Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2013, 02:00 PM   #1
Forum Member

New to Pentax, New to Photography

I just received my first real camera yesterday. A brand new Pentax k-5 with the 18-55mm wr lens. I've been reading this forum and a lot of other beginner guides. I thought I would post some pics from yesterday and see if I could get some constructive criticism. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by liquid85; 04-06-2013 at 06:01 PM.
04-06-2013, 02:24 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like your pictures, especially the Philco sign, and the rusty lock - they tell a good story. I think I spy a spider's silk thread in the rusty lock photo - that's great detail and good focusing. I like to see weathered stuff, and it looks like it attracts your eye, too.

Is that Trenton NJ, Trenton Ontario Canada or elsewhere? (I grew up near Trenton, ON).
04-06-2013, 02:32 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome!

First, we have a dedicated critique section here: Photo Critique - PentaxForums.com and you might get more response to a request for critique there than in the general forum.

Second, here is a link on how to post pictures on the forum in case you have not seen it: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/6-how-upload-photos-begi...tart-here.html If you post too large a size they do not show properly and make it hard to see.

And most important: You have an excellent eye! The composition and subject of those is very, very good. However, may I suggest you read up a bit on light and how to use it. Those are excellent concepts but would be much better in different lighting.
04-06-2013, 02:50 PM   #4

First and foremost DON'T look at gear and reviews for at least 6 months.
Second-you have great camera and really good lens (no matter what people say). USE them as much as you can and in time you will find out what you want to shoot.
3. Shoot JPEGs ONLY. They are much less forgiveing and that will force you to do things right IN CAMERA and not to depend on post production.
Find tutorials for beginers,learn basics of digital photography- aparature-shutter relationship and shoot,shoot,shoot)

04-06-2013, 02:52 PM   #5

P S
Nice images.)
Just keep on shooting.)
04-06-2013, 03:09 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Reliant K1000 Quote
I like your pictures, especially the Philco sign, and the rusty lock - they tell a good story. I think I spy a spider's silk thread in the rusty lock photo - that's great detail and good focusing. I like to see weathered stuff, and it looks like it attracts your eye, too.

Is that Trenton NJ, Trenton Ontario Canada or elsewhere? (I grew up near Trenton, ON).
Thanks a lot. Yeah I like the way old stuff looks. The textures and colors. It's actually in West Monroe Louisiana. The "Trenton" part is the name of an area here.

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Welcome!

First, we have a dedicated critique section here: Photo Critique - PentaxForums.com and you might get more response to a request for critique there than in the general forum.

Second, here is a link on how to post pictures on the forum in case you have not seen it: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/6-how-upload-photos-begi...tart-here.html If you post too large a size they do not show properly and make it hard to see.

And most important: You have an excellent eye! The composition and subject of those is very, very good. However, may I suggest you read up a bit on light and how to use it. Those are excellent concepts but would be much better in different lighting.
Sorry. I didn't read any of those posts. Should have. Thanks for the input. Any particular articles or links you could direct me to on light? I'd love learn all that I can.

QuoteOriginally posted by Dario79 Quote
P S
Nice images.)
Just keep on shooting.)
Thank you very much.
04-06-2013, 03:32 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by liquid85 Quote
Sorry. I didn't read any of those posts. Should have.
No worries! This is a very friendly forum and I was just trying to get you started right. Please don't take anything I said (except about the pictures) as criticism. You really do have a good eye and that is rare in someone just starting. You do need to work on your technique and figure out the light. As someone above noted, don't even look at the gear sections, just shoot and improve. You have an excellent camera and a good starter lens.

This is a very large forum, do take the time to look around a bit. At the top are sections for camera and lens reviews which contain full descriptions of every camera or lens Pentax has ever made. There is also an article section with lots of 'How to' articles. There is also a very nice marketplace for buy and sell if you get to that place.

Scroll through the various forum sections and try to put a post in the spot that makes the most sense. Nobody is going to complain if you don't but I've found you get more responses to questions in the right section as everyone does not read all of the sections.

Looking forward to seeing more pictures from you.

Best,
John

04-06-2013, 03:35 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi and welcome!

K-5 + DA 18-55 WR + your images = a very good start.

The colours in the Philco image are striking. Several additional images of the Trenton Appliance Co could tell more of the story perhaps - storefront, street view, etc.

Please post more of your photos. Don't hesitate to ask about anything Pentax and photography!

- Craig
04-06-2013, 06:08 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
I removed the pictures from this thread and added them plus a few more to the critique forum. Thanks for the help and check out the new ones I posted.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photo-critique/220967-architecture-new-pe...ml#post2341940