Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
03-09-2013, 01:02 AM - 1 Like   #16

I would like to have the K-5 IIs, but for me the cost to replace my K-5 isn't worth it. Maybe in 12 months time if there is another upgrade or a price drop I will be tempted, but for now I'll save my money to put towards a new lens.

03-09-2013, 03:43 AM   #17
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Well I'm not waiting, but just have no desire for a new camera this month. All my camera's are still working, K-01, K-01, K-5 II and K-5 Silver. Only the K-5 Silver is starting to be a little tricky in the metering, probably untrusty shuttertiming. Hoping to get along for some time.
03-09-2013, 04:27 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't really care about the next APS-C camera from pentax - sure it will be nice to K5 owners who didn't want to shell out for the K5II/IIs. I'm after the Full frame pentax camera.
03-09-2013, 04:44 AM   #19
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by djc737 Quote
waiting for K-3
If K-3 is the FF, call it what you will, mind you I quite fancy DLX, I'm waiting still, that's 2010, 2011, 2012 and hopefully not to far into the future.

03-09-2013, 05:41 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I love my K-5, but I plan to wait to see what comes out next either K-3 or if full frame becomes real. I did the same when the K-7 came out. I kept my K-20 (still have and use) and waited to see what came out after the K-7.
03-09-2013, 06:14 AM   #21

Original Poster
So the feeling across the board, some are waiting, some don't care(are happy where they are) and some have moved already. My own unrest has been caused by the purchase of a Sigma DP1 and 2 Merrill camera. The shocking revelation that with great light and a very detailed subject, the resolution that I always dreamed of is now available. These cameras blow my DA 15 and 21 on my K-5 out of the water. But, do I really want to carry a bag full of little cameras waiting for great bright light with little or no movement. Not really. But I really want at or close to that resolution from my Dslr gear. Since the recent flood of high MP camera bodies both APC and FF, I have started to see that this is possible. The down side of the releases is that they all bekon you back to the bigger and heavier camps and C or N. I love my FA 43 and 77. I just picked up a beautiful Zeiss 50mm Makro. I fell in love with the size and form of the K-5 and pared with my primes, is a perfect setup for me. When out with my camera club buddies, I look like the guy who brought the P&S, but at the end of the day, I have as many great images and my neck doesn't hurt.
So the K-5 IIs is the first step Pentax has made in the direction I would like to see them go. I know many of you are indifferent to the high MP race but for a landscape photographer, it is like Mana from heaven. I am heading out to Arches NP this summer and would love to be carrying a K-5 size FF body. If not then I guess it will be the next years trip. In the mean time, I just stop into Best Buy and reaffirm that I really don't want anything near the size of a 7D or D7000. I love what Pentax has done and just have to sit on my hands till they catch up sensor wise.
03-09-2013, 07:03 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I know I do...while loving my K5 I also like an upgraded AFsystem and the filterless AA. But I`m really curious to see what the K3 has to offer and official announcement should`nt be far away.
But I`m not in a hurry, the K5 performs quite nicely for 85% of the time.

03-09-2013, 08:56 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm surprised some people still think Pentax may release a FF in 2013. It is not going to happen.
03-09-2013, 09:48 AM   #24

Original Poster
It does not need to be a FF for me. Even a K-5 size body with specs similar to the D7100 would do just fine. I imagine that the IBIS is causing the biggest problem for Pentax. This requires a slightly larger sensor to cover the shifting about so they can not use the same version as Sony or Nikon. So they need to make a special order of a smaller run so the sensor will cost them more than the non IBIS models. All that being acknowledge, just order the buggers and get on with it.
03-09-2013, 10:01 AM   #25
Veteran Member

I did the reverse: after considering the plausible specs and price point of an eventual flagship camera above the K-5II, I bought the latter in late december.
03-09-2013, 10:11 AM   #26
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by john5100 Quote
I have never heard that an I love it
I believe this quote actually belongs to John Greengo Check him out, he is a great photographer and just awesome teacher.

I believe, we as consumers are bound to lose this race with more and more advancing technology (except if you are a surgeon or a ship captain ). So why even try it? If you really know that this camera/lens will allow you to do better as a photographer, buy it, otherwise be happy with what you got and go shoot!
03-10-2013, 02:11 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by djc737 Quote
So the feeling across the board, some are waiting, some don't care(are happy where they are) and some have moved already. My own unrest has been caused by the purchase of a Sigma DP1 and 2 Merrill camera. The shocking revelation that with great light and a very detailed subject, the resolution that I always dreamed of is now available. These cameras blow my DA 15 and 21 on my K-5 out of the water. But, do I really want to carry a bag full of little cameras waiting for great bright light with little or no movement. Not really. But I really want at or close to that resolution from my Dslr gear. Since the recent flood of high MP camera bodies both APC and FF, I have started to see that this is possible. The down side of the releases is that they all bekon you back to the bigger and heavier camps and C or N. I love my FA 43 and 77. I just picked up a beautiful Zeiss 50mm Makro. I fell in love with the size and form of the K-5 and pared with my primes, is a perfect setup for me. When out with my camera club buddies, I look like the guy who brought the P&S, but at the end of the day, I have as many great images and my neck doesn't hurt.
So the K-5 IIs is the first step Pentax has made in the direction I would like to see them go. I know many of you are indifferent to the high MP race but for a landscape photographer, it is like Mana from heaven. I am heading out to Arches NP this summer and would love to be carrying a K-5 size FF body. If not then I guess it will be the next years trip. In the mean time, I just stop into Best Buy and reaffirm that I really don't want anything near the size of a 7D or D7000. I love what Pentax has done and just have to sit on my hands till they catch up sensor wise.
There's a review on youtube by photouniverse who has been printing large with the k5iis and the 5dmk3 and he is saying that the k5iis is printing large landscapes as well as the 5dmk3. Given the size and ergonomics, he says his next photo trip will be with the k5iis (he also has the k5 but finds the iis to have more detail).

Here's the link:

It's a long video, but may address some of your questions regarding the diff b/t the k5 and iis...
03-10-2013, 03:12 AM   #28
Veteran Member

I'd like to see a 'K3' around the end of this year, because then I will have saved enough to buy the out-going K5IIs, which will be at bargain basement prices.
And the K5IIs will be a fantastic upgrade from the K7.

Regards
03-10-2013, 05:03 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
No problem, I have three cameras from yesterday that can (K20D, K-x, K-01).

I like the K-5 IIs, but I'm holding out for a K-3s. I want all the best features of the K-30 and K-5 IIs, with 20 or 24mp sensor for increased resolution and lower chance of moire, and AF improvements.

Remember that the full frame sensor may have more more pixels, but they are spread out over a larger area. So actual resolution may not increase. My K5 is a year old now but the K5 IIs intrigues me as I do mostly outdoor and nature photography. I have come close to pulling the trigger a few times but haven't as of yet. Heck, I don't even own an auto focus lens. My newest lens is some 20 years old.

I still have my first SLR. A Mamiya/Sekor 500 DTL that i got in 1970. It cemented my love of spot metering. The spot meter area was a shaded square along the bottom of the viewfinder. Move desired area to that spot. Set the exposure you want, recompose and shoot. I Still think that the little needle centering in the "C" on the side of the viewfinder was the best exposure indicator ever. Of course, 1/3 to 1/2 stop under exposure for slide film. Overexpose bright scenes. Everything metered to the 18% grey card. Still got a few of those too.
03-10-2013, 06:28 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Remember that the full frame sensor may have more more pixels, but they are spread out over a larger area. So actual resolution may not increase.
The next Pentax flagship body will not be FF, which is fine by me, because APS-C is what I want.

Regarding resolution, your statement is incorrect. More pixels on a larger sensor show more resolution than fewer pixels on a smaller sensor, all else being relatively equal. DXOMark makes this sort of comparison possible, because they test lenses on multiple bodies. Here's an example, comparing the Nikkor 50mm f1.8G on a 12mp APS-C D90 body, a 16mp APS-C D7000 body and a 16mp FF D3X body:

DxOMark - Compare lenses

DXO state resolution in terms of megapixels. The same lens scores
  • 8mp on the D90
  • 10mp on the D7000
  • 16mp on the D3X
  • 9mp on the 12mp FF D700 body