Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2013, 09:29 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
dropped K-5II

My daughter grabbed my K-5II off the desk and promptly dropped it. I wasn't in the room, and only found out when i heard my wife scream. I have taken a few shots with it since, and so far have not noticed any issues, but I am wondering it there is a more systematic way to check for any damage. The floor that it fell on is a relatively soft wood laminate. Also, what would some tell-tale signs of damage to the camera and/or lens be. There is no obvious physical damage. I am more worried about the less obvious, i.e. the sensor or lens being knocked out of proper alignment, etc. Please PF members....set my soul at ease and tell me it is going to be ok....

04-15-2013, 09:41 PM   #2

I had the same kind of issue at the beginning of this year.
The only obvious mark was a hairline crack just below the top display, everything else seemed to be fine.
I would advise you to check if your AF is working as it should. In my case, even with -10 and -10 the kit lens i had a remarkable front focus.
But I sent it to service and they replaced the body ;-)
04-15-2013, 10:19 PM   #3
Veteran Member

That's why you own a K5 - takes a beating. I have fallen with gear a few times - just destroy flash guns. Unlike my first pentax - the spotmatic needed a new light meter every time it was dropped. The only think that has killed any of my 6 digital pentax cameras has been a bottle of sprite. The sugar crept in muddled the electronics and stiffened the knobs. Metering is a stop out and sometimes the colous go crazy.
04-15-2013, 10:21 PM   #4

don't worry my little one drop K-5 on granite floor and nothing happens, just check basic functions if that is ok than probably everything is ok.

04-15-2013, 10:40 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob from Aus Quote
has been a bottle of sprite. The sugar crept in muddled the electronics and stiffened the knobs.
LOL, that brought back memories. My mom spilled a vanilla milkshake into my dad's brand new 8mm movie camera back in the day. (8mm film). It never did work right again. I don't think he ever forgave her, 20 years later he was still grumbling about it.
04-15-2013, 11:21 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Are your floorboards OK?

Seriously -
I would check that the view through the finder still lines up with the sensor. You can do this by lining up through the viewfinder at a known horizontal grid - (perhaps use a spirit level) and then check to see if the photo you take is horizontal also.
04-15-2013, 11:25 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
LOL, that brought back memories. My mom spilled a vanilla milkshake into my dad's brand new 8mm movie camera back in the day. (8mm film). It never did work right again. I don't think he ever forgave her, 20 years later he was still grumbling about it.

My Sony Camcorder ended up at the bottom of a 5 foot deep outdoor jacuzzi(don't ask how).

04-15-2013, 11:57 PM   #8
Veteran Member

You should try to make a shot with a long exposure time to check if there is no problem with the S.R..
That's what append to my K200D after a hard fall on concrete : if i use a speed up to 1/2 second, the sensor moves alone, and make it unusuable for long exposure shots.

Regards,
Arno
04-16-2013, 12:12 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Check the onboard flash, when my *istDS had a fall the flash died.

Also check the AF, again, after the fall my AF has some extra play (ie: once AF locked you can wiggle the focus ring slightly so it's not in focus)
I'm not certain that that's an issue with the screw drive, or the lens (I only own one AF lens)

Have you considered sending your daughter to work in the coal mines? it may work out to be the most cost effective option, she can earn money to replace the camera.
And you also get a steady stream of coal you can use to heat the house in winter.

(btw, I am joking here, I don't actually condone child labour of any form)

Last edited by hks_kansei; 04-16-2013 at 12:21 AM. Reason: Adding some humour.
04-16-2013, 05:26 AM   #10

-----

Last edited by joeheb; 09-23-2013 at 02:01 AM.