Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-28-2013, 08:22 PM   #16

Original Poster
Yeah I found one (K5iis) for less than $1100 so I'm thinking about it. That will allow me to use the extra money for another nice lense.

02-28-2013, 08:23 PM   #17
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MarcyJ Quote
Ok, so I currently own a K10 and love it! Except for the fact that it has no low light capabilities. I'm ready to upgrade and have been thinking of switching to Canon, either a 7d or a 5dmii since those are in my budget. But now I'm starting to think it might be better to stay with Pentax and get the K5iis. That way I don't have to start over with lenses. But I really want the best quality for my images. I mainly shoot bridal boudoir and some other portraiture. Mostly natural light. What do you all suggest?
Since it doesn't sound like you need Canon's AF for sports, you may be fine just upgrading to a K-5.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-28-2013, 08:54 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
For boudoir and portraiture, I'd say get the K-5II, or -- saving some money -- the original K-5. You don't need or even want that extra sharpness for your work, though you might like the snappier low-light autofocus of the II over the original camera.

The main reason you might consider going full frame is for narrower depth of field, using something like an 85/1.2. But that's an expensive lens; you can do pretty darned good portraiture with a Pentax 50-135/2.8, a 50/1.5 DA*, a 77/1.8 limited or even a 70/2.4 (or, for that matter, lots of other Pentax lenses). You might even try one of the old 50/1.2 manual lenses you can find at KEH.
02-28-2013, 09:24 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I came from a Canon 5D to Pentax K-5 II and the only negative for me was the narrower depth of field with FF. One of the things I really like with the Pentax is the lighter size/weight, both with the camera body and lens. FF glass weighs more and the filters will cost more. If you haven't held a FF with lens I would do that.
I shoot mainly landscape or city scape so your needs might be different.

03-01-2013, 06:53 AM   #20

I also switched from a 5DII with L series and Zeiss lenses and moved to Pentax digital (K5) after I stopped shooting weddings. Needless to say I am impressed with the K5 and do not miss the Canon at all. It was hugh and heavy, and had very few things that made my photos any better. I am sure the K5IIs is even better.
03-01-2013, 12:24 PM   #21

Original Poster
I have rented both the 7d and the 5dmii. I honestly wasn't that impressed with the 5dmii, but I thought maybe it was more because I wasn't comfortable with it yet and was making some mistakes. I had issues with the focusing. That's what started me thinking about staying with Pentax. Why leave a good thing. Thank you everyone!! I have made my decision and I'm going to purchase the K5iis. Yay!!
03-02-2013, 08:13 AM - 1 Like   #22
Banned

Photos: Gallery
I mainly shoot bridal boudoir and some other portraiture.
So I googled that, since the words didn't ring any bells for me (not native english). I'm going to change my own photographic hobby too this one

To be honest, the things you need for this:
  • Pentax K-01
  • Pentax FA 31mm/f1.8
  • Pentax DA*55mm/f1.4
  • Pentax FA*85mm/f1.4

With that set you can do anything you want or need. Since you controll environment and light. The boudoirgirls don't run away, so there is no need for any suffisticated AF-system. The K-01 is perfect for laying the focus on the spot where you want it. Image quality is great and you can make large prints (assuming you work on iso 100). Offcourse a Pentax K-5 II(s) would also do the trick.

The dynamic range is the killer in this one:
http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cameras/Compare-Camera-Sensors/Compare-came...(brand3)/Canon

03-02-2013, 01:51 PM   #23

Original Poster
Hi Ron, LOL..it's definitely a fun subject. but I also shoot High School Seniors and that includes their sports or cheer leading and so on. I like to include getting some action shots of them in their high school activities to include in their Senior album/book. It's one of the most popular items I offer and helps up sell most clients to my higher packages. So the AF system is pretty important to me. I also have a 9 yr old daughter and I take a lot of pictures of her and she rarely sits still.
03-02-2013, 02:33 PM   #24
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Hi Ron, LOL..it's definitely a fun subject. but I also shoot High School Seniors and that includes their sports or cheer leading and so on. I like to include getting some action shots of them in their high school activities to include in their Senior album/book. It's one of the most popular items I offer and helps up sell most clients to my higher packages. So the AF system is pretty important to me. I also have a 9 yr old daughter and I take a lot of pictures of her and she rarely sits still.
In that case K-5 II is a better option.