Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2013, 10:36 AM   #1

Any general benefits to firmware 1.03 for k-5iis?

Hi all. My Pentax k-5 iis still has firmware 1.00 on it. Are there general areas where I might see benefits from upgrading to a more recent firmware rev?

I don't use bounce flash (an area where I understand there's an exposure fix benefit to 1.03), and I just use the standard 18mm-55mm zoom and the 1.4mm fixed. I just use it for basic photography.

I hesitate to proceed with just as part of regular maintenance, give some claims about freezes. But if there's good reason to upgrade (new menu features, better focus with above lenses, etc.), then it might be worth the risk.

Thanks much.

04-07-2013, 11:44 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The rule of thumb is simple: if the first number after the 1 changes, then you're looking at new features. If it's the second number, then the firmware most likely just includes bugfixes and other minor improvements, and that's the case with the K-5 II's firmware.

I generally always upgrade my firmware when a new version comes out, and unless the file gets corrupted or something like that, or if your camera isn't fully charged, then the probability that your camera will get bricked is next to none.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: