Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2013, 12:27 AM   #1

K5 Pre-flash too bright?

I have noticed on the K5 the pre-flash is very bright and almost full power. I started to notice this when taking pictures of people and they complain that the flash hurt their eyes. I never had this with previous cameras i've used like the kx, k30, k100d.

From past pentax cameras, the pre-flash has been at very low power. But on the K5, pre-flash seems to be alot brighter than the actual picture taking flash.

Camera has latest firmware.

04-03-2013, 06:33 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Using off camera flash doesn't help either. Look up k5 and flash and you'll have reading material for the rest of the week.
04-03-2013, 06:48 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Can't speak for the K-5 though I am assuming that likely it does since it's the semi-pro model but there's usually a setting in the menu where you can tone that down? I think you'd have to change it manually though if it's too bright for you. I could be wrong but I think if you put the setting on like -1 or -2 for flash in general it will likely also affect how much pre-flash you get. I usually do tone down the flash on most cameras when I am using the red eye mode or don't even use one at all for a lot of other situations. But I do have to tell the camera how much flash to use. I've always found the internal flash settings to be too strong and annoying actually. Even with turning it down on the cameras that allow me to I still end up covering the flash with something like a semi-transparent white deodorant cap to diffuse it. I that with any add on flashes too. I may have to use a flash sometimes but I don't like how harsh it is.
04-03-2013, 01:34 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by usmcxm35 Quote
Using off camera flash doesn't help either. Look up k5 and flash and you'll have reading material for the rest of the week.
i've seen the topics relating to overexposure from the flash, or external ones, but I dont see anything on the intensity of the pre-flash.

The adjustment only adjust the actual flash output, but the pre-flash remains the same high brightness.

04-03-2013, 05:03 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Diffuser may help you with both pre-flash and the actual flash as well.
04-03-2013, 07:10 PM   #6
MSL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A well known problem. Using an external flash can help if you can manually control its power settings. Diffuser will also help, but you have to guess a bit more to get the right exposure settings. P-TTL flash and aspects of the auto-focus system are my two main disappointments with the K-5.
04-05-2013, 07:02 PM   #7

Photos: Albums
Indeed, There is the same issue with the on board flash when used as wireless commander, it definitely contributes to the overall exposure. This was not an issue with the kx...

04-06-2013, 08:20 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Is your flash set to red-eye reduction mode? That works by deliberately firing a strong pre-flash, to dilate the subject's pupils.

For that reason I never use red-eye reduction, it's so annoying, and sometimes people start moving off because they think I already took the shot.