Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
03-15-2013, 03:15 AM   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dynamo Quote
if you put the dial at that green box, camera will do every thing for you breakfast, washing, ironing etc
I already have 3 servants; Av, TAv and M, that I find more than adequate.

Evidently from my Flickr details.

03-15-2013, 03:23 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
M, Av & TAv mostly ... Green mode is for when I ask my wife to take snap with the K-5 ... J
03-15-2013, 07:59 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I never shoot in Green mode. Green mode occasionally chooses the wrong "Scene" preset and ruins the photo. AWB can be wonky, especially in mixed light. Bright Image Tone is sometimes inappropriately punchy and hard to correct in post-processing. I don't want the camera to guess at what I'm trying to achieve, I want to tell the camera what to do.

Program allows you to control image tone, (sharpness, saturation, contrast, white balance), and noise reduction. As long as you use raw, all of these are infinitely variable. P mode also allows you control of DOF, MTF, motion blur and shake with a simple twist of a control wheel. I want to select what I focus on, and what else in the frame is in focus or in the bokeh. There's really no comparison for anyone who knows photography. Pentax Program mode is awesome, Green mode is awful.

Last edited by audiobomber; 03-15-2013 at 08:07 AM.
03-25-2013, 06:00 AM   #49

Photos: Gallery
i once strayed from the green mode, and found it way too scary!

however, i will look into Understanding Exposure.

03-25-2013, 06:03 AM   #50
Veteran Member

Green mode,,yeah heard of it, never really understood it, so never used it.
03-25-2013, 12:54 PM   #51
Veteran Member

No green or P mode here... I'm strictly a Av, TAv and M mode user.

Pat
03-25-2013, 01:08 PM - 1 Like   #52
Pentaxian

nope, never. I mainly prefer the maximum control of M mode, but I occasionally use Tav for splashing waves or low light movement.

03-25-2013, 01:56 PM   #53
Veteran Member

I mostly use manual but if I've got a hawk on a street light or a heron in the yard you bet I use it. There are times for point and shoot. When you're trying to get something set up fast that setting can be a very good thing. Me, I don't fiddle too much when I don't have time. I like to mostly. I'm pretty anal about wanting to control everything my camera does myself but full auto can come in handy once in a while.
03-25-2013, 02:26 PM   #54
Inactive Account

I think I've only used it a couple of times when I just couldn't get the right exposure on the built in flash. I use Hyper program alot so I probably use that in a quasi-auto way. My wife is educated and uses P and now looks for it on our point and shoots
Maybe they should remove the green and leave it blank- be the first DSLR to not advertise the fact it has a auto mode! ;p
In all seriousness make the space on the dial programmable so we can use the spot for something else- same goes for my movie mode, I jut don't use it on my K7.
03-25-2013, 02:48 PM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tried green a few times when I first got into digital SLR, now just TAV or M modes only.
03-25-2013, 02:55 PM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
Green mode,,yeah heard of it, never really understood it, so never used it.
ditto me.
03-25-2013, 03:10 PM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I never shoot in Green mode. Green mode occasionally chooses the wrong "Scene" preset and ruins the photo. AWB can be wonky, especially in mixed light. Bright Image Tone is sometimes inappropriately punchy and hard to correct in post-processing. I don't want the camera to guess at what I'm trying to achieve, I want to tell the camera what to do.

Program allows you to control image tone, (sharpness, saturation, contrast, white balance), and noise reduction. As long as you use raw, all of these are infinitely variable. P mode also allows you control of DOF, MTF, motion blur and shake with a simple twist of a control wheel. I want to select what I focus on, and what else in the frame is in focus or in the bokeh. There's really no comparison for anyone who knows photography. Pentax Program mode is awesome, Green mode is awful.
You seem like the bossy type.
03-25-2013, 04:52 PM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
I mostly use manual but if I've got a hawk on a street light or a heron in the yard you bet I use it.
Do you just hit the green button?
03-26-2013, 09:16 PM   #59

Yeah, I use it when needed

And I need it when I'm taking a shot at 85mph from my motorcycle. Yes, I DO that at times, and I've had a few nice shots with the K10D because of it. Now that I have a K5, it's "M", with green ONLY if I need a quick shot, it will be gone in 1.5 seconds. I did start with a K1000 a "few" years ago, so I do remember how to set most of the dials and buttons. I think one should know as much as possible about the tools he uses, and part of that is understanding what the green mode can and cannot do. It's just another tool in the box, so to speak.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
03-26-2013, 09:54 PM   #60
Banned

I generally use the "Hyper" mode unless I'm trying to do something creative or have tricky lighting. A few years ago, I shot some 200 photos at a Ringling Bros. Circus using my *ist DL on Green mode, and it did quite well in the ever changing lighting, not really a bad shot in the bunch!