Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2013, 02:49 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
confused about macro lens

Hi everybody,
I have got a new Pentax K5 camera and would like to shoot macro photos.I need a good macro lens for that.I am planning to buy 100mm 2.8 Pentax macro lens(AF) but it is quite expensive for me.I can also use manual lenses easily,but I could not decide/find a good affordable manual macro lens...what are your opinions about macro lenses?Could you please help me make a decision?Any help & idea will be highly appreciated.thanks a lot in advance..

02-24-2013, 04:14 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Any of the Pentax 100mm macro lenses will work just fine. If you can use manual focus you can save a lot by getting the older 'M' model or even an M42 mount Takumar if you can use all manual lenses. If you are on a budget then take a look at the Pentax-A 50mm Macro, not AF and shorter but reasonably priced.

The Sigma 105mm Macro is also highly rated as well as the Tamron 90mm macro. But all that said, the Pentax 100mm f/2.8 WR is very good and worth the price.

If all you want to do is macro on a budget (rather than a macro lens) then read this: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/152336-cheap-macro-b...lose-work.html
02-24-2013, 04:20 PM   #3
Ole
Administrator

Auto focus is not of much importance - I never use auto focus when shooting macro.

The older Pentax-M and K F4 and Pentax-A F4 macro lenses (check the lens database) are excellent and available second hand from time to time.

Keep an eye on the market place - there is at least one Pentax-M 100mm Macro offered for sale right now. Note that "M" lenses can only be used in manual exposure mode whereas the Pentax-A version can work with all exposure modes.

You are doing right by looking for a 100mm lens rather than a shorter focal length. 100mm (or konger) gives you more distance to the object you're photographing and hence easier to work with.
02-24-2013, 07:34 PM   #4
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't agree about M42 lenses for macro (and I have/like them a lot for street photography w/ zone focus and landscapes). For macro you have to focus carefully and then stop down with M42--and in so doing you move slightly and there goes your focus. If you always us a tripod it's not as much of a problem--but still you want to look for the right split second to shoot. In other words auto aperature is hugely important.

As regards FL--typically 50 or 100 (or 35mm now)--depends if you intend to do very close, if you want to do shy insects or plants that don't move) and if you plan to use the macro lens for general shooting (carry one or two lenses) or can take a dedicated macro.

My general purpose is 50mm K f4 lens, but a 50mm f2.8 (e.g., A) would be more useful as a general purpose lense (particularly portraits). For dedicated macro 100mm f4 may be better. For general purpose including landscape/street 35mm may be better.

If you think you may do much macro in future you should get a lens with aperture ring. Otherwise you have limited options for extension tubes/bellows.

02-25-2013, 08:04 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks a lot to every one who sends comments
02-25-2013, 08:40 AM   #6

Beware that the manual focus f/4 macros do not do 1× magnification without an extension tube or diopter lens. The slower maximum aperture can also make a difference if you do a lot of hand-held shooting. And having to manually stop-down with non-A lenses can make focusing difficult for hand-held shots.

Other than that I all of the Pentax macro lenses are excellent or superb optically.
02-25-2013, 09:23 AM   #7

Macro extension tube maybe work... or reverse ring adapter
After it can not fullfill your desire, you can buy a good macro lens then...

02-25-2013, 12:22 PM   #8

Original Poster
Today I placed a bid for a Tokina 70mm f3.5 1:4 macro lens and won it by chance.It ended at like 2.5 USd onlyso not a lose any way.But I do not know if it can be used as a "macro"...Do you think I can get good results?I think it will take like 15 days to arrive here,that's why ı am really curious now.And here a person is selling Petri 35-135 f 3.5-4.5 macro lens.It is the first time I've heard it.Does anyone know anything about it?Can it be used as a portrait lens also?thanks in advance...
02-25-2013, 12:30 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This one maybe? Tokina AF 35-70mm f3.5-4.6 Macro Lens Reviews - Tokina Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database Post a link to pictures. I cannot find a Tokina 70mm though.

As to the Petri, post a link if you can. I believe some Petri are M42 but they also have a breach lock mount that will not work on Pentax.
02-25-2013, 12:45 PM   #10

Original Poster
actually mine is manualI mean Tokina.