Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2013, 11:01 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
which to buy between the K- series?

I know if I had the money,of course the k-5 iis but I'm on a budget and lucky enough to be getting a new one.

Here's The shake down. I'm going to be getting into portraits and weddings pretty heavy and I want a camera that is going to deliver great pictures in all cases. If I get just the K-5 will it be sufficient enough or am I missing out on some much needed features that the 5 II or 5 IIs can deliver. Are the extra features ABSOLUTELY necessary?

Thanks a lot folks. Very appreciated. This forum is full of great people.

04-15-2013, 11:13 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

K-5 is a very good choice ... you won't regret it.

Opinions on K-5 vs K-5II vs K-5IIs are very different ... in the end, the bottom of the line is that no matter what you are choosing, you will be able to get very good results with either of the cameras when paired with good lenses.
04-15-2013, 11:13 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For weddings the advantages of the II and IIs may not be necessary. Moire is more likely to show up in patterns like those seen in wedding dresses so the Iis might be a poor choice. The biggest advantage for me of the II over the Original K-5 is the lower light focusing. For a wedding you're going to be using flash and such. The K-5 is better for this purpose than the k-30 IMHO because of the grip option for the K-5 - added battery, vertical controls, etc.

The good thing is that there are some solid wedding photogs here that will be able to help you out, but I saw some great wedding photos last year done with a K-20D - and its from 2008, so it really comes down to the photog and the lenses IMHO.
04-15-2013, 12:05 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
so it really comes down to the photog and the lenses IMHO.
+1 Weddings have been done with a lot of different cameras for many years. If you have good glass and really understand what needs done the camera body is not all that important. But understanding how the event flows and where you need to be each minute is hugely important.

I see no advantage of the k-5II over the k-5 for portraits and weddings. Save a bit on the body and invest in good glass and lighting.

04-15-2013, 12:20 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
+1 Weddings have been done with a lot of different cameras for many years. If you have good glass and really understand what needs done the camera body is not all that important. But understanding how the event flows and where you need to be each minute is hugely important.

I see no advantage of the k-5II over the k-5 for portraits and weddings. Save a bit on the body and invest in good glass and lighting.
Good point. In the US the price difference between the K-5 and K-5II is substantial. The K-5 can be had new for around $600 and the II for $1000. That $400 could get you a nice f2.8 zoom (used) or a 40Limited (new) for example.
04-15-2013, 12:53 PM   #6
Forum Member

I agree with Docrwm, get the K-5 with the f2.8 zoom (Tamron SP 17-50) and maybe a flash depending on your budget.

Having one additional lens will give you much more of an advantage than having improved AF (under specific conditions).
04-15-2013, 01:23 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TrueFocus Quote
I agree with Docrwm, get the K-5 with the f2.8 zoom (Tamron SP 17-50) and maybe a flash depending on your budget.

Having one additional lens will give you much more of an advantage than having improved AF (under specific conditions).
Ah, flash. I just got a 540 used off the forum and P-TTL is interesting. I've had a Tumax TTL flash for a couple of years that works well with triggers and in manual mode and cost around $100. There are some other flashes that are more expensive that do P-TTL but an off camera flash and triggers (Cowboy Studios NP-4s are inexpensive and have worked flawlessly for me) is another significant need.

04-15-2013, 07:41 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If budget is a concern, why not think of the K30? It's a great camera too. I have both the K5 and the K30 and I noiced that the K30's AF is faster and better in low light.
« GPS | dropped K-5II »