Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2013, 02:23 PM   #1

What Strap?

What strap are you using on your K5?

Im finding the standard strap pretty uncomfortable, especially when I have a heavier lens attached.

03-08-2013, 02:30 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I never use a strap. If I need to carry the camera in ready to shoot condition, then it's carried over my shoulder on the tripod.

Camera's at the science center where I work that have straps drive me nuts...so I generally use my own equipment.
03-08-2013, 02:36 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Black Rapid R strap. BlackRapid Classic (RS-4) Strap

I have two of them.
03-08-2013, 02:41 PM   #4
Veteran Member

You can also strap it around your wrist, but if you are using large lenses, that might not be very.. handy.

03-08-2013, 02:41 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I found pentax strap uncomfortable and changed to a optech strap which was better but still uncomfortable. Then the last couple of walks of about 2 hours long I have a snopro bum bag style camera bag that I turned round to the front and adjusted my camera strap so that the camera just rests on it and brilliant. It is also easier to change lenses as the bag is right in front of me.
03-08-2013, 03:06 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JayX2A Quote
What strap are you using on your K5?

Im finding the standard strap pretty uncomfortable, especially when I have a heavier lens attached.
BlackRapid RS-Sport Extreme, with attachable large Bryce pocket. This allows your camera to hang at your side, is firmly and comfortably attached to your shoulder, and can be raised to eye level immediately. It shifts the weight bearing from your neck to your shoulder, which is much better when using a heavier lens. The attachable pocket carries an extra battery, wallet, extra card etc. For me this is the perfect combo, and I wish I had discovered it earlier.
03-08-2013, 03:15 PM   #7
Forum Member

I was just reading the reviews of sling type straps, and ended up with this one: Camera Straps: UltraFit Sling Strap for Men by JOBY

It arrived just today, so I've only a day long walk in the city with it (total 10 km or so), can't say much of it yet. So far, it works perfectly. Comparing to the Pentax original (and the Pentax original DIY'd to sling strap), it's gold. Got it for 30-something euros at discount somewhere. Feels really good. Well, doesn't, which is why it still feels good after the 10 with K-5 + 70-200 HSM II...

Oh I'd add one point; after the walk, removing shoes, I completely forgot I had the 2 kg hanging in my back. Leaned over, and the K5+70-200 gently and slowly slided to my side. Did not even feel they were going anywhere. That sling strap did work perfectly there - completely secured the heavy combo, and it really did not feel like I was carrying that (try carrying that on your neck for 10 kms and then see if you can forget it's there!).

Last edited by jiimaa; 03-08-2013 at 03:24 PM. Reason: +last paragraph.
03-08-2013, 03:24 PM   #8
Veteran Member

One more with Blackrapid here!
03-08-2013, 03:35 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For me, the camera strap is only a safety device. I never walk around with a camera around my neck. Sure, as I am actively taking pictures, the strap is around my neck, but I never have the camera hanging from the strap. The Camera is always in my hand, and when I am done shooting, it goes back to it's holster/backpack/tripod. The only other time the strap is around my neck is when I am using a monopod or when I am moving a short distance with the camera. The K5 with grip is too heavy to lug around a neck. So for me, the Pentax strap is all I use.
03-08-2013, 03:44 PM   #10

And another one for the BlackRapid
03-08-2013, 04:00 PM   #11
Forum Member

I'm now using the Lens Loop.

I bought one before last Christmas. Even with heavy medium format gear, it makes carrying, and most importantly, deploying my camera a breeze. Highly recommended.

It's a very elegant solution to carrying my camera with me all the time. If I've extra gear with me in a backpack, I'll still comfortably use the lens loop, across my torso, under the backpack.

(I'd looked at the black rapid, but it strikes me as too fiddly.)

To save removing my quick release plate (Manfrotto RC4), I simply screwed the Lens Loop camera connector into a matching quick release "shoe" (RC4).
03-08-2013, 04:02 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Wider, a little spongy, a little stretchy.
03-08-2013, 07:52 PM   #13

Another BlackRapid user here
03-08-2013, 08:13 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I find there is no strap that really works well as a hands off, if nothing else the camera will get to swinging and bumping around on your chest while you walk.
I keep my camera in my hands (both of them because I don't shoot on green with AF lenses like every other dingbat), and just use the strap as insurance, or for when I need to swing it around behind me and climb a cliff or tree with both hands.

I have the stock strap on the K20D, the red canvas like wide strap with the white Pentax logo on my Super Program, and a wide soft crazy colored hipster looking strap on my K1000 that was left over from a long since worn out spottie that makes me look like a damn hipster.
03-08-2013, 08:37 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I'm using a modified Optech.