Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2013, 03:27 PM   #1
Banned

Photos: Gallery
SR-difference between K-5 and K-5 II

Well I didn't read about it so just a thread.

I do sports for a while now. I shot a lot of images with K-5 (Silver) and DA*300mm on monopod. With that I also have SR set ON. Works fine (not all images good), aldo some images have the SR-not ready and thus not sharp image. I rescently changed to the K-5 II with this lens and now I have double vision images, clearly SR-results. The SR says stabalised, but there is a double in the image. With SR turned OFF this problem is gone. So as far as I know the two camera's have a different functional SR-system!

Anyone can say something about this?

03-27-2013, 03:57 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I have the K5IIs, came from the K5. My only impression so far, is that the SR on the K5IIs is working noticeably better than it did on the K5. It's actually at the level of my former Olympus E5 shake reduction. At long focal lengths however, it is supposed to be far less effective, and I can confirm that from using the Sigma 500/4.5. What you are describing however sounds like a SR issue. I have experienced it with the Olympus E5 sporadically on random shots when using SR, but if it occurs on all your shots, something might be wrong.
03-27-2013, 03:59 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Thanks for letting us know Ron. I don't have a K-5II but have been waiting for awhile for the price to come down.. I expected a new 24MP model to apply downward pressure on the price but that doesn't appear to be happening for some time now.

I thought I'd miss SR (VR or VC) on my Nikon 300 F/4 but I haven't as yet. I'm finding that I'm getting really sharp results with my D800E with the 300 plus a 1.4x converter without any VR (SR). Obviously, you need to keep the shutter speed as fast as possible, but you tend to do that for sports and wildlife anyway.
03-27-2013, 04:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Got pictures?

03-28-2013, 01:12 AM   #5

I have a similar problem with my K20. Usually the SR works very impressively for my 400mm lens, but when I try to hold it really steady, maybe by resting on something, the SR sometimes produces a double image. It is generally recommended to switch off SR on a tripod, and it seems that sometimes, when holding the camera really still, the SR (mis)behaves as if the camera is tripod mounted. I struggle to determine the threshold point, and have lost images due to this. Maybe you are experiencing something similar and just holding the new camera a fraction too steadily on that day? Perhaps there is some slight variation in the SR activation threshold between cameras?
03-28-2013, 02:46 AM   #6
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Louicio Quote
Got pictures?
I think I trashed all the bad once. Will look into that later.
03-28-2013, 05:07 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The only thing related that I have noticed once in a while in the past, is forgetting and leaving the SR on when shooting on a tripod. Half way through shooting a certain subject, I would remember and turn it off. Later when viewing my images, I didn't notice any difference in the images being SR on or off (shooting with K-5 and FA* 300 4.5).

It always made me wonder why everyone always says to turn SR off when using a tripod........

03-28-2013, 06:26 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
The only thing related that I have noticed once in a while in the past, is forgetting and leaving the SR on when shooting on a tripod. Half way through shooting a certain subject, I would remember and turn it off. Later when viewing my images, I didn't notice any difference in the images being SR on or off (shooting with K-5 and FA* 300 4.5).

It always made me wonder why everyone always says to turn SR off when using a tripod........
Do you use multi exposure or mirror lock up when on tripod? I usually do and that automatically disables the SR.
03-28-2013, 06:37 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Do you use multi exposure or mirror lock up when on tripod? I usually do and that automatically disables the SR.
Sometimes yes, and I do realize that the SR is disabled with the timer or mirror lock up. I guess I should explain a bit further - I am usually using a gimbal head. Now I know I am fairly stabilized on the gimbal, but I still have at least one hand on the camera, plus there is the possibility of camera movement since I never lock the head down when actively shooting. That is kind of what I wrote it off as.