Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2013, 07:49 AM   #1

Renaming Windows Files

Hi,

When I rename a file in Windows it automatically moves to its new alphabetical position. With my old Windows XP this did not happen.

Please can someone guide me through how to stop this happening.

02-27-2013, 07:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

At the top of your windows explorer window, there are a number of buttons labeled "date modified" and so on. You can sort the files in a directory by clicking on these.
02-27-2013, 09:12 AM   #3
Closed Account

Just right click in the folder and the options come up to "Arrange by", "Sort by", etc. You set it up how you want to.
02-27-2013, 11:07 AM   #4

Original Poster
deadwolfbones
Thanks for your quick response. I am in Windows 7 and cannot find the buttons you mention.

wcchamp18
Again many thanks Tracy, When I right click the folder, I get - loads of options but no Arrange by or Sort by.

Richard.

02-27-2013, 12:47 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Richard Spencer Quote
deadwolfbones
Thanks for your quick response. I am in Windows 7 and cannot find the buttons you mention.

See how in this image there are "Name," "Date Modified," and "Item Type" above the list of files? Those are the buttons I'm talking about.

If you don't have those, maybe you could take a screenshot of your explorer window and show us what you're looking at?
02-27-2013, 04:09 PM   #6

Original Poster
deadwolfbones
Thank you. That has helped, it is possible to make a fie stay in one place after remaning until I move out of that particular folder. When I re-enter the file has moved.
02-27-2013, 04:11 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In Windows 7 right click anywhere on the folder page and choose the sort method you prefer.

02-27-2013, 04:30 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote

See how in this image there are "Name," "Date Modified," and "Item Type" above the list of files? Those are the buttons I'm talking about.

If you don't have those, maybe you could take a screenshot of your explorer window and show us what you're looking at?
If you do not see the particular button you want, right click on one of the buttons which is visible. That will give a sub-screen which enables you to select which columns are displayed. (Recently discovered this in relation to my day job.)
02-28-2013, 02:13 AM   #9
bxf
Veteran Member

Seems to me nobody is reading the OP's question. He wants to rename a file, but wants it to remain in the same place within the list, until he exits from the particular folder. i.e. he does not want the file to be repositioned according to its new name. I am not aware of a way of doing this.
02-28-2013, 08:46 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
Seems to me nobody is reading the OP's question. He wants to rename a file, but wants it to remain in the same place within the list, until he exits from the particular folder. i.e. he does not want the file to be repositioned according to its new name. I am not aware of a way of doing this.

You made me go look and test it. Before you start renaming just sort the files by date modified. Then when you rename it stays in the exact same place because changing the name does not modify the file. Of course this may not be the preferred method in directories with a lot of files to rename.