera that fits right in my hand with buttons I can hit without looking or thinking is the one I will use the most and get better pictures from.
03-26-2013, 12:24 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I this has gotten off topic.
I just bought a K5 IIs as well and am on a week long trip through Nevada. Mine froze electronically three times within the first 200 images shot. Weather was in the 70s Fahrenheit. All occurred while using AF-S, shooting jpeg, not in live view, writing to a SanDisk Ultra II 16 gb that I formatted right before use. If I remember correctly I was taking photos in relatively rapid succession.

In afraid of having to send it in. I bought it new on eBay from an American seller that claimed their stuff was '100% USA' though I think mine I'ed the Japanese version. Would that mean I'd have to send it to Japan for servicing? Is it possible that it wouldn't have a warranty? (Yes I'm this naive)