Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-03-2013, 10:19 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi

Make sure you have the latest FW update installed. Your model may still run the first old FW.

Greetings

04-03-2013, 11:59 PM   #17
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For AF in low light, Ash and Chukie pointed you to the right direction:

+ LED AF assist in low light is a must IMO, and

+ MF in very-very low light is the best pption by far.

And welcome to the forum. .
04-04-2013, 01:59 AM   #18
Forum Member

I haven't held the other Pentax cameras, but the K-5 will make you an addict. (to the camera, obviously)
04-04-2013, 02:31 AM   #19
Banned

have fun with your nw toy.

04-04-2013, 04:20 AM   #20

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by urundai Quote
@Clicker : So, I am thinking of the tamron 28-75, which gives nice range covering street photography to portrait in f2.8. I can use it indoors at least and it isn't very expensive.
I've had my K-r for a couple of years now. It has been a learning curve, including figuring out the lenses you need. I started with kit 18-55 then got the DA 55-300 to give me a nice set. Then got into a couple of primes. However, I still felt like I didn't have a good walkabout lens and found myself swapping around a lot and having to carry more than I want when on days out. When out and about I mainly just take pics of family and of wherever we are.

I found the 18-55 wasn't quite long enough, but using the 55-300 I often wanted something just shorter so would swap a lot. For a prime though the DA 35 2.4 is very good but I still wanted some zoom range.

I then started looking at the 18-135 but this is quite pricey and not a fast lens, which I want for nice shallow DOF pics of family etc and to use more indoors as well. Anyway, after lots of research I purchased a 2nd hand Tamron 28-75 and so far am finding it perfect range. I don't need any wider for my walkabout and the range to 85 is perfect. I find anything beyond that and I struggle to keep the camera steady enough for handheld anyway.

Therefore I think I am now going to be pretty happy with the 28-75 and because the DA 35 2.4 is so small and light I will probably chuck that in as well. I then have my other lenses for when I am doing something photography specific versus just out and about.

To cut a long story short, I recommend the 28-75 for a walkabout, unless maybe you want to do a lot of landscape stuff. In my case I don't so 28-75 is great and any longer I figure I'd need a tripod.
04-04-2013, 05:58 AM   #21
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree, use manual focus and you might even get help from the red square and beep from the focusing system. I went further and got the Katz Eyes focusing screen which is a great help.
04-04-2013, 09:12 AM   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rnovo Quote
I agree, use manual focus and you might even get help from the red square and beep from the focusing system. I went further and got the Katz Eyes focusing screen which is a great help.
Thanks everyone for the responses. AF assist seems to help somewhat, when I tried it.

Is there an easy way to put the camera to MF when using 18-135mm? I don't see a switch on the lens and I have assigned the "AF" button to cancel AF. While this works, it's a bit tedious to continue holding the AF button to fine tune the focus, when hand held. Any other way to cancel the AF and put the camera in MF quickly?

04-04-2013, 09:44 AM   #23

When holding the camera in shooting position, bottom-left on the front of the camera body (near the lens mount) is a manual lever switch- select MF.
04-04-2013, 09:46 AM   #24

One more helpful tip...

When using the center AF spot, also keep in mind that:
- The ends of the center horizontal and vertical AF sensors '+' extend almost to the center circle ( ) markings of the original equipment focusing screen.
- Any line of greatest contrast with in the ( ) is going to grab the attention of the sensors, regardless of whether it is the intended subject or not.
04-04-2013, 10:02 AM   #25

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by One3rdEV Quote
When holding the camera in shooting position, bottom-left on the front of the camera body (near the lens mount) is a manual lever switch- select MF.
I feel so stupid now. I do remember the AF-S, AF-C & MF switch. Sometimes, we miss the obvious.
04-04-2013, 10:06 AM   #26

Original Poster
One more helpful tip...

When using the center AF spot, also keep in mind that:
- The ends of the center horizontal and vertical AF sensors '+' extend almost to the center circle ( ) markings of the original equipment focusing screen.
- Any line of greatest contrast with in the ( ) is going to grab the attention of the sensors, regardless of whether it is the intended subject or not.
Thank you. I wasn't aware of that. Does this impact the AWB or even the focus itself? I was under the impression that the small red rectangle is what controls the focus but it might be a wider area based on your description.

I also keep hearing great things about Katzeye and other focusing screens. They are a bit expensive (making my K-5 get almost close to the K-5 ii price in the states). Do they make a substantial difference in focus performance / assistance?
04-04-2013, 10:21 AM   #27
Site Supporter

I think they are helpful for the manual focus crowd, but that will be the same whether it is a K5 or a K30.
04-04-2013, 10:50 AM   #28
Pentaxian

The 18-135 is a quick shift lens so you don't need to put it into manual focus if you don't want to.
04-04-2013, 10:56 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by urundai Quote
Thanks everyone for the responses. AF assist seems to help somewhat, when I tried it.

Is there an easy way to put the camera to MF when using 18-135mm? I don't see a switch on the lens and I have assigned the "AF" button to cancel AF. While this works, it's a bit tedious to continue holding the AF button to fine tune the focus, when hand held. Any other way to cancel the AF and put the camera in MF quickly?
Ya there is a way to put the camera into manual focus, and someone described how you can do that, but one thing that hasn't been mentioned to you is the quickshift option of this lens, basically you just press the shutter button like you are focusing, then while holding that button in that position, just turn the focusing ring for your own manual control of the focus, that is one thing I really like about the 18-135 lens, I pretty much have the same set up as you and I find that that particular lens is on the camera 90% of the time, it gets a lot of use.
I too have brought my set up on water rides at Disney world, I even had the grip on it too, they thought I was insane when I demanded to hang on to my camera and have it exposed to the elements, most others with cameras had to stow away their cameras so they wont get them wet, it was those moments I was rather proud to be carrying Pentax gear, but then again I have always been proud to be using quality reliable equipment such as Pentax
04-04-2013, 11:07 AM   #30

I like hearing that someone from the Canikon world has made the switch. Usually it's the other way around in my area. Congrats and enjoy! : )