Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2013, 06:48 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Weird problem with my K-5

This is a strange problem with my K-5. I bought a 3rd party batter grip about 2 months ago and it attaches easily and it really helps to balance the weight, especially with my Tamron 70-200. However, when my Sigma 18-50 2.8-4.5 OS HSM lens is mounted on the camera I occasionally lose focus confirmation whether I am using Auto 5 or center point (I use center point 98%). I have to turn the camera off and back on again. A few days ago I was doing some profile shots for a local magazine and it kept happening over and over again. It does not happen with my Tamron 70-200. I am THINKING it may have something to do with the 3rd party grip, but nothing is loose and the battery that is in the grip is a Pentax brand. Has anyone had a similar issue like this occur?

03-01-2013, 07:34 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I haven't but I do not have an HSM lens other than my 18-135. Did you try taking the grip off when you were having the problems? Did that make the camera work properly?
03-01-2013, 07:49 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I actually unscrewed the grip and screwed it back on. However, it happened again. I can't seem to figure it out. I checked the contacts of the lens and body and they are clean. This has never happened with my Tamron 70-200 with or without the grip.
03-01-2013, 07:53 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by treebeard Quote
I actually unscrewed the grip and screwed it back on. However, it happened again. I can't seem to figure it out. I checked the contacts of the lens and body and they are clean. This has never happened with my Tamron 70-200 with or without the grip.
Weird. Did you check the contacts for the grip, not the lens mount?

03-01-2013, 08:06 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Weird. Did you check the contacts for the grip, not the lens mount?
Yes, they appear clean and everything fits together fine. All the buttons on the grip work so I wonder if something is having an effect on the HSM portion of the lens. It has OS but it's turned off since I use the SR in the camera. What I also noticed though is that when the center focal square does not light up I still get the beep and the camera will take the picture even if it's not in focus.
03-01-2013, 08:16 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Yes, they appear clean and everything fits together fine. All the buttons on the grip work so I wonder if something is having an effect on the HSM portion of the lens. It has OS but it's turned off since I use the SR in the camera. What I also noticed though is that when the center focal square does not light up I still get the beep and the camera will take the picture even if it's not in focus.
I'd try a run without the grip and see if you can recreate the problem. If not then its the grip and at $35 I'd get a new one. If it does recreate without the grip I'd send the camera in for service.
03-01-2013, 08:18 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have another shoot this afternoon and I am going to use that lens exclusively so I will take the grip off and see what happens. It certainly does balance out the camera much better so I can't see myself continuing to shoot without one.

03-01-2013, 08:36 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I have another shoot this afternoon and I am going to use that lens exclusively so I will take the grip off and see what happens. It certainly does balance out the camera much better so I can't see myself continuing to shoot without one.
I agree, when my Pentax grip had a problem I bought a knock off one because I was so used to it that I really wasn't functioning well without one on the camera
03-01-2013, 02:38 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just got back from my shoot. The Sigma did the same thing with the grip off. Not sure what to do at this point. It's my most used lens at the moment due to my assignments. I am going to try it on my newly acquired K-01 and see what happens.
03-01-2013, 03:14 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Just got back from my shoot. The Sigma did the same thing with the grip off. Not sure what to do at this point. It's my most used lens at the moment due to my assignments. I am going to try it on my newly acquired K-01 and see what happens.
Sorry to hear that, but remember that the K-01 uses a different focusing method. I'd try LV on the K-5 and see if it happens because that's the equivalent for the K-01.
03-01-2013, 03:30 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I will try that as well. I really don't think it's an issue with the K-5 since my Tamron 70-200 worked on it, the Sigma 10-20 3.5 HSM worked on it and the 35/2.4 worked on it. I have never had any issues with any of the above mentioned lenses. If it continues to happen with the Sigma 18-50 I will take it out back and sight in my Springfield 30-06 with it.
03-01-2013, 09:23 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Went out tonight to shoot a metal reunion show here at a local hotspot. I did not have any issues.....sheesh this is weird. However, I did some fine adjustments with the lens and I have it at -6 right now.
03-02-2013, 07:12 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I will try that as well. I really don't think it's an issue with the K-5 since my Tamron 70-200 worked on it, the Sigma 10-20 3.5 HSM worked on it and the 35/2.4 worked on it. I have never had any issues with any of the above mentioned lenses. If it continues to happen with the Sigma 18-50 I will take it out back and sight in my Springfield 30-06 with it.
Sigma's service is supposed to be top rate. I'd let them have a crack at it, you can always sight in the 30-06 later.
03-02-2013, 08:02 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Sigma's service is supposed to be top rate. I'd let them have a crack at it, you can always sight in the 30-06 later.
I only have about 2 weeks left shooting down here and then I am going to be moving back to NH. I will deal with it when I get back there since I won't be working for any magazine or newspaper until I get settled in there.